10.1 kg Zed

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

10.1 kg Zed

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

One of my young mates saw the photo a a very big zed caught by a Polish angler with a claimed weight of 10.1 kg or 22lb 04oz, said it looked all of its weight, from the great Ouse in Cambridgeshire, anyone heard similar?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: 10.1 kg Zed

Post by Happy Hayes »

I’m not throwing stones
But did it go back
Regards
Tom
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Naming waters. :roll:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

davelumb wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 10:22 -
Naming waters. :roll:
What the Great Ouse in Cambs is naming waters! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Happy Hayes wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 10:17 -
I’m not throwing stones
But did it go back
Regards
Tom
Going on the story, I think it did!

Cheers, Alan
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

I’m not sure what the Ouse record is, but it doesn’t have a recent history of doing big zander does it?

A British record out of it, I don’t buy it myself but I would love to be proven wrong.
James Dobie.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

dropped_run wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 15:00 -
I’m not sure what the Ouse record is, but it doesn’t have a recent history of doing big zander does it?

A British record out of it, I don’t buy it myself but I would love to be proven wrong.
Thats sort of what I am thinking, just sounds as though its a biggun, but not that big!

Cheers, Alan
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

dropped_run wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 15:00 -

It would be nice to think that there was a real shocker swimming about in there, but as you say, the track record isn't for fish of anything like that size.

Hopefully, pics will emerge in due course.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

I’m going in the morning, I’ll see if I can find it 😀
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

The great Gavino wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 21:30 -
Should be easy now as I have named the water and you only have about 100 miles of bank to search!

Cheers, Alan
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Mar 06 2023 09:16 -
Should be easy now as I have named the water and you only have about 100 miles of bank to search!

Cheers, Alan
3 rod pod x 5 and keep leapfrogging them :laughs:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Mike F wrote: Mon Mar 06 2023 14:58 -

Cheers, Alan
:dizzy: :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Mike F wrote: Mon Mar 06 2023 14:58 -

Cheers, Alan

Non stop day and night for the next 8 days :grin:
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Leapfrogged half a mile of it today. Couldn’t find it. Or anything for that matter
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Alan, just to muddy the waters….

Was the picture near a bridge, or alternatively was it off a boat?

Something jogged my memory earlier :laughs:
James Dobie.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

More info needed on this subject
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I've had a 15.04 from that river, but 22 seems a bit of a stretch and then some. 17 something is the biggest I know of and that wasn't recently. Nothing like a good old wives' tale to get people going I suppose :laughs: A bit like all the catfish that are in there and the 30lb pike :roll:
Piking Plonker
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 06 2023 19:44 -
I've had a 15.04 from that river, but 22 seems a bit of a stretch and then some. 17 something is the biggest I know of and that wasn't recently. Nothing like a good old wives' tale to get people going I suppose :laughs: A bit like all the catfish that are in there and the 30lb pike :roll:
I know two people that have had 60+ cats from this river. Maybe the 20+ Zander is garbage but it’s still a bit of fun.
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 06 2023 19:44 -
I could send you a few pics of Great Ouse cats to be fair. And video. They are in there but I suspect not in the numbers people mention, I know of one fish claimed from Wyboston to Earith…it came out somewhere in between, it’s probably the source of most of the tales :laughs:

I did hear of an 80 from a well known city centre that took four hours to land though…amazing in this day and age no one got a picture, but also more amazing someone had scales and a net capable….honestly water does attract the moronic.

But cats in the river, pretty undeniable. Ouse 30’s, well that’s another story altogether.
James Dobie.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Biggest believable zed from the river I have heard of is 18+, biggest cat is 80 something and is still there, as for the biggest pike was a few years ago now one I "tried" to catch, claimed at 43 :laughs: but pictures suggested it was a low 30!

Cheers, Alan
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

there was a rumour of a 30 on my local canal , tracked down the picture 12lb if that .......fooking bellends mate
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

I think I had a 20 kb zander today. Didn’t weight it mind!!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

That's alot of memory for a zander...
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Old Mate wrote: Tue Mar 07 2023 23:41 -
That's alot of memory for a zander...
Yes I thought that!!!!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I know of two zander larger than that a few years ago caught (not naming location) in the Norfolk/Cambs Great Ouse system, both witnessed by very reliable independent people, photographed, videoed and weighed properly. They were both caught in the same spot on consecutive years from a boat during flood conditions on lures by different anglers and may possibly be the same fish.
And I have seen pictures of several pike well over 30 caught in the same part of the world in the last few years but which were never publicised.

As for Cats. I am surprised more really large ones don't get caught in this part of the world. They are endemic across the system and seem to have established breeding populations including in the Tidal Ouse as the eel fishermen report baby wels in fyke nets on a fairly regular basis.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

fenland piker wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 09:30 -
I know of two zander larger than that a few years ago caught (not naming location) in the Norfolk/Cambs Great Ouse system, both witnessed by very reliable independent people, photographed, videoed and weighed properly. They were both caught in the same spot on consecutive years from a boat during flood conditions on lures by different anglers and may possibly be the same fish.
And I have seen pictures of several pike well over 30 caught in the same part of the world in the last few years but which were never publicised.

As for Cats. I am surprised more really large ones don't get caught in this part of the world. They are endemic across the system and seem to have established breeding populations including in the Tidal Ouse as the eel fishermen report baby wels in fyke nets on a fairly regular basis.
Several 30's you say :scratch: In my experience, when 'several' big pike get caught in the Fens, several usually translates to one being re-captured by different people. Every time someone starts talking 30's I can't help but smile. I know the river coughs one up every so often, I have a mate who did get one, but 'several' isn't a word I would use whilst keeping a straight face.

I've personally seen one catfish from the Great Ouse, well actually it was the lower Cam and it went 12lb, that was 16 years ago. A few got in the river from a certain little lake and I know someone who's seen pictures of captures in the Ely area which were of those fish. But again, that was years ago and the catches faded out. There were also fish caught further up the river, again, they got in there from stocked still waters nearby and got caught a bit at the time. If they were there in numbers, people would be catching them and telling everyone. I do a fair amount of cat fishing and would love to fish for them in fen rivers, but to say they're 'endemic' across the Ouse system is a bold statement to say the least. Those eel fisherman eh? It was barbel last time and now catfish. I can only think that the mitten crabs must be eating all these little chaps. They'll be finding baby burbot in their nets at this rate.
Piking Plonker
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 08:06 -
One of my young mates saw the photo a a very big zed caught by a Polish angler with a claimed weight of 10.1 kg or 22lb 04oz, said it looked all of its weight, from the great Ouse in Cambridgeshire, anyone heard similar?

Cheers, Alan
There was a pic in the last ever anglers mail I believe, think that is the fish you are talking about, didn’t look near claimed weight to me
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

suffolk si wrote: Wed Mar 08 2023 21:34 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Mar 05 2023 08:06 -

Cheers, Alan
There was a pic in the last ever anglers mail I believe, think that is the fish you are talking about, didn’t look near claimed weight to me
I think tis fish was caught in the last few weeks but I will ask!

Cheers, Alan
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

As I’ve always said if we don’t know about 30 lb pike or 22 lb zander then they don’t exist!
Happy to be alive!!!!
Runaway Train
Roach
Roach

Post by Runaway Train »

Neville Fickling wrote: Thu Mar 09 2023 12:54 -
As I’ve always said if we don’t know about 30 lb pike or 22 lb zander then they don’t exist!
Agreed - a bit like the 25lb Zed reported from a midlands river....