perch dont like wire

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: perch dont like wire

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 16 2022 01:22 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 22:21 -
Poots wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:50 -
On my childhood farm pond beginners course, the most successful way by far,to catch pike was #8 hook,4.4 Bayer Perlon line and lobworm bait.
i know they take worms on occasions caught a few myself over the years , but you would not go out now with a bag of worms to go pike fishing .......

steve :thumbs:
Yep , it's the law of probability

Go fishing with a lure or spinner where there is pike and perch and if you don't use a trace its probable that at some point you will get bitten off

Go fishing with a lobworm for a perch , chub , barbel or eel and you might attract a pike but it's not very likely

So to do the right thing and try to protect the pike , a rule of using a trace for methods that will attract pike such as spinning for perch ......or stay at home and help the wife ......should be mandatory
At times on some venues lobworms are a great bait for small pike and while fishing for perch one day, I had about a dozen small pike up to low dubs, as said bite offs are uncommon because of the way the single hooks up.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 16 2022 01:22 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 22:21 -
Poots wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:50 -
On my childhood farm pond beginners course, the most successful way by far,to catch pike was #8 hook,4.4 Bayer Perlon line and lobworm bait.
i know they take worms on occasions caught a few myself over the years , but you would not go out now with a bag of worms to go pike fishing .......

steve :thumbs:
Yep , it's the law of probability

Go fishing with a lure or spinner where there is pike and perch and if you don't use a trace its probable that at some point you will get bitten off

Go fishing with a lobworm for a perch , chub , barbel or eel and you might attract a pike but it's not very likely

So to do the right thing and try to protect the pike , a rule of using a trace for methods that will attract pike such as spinning for perch ......or stay at home and help the wife ......should be mandatory
At least if fishing worms, the single hook possibly left in a pike after a bite off is unlikely to be damaging.
Peter Newman
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Nov 16 2022 08:06 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 22:16 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 14:03 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Nov 15 2022 10:29 -
0ddball wrote: Mon Nov 14 2022 14:03 -
Of course some don't mind it, in the right place, on the right day you can catch one on a bare hook.

Anybody who thinks it makes no difference hasn't extensively fished hard perch waters in all conditions. On my local canal, 4lb fluro will out fish wire 10 to 1, even light 6lb stuff. Though I find they aren't as fussy when livebaiting.

Of course that doesn't mean using it is the right thing to do, but ime, it definitely makes a difference.
4lb fluro , tell me theres no pike in your canal .........the pike i rescued with a spinner down its throat had at least 15lb fluro attached

if there are pike thats irresponsible fishing right there oddball......

just let go of the mindset the perch can see your wire its a myth .........even on so called hard waters......
I am quite sure perch can see wire as can pike and all other species, mind you they can also see fluro.
The important point is that when fish are fully switched on to feed our set ups can be as clumsy as you like, but if however, the fish are a little spooky or in some way not fully switched on to feed then a more refined set up will generally out fish other more obvious set ups, this is a concept that is almost totally accepted in all other forms of angling.
The important issue is avoiding fishing at all costs but using common sense with it, for none of us would challenge someone fishing a lobworm on fluro and yet small pike will readily take them. The hooks in this case (singles) often find the scissors so allowing for the shank, none of the line is in the pikes mouth and I have found bite offs vary rare.
We are all just about unanimous in that if there is pike in the water and the method being used is likely to catch one, wire should be used!
As a bailiff and committee member of the local club I feel I may suggest a couple of new rules including waiting till October the 1st!

Cheers, Alan
alan most people using worm are not normally targeting pike , i am up in arms about people who target pike on light floro , thats the difference
regards steve .......spinner , lure and light fluro ...its a no no .....why would anybody want to chance catching a fish of a life time only to lose it with a bite off....
I think , Steve the difference is as the thread suggests, is people targeting perch with a method that will attract the attentions of pike and not using wire. The poster above who said about the 4lb fluro said they were perch fishing and why I used the lob worm for perch scenario. I don't think the argument is in regard to losing the fish of a lifetime, more that we should fish in a sustainable way that cares for all our quarry!
In almost every way we agree mate!

Cheers, Alan
:thumbs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

A week or so ago I upped the wire I was using as I was having to tie a new rig for almost every small pike I was catching, which has worked as far as the pike and rigs are concerned but I have not had a perch since. On a few occasions the bait has become rather agitated making me think a predator was near by, but no perch hooked up. The water in the marina is rather clear at the moment, but I am fishing till after dark.
So I shall be back over to the tackle shop and buy some of the soft fine wire they do, but as I am also going to spool up with some recycled powerpro, I shall also add in some fluro as an uptrace as I have done before. Its an easy enough set up and the braid will be far more visible than the mono I'm using.
I keep my boat under the lodge and hanging off the side of the boat is one of those live bait buckets. The other day while feeding my tank fish I heard a swirl by the boat and saw a decent perch having ago at the live bait bucket, so I quickly got my rod, added a small roach and lowered it by the bucket. A perch came over straight away looking very aggressive but backed off at the last moment, well even I could see the wire!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

I should just add that the fluro up trace is really an upper upper trace as the wire has a loop crimped in 8 inches from the hook that takes the paternoster link, so the rig is truly pike safe.

Cheers, Alan
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i went on the river the other day had a net full of perch to the neds , 26lb wire and 15lb mono in camo .........no probs what so ever allen
like i have said before there , looking at your bait , or lure if they turn off it they probably just dont want it .....
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

stubbojo wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 00:32 -
i went on the river the other day had a net full of perch to the neds , 26lb wire and 15lb mono in camo .........no probs what so ever allen
like i have said before there , looking at your bait , or lure if they turn off it they probably just dont want it .....
I think there is a feeding intensity scale for all species, if they are at say a 2 out of 10, angling will be very difficult, If they are at 8 or more then you simply cant go wrong and the most clumsy of methods will catch. If however they are at about a 6 they are following lures, pecking at baits and more likely to be fussy over presentation. They can see the wire quite clearly but when feeding with intensity, caution is in the wind!

Cheers, Alan
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I am using 12 pound mono and 12 pound wire traces from agm

I am not the greatest pike , perch and chub fisherman in the world but I do OK

The biggest pike in the river I am fishing at present .....its a big stream really .....is around 6 pound
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 18:45 -

The biggest pike in the river I am fishing at present .....its a big stream really .....is around 6 pound
fish fluro , and a big double will turn up and bite you off ,sods law , stick with the wire taff ...

regards steve :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 18:56 -
Taffypiker wrote: Wed Nov 30 2022 18:45 -

fish fluro , and a big double will turn up and bite you off ,sods law , stick with the wire taff ...

regards steve :thumbs:
Some of the trout anglers here fish with no wire or fluro ......drives me mad 😠