catfish

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Mike F
Chub
Chub

catfish

Post by Mike F »

Would those of you who fish for cats say that catfish are a relatively easy species to catch from well stocked venues? I would like to try catch my first one next year from such a venue near me which holds cats from 2lbs to around 65lbs.
As fishing for them is totally new to me, i just want to get an idea of how hard they are to catch. I'm not bothered at all about what size fish i catch, i just want to catch my first one and start learning a bit about fishing for them.
Thanks for any advice given.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: catfish

Post by suffolk si »

pretty easy to catch imo if the conditions are right , there is a couple of decent waters close to you, they scrap like hell though, thats the attraction for me, id certainly try for some smaller ones before going after monsters, even netting a 20 or 30 if you are fishing alone can be a challenge!
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’ve fished for and caught catfish but I’m no expert and not even that experienced really but I’ve found a really stinky particle/pellet mix with fish bits and some fishy oil or extract spod over an area regularly, then a block rig of 4 or 5 28mm halibut or fishy pellet has done the trick for me.
Me an a mate pike fish a day ticket water at the end of each season (it’s become a kind of tradition!) an the last 3 years he’s picked up Cat on a deadbait intended for pike. I’m sure it’s the same fish as it’s the same area and it’s gone from 43lb to 47lb to 50lb !
I’m pretty sure if they’re feeding and it’s a decent mouthful, they’ll pick it up !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Roger5
Roach
Roach

Post by Roger5 »

Have a look at the catfish conservation group website, they are also on Facebook
You'll get an idea of tackle, rigs etc
I started out using my pike rods and reels which were ok, but once you start catching larger ones, you will need to upgrade your gear
My best up to now is 66lb landed in about 6/7mins which is the reason for 4/5lb test rods, just like pike, you don't want to be dragging it out for to long, I know plenty of carp anglers catch cats, and wind up playing them for ages on their fairly light (compared with cat gear )tackle, doesn't do cats any good,
I should also say , if you are fishing carp waters, I wouldn't bother to much with fishbaits, the cats are probably to busy eating boilies, as has been said 28ml halibuts hair rigged with a 2/0 circle hook does it for me. Rog
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Thanks all for your advice!
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
ouchthathurt
Roach
Roach

Post by ouchthathurt »

I’ve caught cats to 56lb on my carp gear, the water has a 20lb minimum b/s line rule. I was targeting carp using 12ft 3lb fox torque rods and fox 12000 reels. Rigs were ronnies on 30lb coated braided hooklinks. They took 12mm fish pop ups. They fight like mad, but are pretty docile on the bank. Be warned, they can swim backwards so netting is interesting! They don’t have teeth as such, but abrasive pads that can chafe a hooklink. Warm muggy nights would often be the ideal conditions. Large boilies, fish baits, pellets and liver all score.