perch dont like wire

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

perch dont like wire

Post by stubbojo »

been on the river today , rescued a pike from a slow death , spinner down its throut , bloody fluro leader idiots .......makes my blood boil

last knocking leap frogging my way back to the car , had a really fast run on the paternoster set up for pike , 65lb braid , 36lb wire and a perch live bait ...

dont tell me perch are wary of wire ......and its not the only perch i have had on wire :laughs: :laughs:
DSCN1566.JPG
not a huge fish ..but it went off some no messing .....

regards steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stubbojo on Tue Nov 15 2022 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: perch dont like wire

Post by muncherpike »

I quite agree with you about perch not minding wire traces as I mentioned in a post elsewhere, on my light lure outfit using 30lb wire I get loads of perch some only 6" long, doesn't put them off even when the water clarity is good.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I dont realy care if perch have a particular dislike to wire because if I am using any kind of fishbait or lure I will always use it as pike inhabit nearly all waters, certainly the ones I fish.
I use a fine soft wire and tend to target perch in low light conditions which always does the angler and his (or her) rigs a favour.
I have caught several nice perch on heavy pike gear coz when they are avin it, they are avin it!
Not overly impressed with the wire I use at the moment as every little pike means a new rig so wonder if any of you have can recommend one?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

Have used AFW 7 Strand Titanium in 30lb for several years without any problems on my light outfit, before that it was Terry Eustace Crocodile Cable in 30lb, a good wire but needed changing regularly, neither seemed to deter either chub or small perch!!
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Alan, I use and heartily recommend 12 lb Nova Silk 49-strand for perch lure and deadbait traces. It’s limp, a discrete brown, knottable with an untucked three-turn blood, utterly reliable and gives you a reserve when a double-figure pike (to 18 lb in my case) hasn’t read the script. Hope that helps.
Gary Coggon
Sean Roberts
Roach
Roach

Post by Sean Roberts »

Cahrino Nitinol wire in 6lb or 12lb if I'm using any lures with trebles (little Salmos etc) for Perch. I will use fluorocarbon but only on small single hook lures for Perch. If I'm in any doubt I will always put the 6lb wire on just to be on the safe side. Had about 20 Perch today all on single hooks but had wire on, didn't put them off one bit.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 09:45 -
I dont realy care if perch have a particular dislike to wire because if I am using any kind of fishbait or lure I will always use it as pike inhabit nearly all waters, certainly the ones I fish.
I use a fine soft wire and tend to target perch in low light conditions which always does the angler and his (or her) rigs a favour.
I have caught several nice perch on heavy pike gear coz when they are avin it, they are avin it!
Not overly impressed with the wire I use at the moment as every little pike means a new rig so wonder if any of you have can recommend one?

Cheers, Alan
the one i am using at the moment is 36lb 49 strand pike pro ....very supple nice and soft with a size 4 mugger type hook ...... this will cover pike also

just using up all my old wire i have found a tackle box which i had forgotten about

you keep buying stuff but it gets put away never to be seen again ........
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Thanks for the above!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 09:10 -

Cheers, Alan
the one i am using at the moment is 36lb 49 strand pike pro ....very supple nice and soft with a size 4 mugger type hook ...... this will cover pike also

just using up all my old wire i have found a tackle box which i had forgotten about

What's really annoying is knowing that you bought something and have plenty of it anyway (probably too much ! :roll: ), but can't find it and have to go and buy more :mad: , only then to find the whole lot not long afterwards. Happens to me regularly :clown: , my tackle room is like a tackle shop and I have no idea what's really in there...
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

BillCollins wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 10:23 -

Cheers, Alan

What's really annoying is knowing that you bought something and have plenty of it anyway (probably too much ! :roll: ), but can't find it and have to go and buy more :mad: , only then to find the whole lot not long afterwards. Happens to me regularly :clown: , my tackle room is like a tackle shop and I have no idea what's really in there...
I'm just about to but some more catfish hooklink after losing the feckin spool I have again, guaranteed to turn up as soon as I get the new spool.
I do similar at work only deliberately, if I cant find a tape for example I'll buy 2 or 3 and then they will be everywhere, but at least I can find one, all I have to do is trip over it!

Cheers, Alan
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

I've completey abandoned using fluro for perch. Too many jacks on my local river.
I'm using esox 10lb soft strand wire. Haven't noticed any difference in catch rates (not that I was catching much anyway)
Marvin Farrell
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 13:07 -

Cheers, Alan

I'm just about to but some more catfish hooklink after losing the feckin spool I have again, guaranteed to turn up as soon as I get the new spool.
I do similar at work only deliberately, if I cant find a tape for example I'll buy 2 or 3 and then they will be everywhere, but at least I can find one, all I have to do is trip over it!

Cheers, Alan
It happens on a bigger scale too, Alan. Some time back, I decided to flatten and get rid of some of those heavy cardboard rod tubes that were standing in a corner for several years. I heard something rattling in one of them, so poured it out and it was a brand new Mk4 Drennan Tench float rod, still in its bag and original triangular tube :roll: . I can't ever remember buying it but it must have been lurking around for a long time as even at that stage, that particular rod was discontinued 5 years plus :neutral: .
Marcraft are for queers.
0ddball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by 0ddball »

Of course some don't mind it, in the right place, on the right day you can catch one on a bare hook.

Anybody who thinks it makes no difference hasn't extensively fished hard perch waters in all conditions. On my local canal, 4lb fluro will out fish wire 10 to 1, even light 6lb stuff. Though I find they aren't as fussy when livebaiting.

Of course that doesn't mean using it is the right thing to do, but ime, it definitely makes a difference.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

0ddball wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 14:03 -
Of course some don't mind it, in the right place, on the right day you can catch one on a bare hook.

Anybody who thinks it makes no difference hasn't extensively fished hard perch waters in all conditions. On my local canal, 4lb fluro will out fish wire 10 to 1, even light 6lb stuff. Though I find they aren't as fussy when livebaiting.

Of course that doesn't mean using it is the right thing to do, but ime, it definitely makes a difference.
I dont doubt at all that 4lb fluro will out fish wire but with pike in the water and using a bait/lure that may well tempt one, its just bad angling imo

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

BillCollins wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 13:37 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan
It happens on a bigger scale too, Alan. Some time back, I decided to flatten and get rid of some of those heavy cardboard rod tubes that were standing in a corner for several years. I heard something rattling in one of them, so poured it out and it was a brand new Mk4 Drennan Tench float rod, still in its bag and original triangular tube :roll: . I can't ever remember buying it but it must have been lurking around for a long time as even at that stage, that particular rod was discontinued 5 years plus :neutral: .
Its an age thing, Bill and if you are lucky enough, it comes to us all!

Cheers, Alan
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

sorry i was wrong its 26lb ..... i need new eyeballs
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

keeponchucking wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 13:27 -
I've completey abandoned using fluro for perch. Too many jacks on my local river.
I'm using esox 10lb soft strand wire. Haven't noticed any difference in catch rates (not that I was catching much anyway)
be careful even with that 10lb wire , i tried it on one water with only small jacks ....got bit off now i dont use any wire under 15lb ...
most of the time i have 40lb wire on after pike mostly .....
Last edited by stubbojo on Mon Nov 14 2022 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Cheers, Alan

sorry its 26lb wire ...i need new eyeballs
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Cheers, Alan

had a full day the other day went trough all my gear , bags boxes , bags within boxes , lure boxes , rod bags , old tackle boxes , o.m.g the gear i found was unreal a lot of terminal gear not opened......

dont need to buy any feeders for about 30years .......looks great now though loads of room in my tackle room .....looks like i have been robbed ....
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 22:03 -

Cheers, Alan

had a full day the other day went trough all my gear , bags boxes , bags within boxes , lure boxes , rod bags , old tackle boxes , o.m.g the gear i found was unreal a lot of terminal gear not opened......

dont need to buy any feeders for about 30years .......looks great now though loads of room in my tackle room .....looks like i have been robbed ....
A lot of stuff I buy is because I can't find it, not because I have'nt got it. It is possible to have too much gear. The instance with the Drennan rod is'nt isolated. Like you, I find unopened bags of stuff from the tackle shop, that I've already gone and bought again.
Marcraft are for queers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

4lb fluro , tell me theres no pike in your canal .........the pike i rescued with a spinner down its throat had at least 15lb fluro attached

if there are pike thats irresponsible fishing right there oddball......

just let go of the mindset the perch can see your wire its a myth .........even on so called hard waters......
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I use those light traces from agm ?

I think choice should be taken out of the matter ....using a spinner or lure ? .....pike , even a few small ones in the water ? ......stick on a trace .....or you can't fish
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 10:29 -

4lb fluro , tell me theres no pike in your canal .........the pike i rescued with a spinner down its throat had at least 15lb fluro attached

just let go of the mindset the perch can see your wire its a myth .........even on so called hard waters......
I am quite sure perch can see wire as can pike and all other species, mind you they can also see fluro.
The important point is that when fish are fully switched on to feed our set ups can be as clumsy as you like, but if however, the fish are a little spooky or in some way not fully switched on to feed then a more refined set up will generally out fish other more obvious set ups, this is a concept that is almost totally accepted in all other forms of angling.
The important issue is avoiding fishing at all costs but using common sense with it, for none of us would challenge someone fishing a lobworm on fluro and yet small pike will readily take them. The hooks in this case (singles) often find the scissors so allowing for the shank, none of the line is in the pikes mouth and I have found bite offs vary rare.
We are all just about unanimous in that if there is pike in the water and the method being used is likely to catch one, wire should be used!
As a bailiff and committee member of the local club I feel I may suggest a couple of new rules including waiting till October the 1st!

Cheers, Alan
Poots
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Poots »

On my childhood farm pond beginners course, the most successful way by far,to catch pike was #8 hook,4.4 Bayer Perlon line and lobworm bait.
Clem Stephens.
All hail the Gonk.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:03 -

I am quite sure perch can see wire as can pike and all other species, mind you they can also see fluro.
The important point is that when fish are fully switched on to feed our set ups can be as clumsy as you like, but if however, the fish are a little spooky or in some way not fully switched on to feed then a more refined set up will generally out fish other more obvious set ups, this is a concept that is almost totally accepted in all other forms of angling.
The important issue is avoiding fishing at all costs but using common sense with it, for none of us would challenge someone fishing a lobworm on fluro and yet small pike will readily take them. The hooks in this case (singles) often find the scissors so allowing for the shank, none of the line is in the pikes mouth and I have found bite offs vary rare.
We are all just about unanimous in that if there is pike in the water and the method being used is likely to catch one, wire should be used!
As a bailiff and committee member of the local club I feel I may suggest a couple of new rules including waiting till October the 1st!

Cheers, Alan
alan most people using worm are not normally targeting pike , i am up in arms about people who target pike on light floro , thats the difference
regards steve .......spinner , lure and light fluro ...its a no no .....why would anybody want to chance catching a fish of a life time only to lose it with a bite off....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Poots wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:50 -
On my childhood farm pond beginners course, the most successful way by far,to catch pike was #8 hook,4.4 Bayer Perlon line and lobworm bait.
i know they take worms on occasions caught a few myself over the years , but you would not go out now with a bag of worms to go pike fishing .......

steve :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 22:21 -
Poots wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:50 -
i know they take worms on occasions caught a few myself over the years , but you would not go out now with a bag of worms to go pike fishing .......

steve :thumbs:
Yep , it's the law of probability

Go fishing with a lure or spinner where there is pike and perch and if you don't use a trace its probable that at some point you will get bitten off

Go fishing with a lobworm for a perch , chub , barbel or eel and you might attract a pike but it's not very likely

So to do the right thing and try to protect the pike , a rule of using a trace for methods that will attract pike such as spinning for perch ......or stay at home and help the wife ......should be mandatory
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

BillCollins wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 13:37 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan

On the plus side Bill, at least you gave the tube a rattle before putting your foot through it. :thumbs:
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

:laughs: ... :thumbs:
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 22:16 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:03 -

Cheers, Alan
alan most people using worm are not normally targeting pike , i am up in arms about people who target pike on light floro , thats the difference
regards steve .......spinner , lure and light fluro ...its a no no .....why would anybody want to chance catching a fish of a life time only to lose it with a bite off....
I think , Steve the difference is as the thread suggests, is people targeting perch with a method that will attract the attentions of pike and not using wire. The poster above who said about the 4lb fluro said they were perch fishing and why I used the lob worm for perch scenario. I don't think the argument is in regard to losing the fish of a lifetime, more that we should fish in a sustainable way that cares for all our quarry!
In almost every way we agree mate!

Cheers, Alan