Lob worms

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Tommy Thompson
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Lob worms

Post by Tommy Thompson »

My mate brought me a good few around today 60-70

how do you keep yours and how long do they last

I put them in moss or shredded paper

but i,m alaways willing to learn how to make them last longer
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Re: Lob worms

Post by spincityfan »

my mate has had some in a bucket with wet newspaper for months, he says that as long as you keep them cool they should be ok.
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
markyboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by markyboy »

Keep them in a large covered (ventilated) bucket with loads of shreds of damp newspaper. Keep them on the garage floor so theyre nice and cool and turn them over every couple of days so they work their way back through the paper. Make sure the paper remains damp and they should last for several months. If you notice any that are dead or withering remove them immediatley as the bacteria will quickly kill off the whole batch.
Stevo
Chub
Chub

Post by Stevo »

If we get a warm spell, sit the bucket they are in, in a larger bucket with some water in it..... this helps keep a more stable temp, which will keep them alive longer.

Also, remove any dead ones ASAP, as a dead worm will kill the rest very quickly.

Steve
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Sphagnum moss, had loads of problems keeping worms alive until I started keeping them in Sphagnum. Newspaper works but it's not as good as moss.
Clarkey1972
Perch
Perch

Post by Clarkey1972 »

thumbs up for the spagnum works a treat
Gavin P
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Gavin P »

Mixture of moss, shredded newspaper and damp good quality soil;) Also i would give them the odd feed with some veg trimmings
Don't argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

I've chucked them in a straight forward tub of all purpose compost before and then forgotten about them only to find them still full of life months later, so if I intended keeping them long term that's what I'd do.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
davmut
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by davmut »

Spagnum moss works very well and stays moist for a lot longer than newspaper.
Spoon Man
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Spoon Man »

moss is good for scouring them before you use them, makes them nice and tough. and the best food is chesnut leaves, fatten up lovely on them.
dave
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

ChristopherH wrote:
I've chucked them in a straight forward tub of all purpose compost before and then forgotten about them only to find them still full of life months later, so if I intended keeping them long term that's what I'd do.
Near enough what I do, Chris Image

Mine is a 50/50 mix of garden soil and multi purpose compost in an 80 litre plastic dustbin. Keep the lid on to stop waterlogging and keep the bin out of the sun and they last very well indeed. I was amazed to find that mine even survived last winter when I checked the bin in the spring Image
steo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by steo »

i sunk a wooden crate in the ground ( in a permanently shaded part of the garden) 3/4 filled it with compost from the compost bin and it does the job just fine.
on wet nights i walk around with a torch (with red filter on it) and collect the lobs as they are everywhere, the result, a permanent supply Image

ps the reason for the red filter on the torch is that i find the worms bolt when you shine white light on them but the red light does not have the same effect..