Commercial perch

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Commercial perch

Post by C722 »

Has any one fished for commercial perch? How best to approach it? There is a local match fishery that has some good perch in, but not sure how best to fish it. Any advice is welcome.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Commercial perch

Post by davelumb »

A lot depends on the rules. And how many carp there are to avoid! I ended up fishing feeder and red maggots as the most selective method.
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by C722 »

Thanks for your reply.

No live baits unfortunately. I ended up fishing prawns and lob worms, prawns did nothing, worms I had them to 2lb, but a lot bigger there. What about baiting, I have been told to bait a lot and draw the fish in?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

C722 wrote: Sun Jan 15 2023 21:55 -
Thanks for your reply.

No live baits unfortunately. I ended up fishing prawns and lob worms, prawns did nothing, worms I had them to 2lb, but a lot bigger there. What about baiting, I have been told to bait a lot and draw the fish in?
When I fed loose maggots it attracted carp!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Prawns are possibly the best carp bait on my club water that I fish for perch :roll:

They have 24 hour carp matches on one saturday/sunday in the month, I fancy my chances :smile:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jan 15 2023 22:19 -
Prawns are possibly the best carp bait on my club water that I fish for perch :roll:

They have 24 hour carp matches on one saturday/sunday in the month, I fancy my chances :smile:
What type of prawns do you use. Bob and how do you fish them?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I agree with Dave - biggest issue is avoiding thr carp and trying to be selective. Prawns are good but carp can be an issue - I find I get pestered with bream on worms. I tend to find float fishing near the features if there are any is best or in the edge near rushes etc. I've used proven and chilled cooked prawns - I think chilled cooked are best. I have some success using cloudy groundbait in moderation to attract silvers can work
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

I tend to fish for private perch!!!!!!!
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

dropshot :smile:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Jan 16 2023 08:02 -

Cheers, Alan
Not been out for a while but when I was, it was normally cooked king prawns on a free running leger. I just nicked them through the thin end of the tail with a size 8 or 6 super speccy' but I did get a few deep hooked fish no matter how quick I was on the rod. I've since bought some Mustad demon circles in various sizes to see if that reduces the deep hooking.

I'm also going to try raw king prawns on the hook on one rod, some say they're better :shrug: I usually scatter just a couple of small prawns in the area and chop a few up with some chopped worm and maggot as an attractor.

Carp can be a pain in the a**e when perch fishing.
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by C722 »

There was a chap on the lake a few weeks back putting in serious amounts of ground bait and maggots, must have done 5 kilos in the session, he caught plenty to 3lb. But I know I’d be plagued with carp and bream!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Jan 16 2023 14:32 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Jan 16 2023 08:02 -

Cheers, Alan
Not been out for a while but when I was, it was normally cooked king prawns on a free running leger. I just nicked them through the thin end of the tail with a size 8 or 6 super speccy' but I did get a few deep hooked fish no matter how quick I was on the rod. I've since bought some Mustad demon circles in various sizes to see if that reduces the deep hooking.

I'm also going to try raw king prawns on the hook on one rod, some say they're better :shrug: I usually scatter just a couple of small prawns in the area and chop a few up with some chopped worm and maggot as an attractor.

Carp can be a pain in the a**e when perch fishing.
Thanks for that, Bob :thumbs:
Carp will not be an issue as I shall be fishing under the lodge and if I was to hook one (river fish) I will probably get broken up as they average over 20 and I will be using 6lb mono in amongst lots of structure.
After watching perch in tanks, on video and fishing for them, the way they often feed can lead to deep hooking. I m thinking of using a float rig with a shot just a couple of inches or so from the hook?

cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

C722 wrote: Sun Jan 15 2023 21:22 -
Has any one fished for commercial perch? How best to approach it? There is a local match fishery that has some good perch in, but not sure how best to fish it. Any advice is welcome.
There's a commercial carp fishery in Essex that I know quite well, that contains some very decent perch (4lb +). Best approach by a country mile on those lakes was lure fishing, simply down to how much water can be covered. It's not so much a problem with the other guys fishing for carp or match fishing, as you're using small lures, not 5oz jerk baits. Obviously check the rules first, as I know some fisheries won't let you use trebles or braided main lines. I'd also try fishing early and late in the day, which is when these waters tend to be at their quietest and hence there's more water available to you. Avoid weekends and bank holidays if you can!
Piking Plonker
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Interesting- my local commercial is the colour of strong tea - what kind of lure approach?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Mon Jan 16 2023 20:09 -
Interesting- my local commercial is the colour of strong tea - what kind of lure approach?
Where I've fished isn't always gin clear. Simple answer is lures that emit a lot of noise, e.g. crank baits with rattles, spinner baits, chatter baits and my first choice, lipless cranks with rattles. I have some that I can hear coming through the water from 20 yards away, so the perch have no problem finding them, even when it's almost dark.
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

:veryevil: fish a small feeder running rig , maggot bait , small roach takes bait , big perch takes roach ,

10lb main line , 8lb floro leader and a size 12 or 10 .........just leave it in till you get a take ........

caught quite a few like that .........its not your fault if a perch grabs your roach .......... :veryevil: :veryevil: :veryevil:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Prawns work, but my go-to will always be the biggest lobworms I can get my hands on, legered on a size 4. Not always selective, but I don't think there's a better perch bait.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Jan 17 2023 19:04 -
:veryevil: fish a small feeder running rig , maggot bait , small roach takes bait , big perch takes roach ,

10lb main line , 8lb floro leader and a size 12 or 10 .........just leave it in till you get a take ........

caught quite a few like that .........its not your fault if a perch grabs your roach .......... :veryevil: :veryevil: :veryevil:
🤣👍that’s how my first three pounder came on a little commercial. Livebaits always my first choice if allowed
C722
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by C722 »

What’s your baiting strategy ? I fished lob worms and really selective for perch which was great, and had a carp on prawns.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

How about considering deadbaiting to select the largest perch? Although my specimen perch hunt hasn’t got round to commercials (yet), all the evidence suggests that pikeless, often murky commercials are the type of water that respond most reliably to deadbaiting (although they’re not completely mud pig-proof…). I’ve deadbaited for perch successfully in other types of stillwater. Quite a few articles online plus a couple of interesting discussions about deadbaiting for perch elsewhere in the Predators section on here, with plenty of opinion both pro and con. Hope this helps. Sorry, haven’t the skills to provide links…
Gary Coggon
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

…and look out for articles and Utube by Steve Burke in particular.
Gary Coggon
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

…and see ‘Why don’t perch take deabaits then?’ thread a few down from this one.
Gary Coggon
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Deads, Lives and dropshot is what worked for me on a local carp puddle, had fish to just under 3lb. Don't bother with prawns unless you don't mind catching all the carp.
Mmmmmmmm yes