Hook link for eels

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
piker66
Roach
Roach

Re: Hook link for eels

Post by piker66 »

Wayneelman wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 17:49 -
Jack..I've employed braids of differing features..but gone back to stiff nylon for its anti tangle properties both on and off bottom rigs(paternoster).Incorporated with a stocking net mesh ball of bait tied off with dental floss.The fine mesh snags the eels hacksaw like teeth.
Is that what Steve Pitts is using in his Drennan video ? ( a meshed up ball of bait).
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
Wayneelman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Wayneelman »

Piker66...hello..Very much along those lines.l believe the venues steves targeting are infested with American Signal Crayfish. So he's incorporated armour mesh bags to combat the problems associated with those critters. Probably more user friendly. Steve Pitts is very much at the forefront of the lip hooking eels campaign. He has put a lot of thought and time into his endeavours.
piker66
Roach
Roach

Post by piker66 »

Interesting that. I guess you could use more or less anything meaty, fishy, whatever in them
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Sat Apr 06 2024 06:29 -
Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 23:06 -
Bob Watson wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 18:27 -
I've been tying twig rigs up with some 20lb wire I got from Steve Moore for perch fishing when pike are present, real supple stuff.

My experience is zero so far but the few mil' sticking out the end of the twig seems to be still quite supple. The whole wire hooklink will be about 5-6" long.

As mentioned on another thread, the masons mono could well be the same as, or very similar to some of the chod link materials carpers use.
That was the same wire I was using for eels . Got it from Steve for eels and zeds . Great stuff. Pretty sure it’s AFW
Hey Matt,

Is that the Calibre Wonder Wire? I found some in my vintage trace wire tin...
How did you make up the traces? I searched and found you have to heat in a flame before you cut it, but I can't find a recommended knot and it is unlikely I will find a crimp small enough.

Cheers, Andy
Hi Andy , not sure if it’s the same wire but with most 49 strand wires that aren’t coated it’s best to heat the section you are cutting to prevent fraying . I used drennan crimps on mine and knotless knot to trebles for zander . Maybe use the smallest crimps you can find and try it , could always go back through the crimp with the wire?
Cheers,
Matt
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mattjb wrote: Sat Apr 06 2024 12:08 -
Old Mate wrote: Sat Apr 06 2024 06:29 -
Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 23:06 -
Bob Watson wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 18:27 -
I've been tying twig rigs up with some 20lb wire I got from Steve Moore for perch fishing when pike are present, real supple stuff.

My experience is zero so far but the few mil' sticking out the end of the twig seems to be still quite supple. The whole wire hooklink will be about 5-6" long.

As mentioned on another thread, the masons mono could well be the same as, or very similar to some of the chod link materials carpers use.
That was the same wire I was using for eels . Got it from Steve for eels and zeds . Great stuff. Pretty sure it’s AFW
Hey Matt,

Is that the Calibre Wonder Wire? I found some in my vintage trace wire tin...
How did you make up the traces? I searched and found you have to heat in a flame before you cut it, but I can't find a recommended knot and it is unlikely I will find a crimp small enough.

Cheers, Andy
Hi Andy , not sure if it’s the same wire but with most 49 strand wires that aren’t coated it’s best to heat the section you are cutting to prevent fraying . I used drennan crimps on mine and knotless knot to trebles for zander . Maybe use the smallest crimps you can find and try it , could always go back through the crimp with the wire?
Cheers,
Matt
There’s a few YouTube vids that recommend a figure of 8 knot for multi stranded wire. Not tried it myself though
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Jack H wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 17:39 -
Ratty46 wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 16:54 -
Jack H wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:40 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:02 -
Being that the hook link material is inside the twig, it doesn't really matter unless you intend to hair rig baits.
Eels are strong but 10lb mono will be more than enough in most cases!

Cheers, Alan
I’ve got some of fox’s hair braid for hair rigging worms. My only worry with the wire, is breakages when under pressure and being twisted by a hooked eel. I’ve got some drennan mono so will have a play about with it.

Thanks
Jack

i don't fish for them, but my mate does, he put a ball bearing swivel halfway on the trace to eliminate that, i think he was broken once without the swivel, works, he's had a few 6's and even a 7+
7+ :eek: . There’s something about big eels, truly amazing creatures.

Jack
they are impressive when they are big, he did an article in Catch Cult ( matt rand) he and a mate targeted a commercial they got permission to night fish, had more than one 6+