Record Zed.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Record Zed.

Post by Chris Hammond »

I was trying to relate the tale of the bloke who posted a pic of a scraper double and tried to claim it as a twenty plus record from.an EA ressie a few years back to a mate.

Anybody able to remind me of who, when, and where please?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Record Zed.

Post by Carlperkins »

That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Photos can be deceptive. It's got some tail wrist on it, the chap is in winter clothing, fish held to body, and he might be 6' 6". That one looks a good bit better than a scrapper double to me.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

He is a big lad
It’s our own Micky Dolan πŸ‘
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 13 2022 20:11 -
Photos can be deceptive. It's got some tail wrist on it, the chap is in winter clothing, fish held to body, and he might be 6' 6". That one looks a good bit better than a scrapper double to me.
Spot on. I`ve fished with a few big lads who make 20s look like low doubles in pics, and conversely, i`ve fished with a few hobbits who make doubles look like mid 20s :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

.....can never judge from a pic with any accuracy unless you know the angler`s size imo :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Thu Oct 13 2022 19:57 -
That's the one thanks Karl. πŸ‘

Edit ...er no it isn't. 😚
Last edited by Chris Hammond on Fri Oct 14 2022 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: ↑Thu Oct 13 2022 21:30 -
Spot on. I`ve fished with a few big lads who make 20s look like low doubles in pics, and conversely, i`ve fished with a few hobbits who make doubles look like mid 20s :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

.....can never judge from a pic with any accuracy unless you know the angler`s size imo :thumbs:
You think it was a record then Mark?

I've said much the same on here for years and defended many an angler from tte PP kangaroo court. 😁
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Ahh remember it very well :grin:
2009 Chris
6 ft 1" and 17 and a half Stone , but pictures of me can be deceptive . :lol:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

AgreedπŸ‘My mate is about five six ( a foot shorter than me) and about 11 stone ,I hate seeing his photos of mid doubles that look about twenty five pound🀣
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 01:00 -

You think it was a record then Mark?

I've said much the same on here for years and defended many an angler from tte PP kangaroo court. 😁
Dont` know, don`t really care tbh....all i said was that photos can be deceptive unless you know if the angler`s a big lad or not :thumbs:

I also think people are so used to the current trend of "fish held out for the camera to make it look huge" type pics that everyone posts nowadays, when you get a pic like this where the fish is held close to the body, it throws people.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

micky dolan wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 07:15 -
2009 Chris
I'm getting my stories mixed up Micky. That's not the zed I was thinking of. If you look back to the thread in question I actually defended you. It looks like a whopper.

I have proven many times over on here that it is IMPOSSIBLE to gauge the size of a fish without knowing the angler.

I could put up a picture of a 27lbs 6ozs pike that, had I not forewarned you, literally everybody would guess at less than 12lbs. It was caught during a pike qualifier and witnessed by perhaps six or more anglers. :thumbs:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

2009 Chris

Looks a very decent zander to me ... i have never had a double myself

Was it a record ... just interested
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

you're not by chance thinking of the Thames 20 Chris, caught by an angling guide? Warwick something or other. I dont recall any other claimed 20's out of AW
James Dobie.
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 12:56 -
2009 Chris
I'm getting my stories mixed up Micky. That's not the zed I was thinking of. If you look back to the thread in question I actually defended you. It looks like a whopper.

I have proven many times over on here that it is IMPOSSIBLE to gauge the size of a fish without knowing the angler.

I could put up a picture of a 27lbs 6ozs pike that, had I not forewarned you, literally everybody would guess at less than 12lbs. It was caught during a pike qualifier and witnessed by perhaps six or more anglers. :thumbs:
Thanks Chris :thumbs: the story ran for a good few pages on the old forum ....
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 14:15 -
2009 Chris

Hi Alex British Record Fish Committee only rejected it due to being weighed on a boat . :eek:
Think there was a 24lb last year from the Severn , the guy never put it forward for a record :shrug:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

dropped_run wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 14:37 -
you're not by chance thinking of the Thames 20 Chris, caught by an angling guide? Warwick something or other. I dont recall any other claimed 20's out of AW
I think an increase in years has tripped me up tbh. 😚

I think I am mixing up a couple of stories and completely c ocking it up! 😚
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 16:31 -
I think an increase in years has tripped me up tbh. 😚

I think I am mixing up a couple of stories and completely c ocking it up! 😚
Didn't stop me dropping my beer & dinner, thinking that someone had just caught a new Record Zed Chris. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

No one’s caught a new record zed because a) r the weighing of Micks fish did not meet BRFC standards. Any other of it hasn’t been reported then it doesn’t exist even though it might!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Neville Fickling wrote: ↑Sat Oct 15 2022 12:15 -
No one’s caught a new record zed because a) r the weighing of Micks fish did not meet BRFC standards. Any other of it hasn’t been reported then it doesn’t exist even though it might!!
The unknown unknowns?
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Thank you ex American defence sec!!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Donald Rumsfelt
Happy to be alive!!!!
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I'm 6'3, 17 stone and make a 20lb fish look very small when I hold it close like that. Its hard to judge pics like this unless you know the person but I reckon thats a very big Zander.
Mmmmmmmm yes
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

micky dolan wrote: ↑Fri Oct 14 2022 15:19 -
2009 Chris

Hi Alex British Record Fish Committee only rejected it due to being weighed on a boat . :eek:
Think there was a 24lb last year from the Severn , the guy never put it forward for a record :shrug:
Thanks Micky, obviously didn't know if you had actually submitted it, but can see why they rejected it then

Did you know it was a record when you caught it !
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Sat Oct 15 2022 20:09 -
2009 Chris

Thanks Micky, obviously didn't know if you had actually submitted it, but can see why they rejected it then

Pred who was in another boat near me thought it was , and a couple of trout anglers who witnessed it said they thought it could be ..
Antione
Roach
Roach

Post by Antione »

Not directly related to the record Zed, but..
I was delighted to have been present at the Yorkshire Regional PAC meeting last week at which Steve Lyon and Ian Wilson delivered a stunning presentation on their Zander captures on the Terrence over the last few years. If you ever get the chance to see their presentation, prepare to be astounded!
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

micky dolan wrote: ↑Sun Oct 16 2022 05:08 -
Alex Fox wrote: ↑Sat Oct 15 2022 20:09 -
2009 Chris

Pred who was in another boat near me thought it was , and a couple of trout anglers who witnessed it said they thought it could be ..

Problem is time, if we catch a decent fish we just want to get it back safely ... so back it goes !

Would still have been cool to be the record holder though :pipe:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Big Zander are very impressive creatures indeed. :cheers:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Lets face it a tailors tape measure weighs nothing and takes the majority of guesswork out of a fish photo. I always carry one, even if it would be for my boat partners use.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

There have been, I know of two. Have seen pictures as well. Caught by a trout angler on flies who was clueless to the significance of the weight. This was over ten years ago though. One he claimed went 21, the other 23. No way of saying if that was true, but those fish looked huge to my eyes, and I have actually caught some big zander. Since the world and his wife, plus all those Polish guys in matchy matchy outfits descended on the resis, it's never been quite the same. Still potential for a record, but I think the rivers are a better bet right now. Love to be proven wrong face.
Piking Plonker
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

ExGrafham fishery manager told me of a 23+ but can't remember how or who he said caught it? There a couple of trout anglers who exclusively trolled lead lines on the oars who caught many pike and Zander in their quests for monster brownies. As far as I know the only one still around has stopped fishing Grafham.