Pike pool 62- Merlin's magic By Mark Barret.

An archive of our superb Pike Pool articles
dart stew laws
Zander
Zander

Pike pool 62- Merlin's magic By Mark Barret.

Post by dart stew laws »

http://thepikepool.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... arret.html

Good evening all..

Here is Mark Barret, reminding us of his good fortune in ownership, and also something we all take for granted may just as suddenly be taken away.
Christmas is a time they say to remember, and perhaps reflect on, knowing a few lads on here will be going through some rather uncertain times as we roll into the new year, then I wish them well, to the rest of you I hope 2013 brings you good fortune and above all... Good Health.

Stewart

Apologies to the readers (And Mark) If you find the last Photo at odds, and can assure you it was not the whiskey.. rather a luddite at work.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Pike pool 62- Merlin's magic By Mark Barret.

Post by Daniel »

Enjoyed that Mark even though it brought back some horrible memories of having to make that last trip to the vets with my first dog. I sat in the carpark and cried for 20 minutes afterwards.

Its not put me off having more dogs though, there are thousands of perfectly good family dogs in rescue places that get put to sleep simply to make space for new arrivals, beats me why anyone would pay a fortune for a dog when you can pick any breed you like and you'll find some in need of a home, some breeds even have breed specific rescues.

Get yourself another dog mate, lifes just better with a dog in it.
essoxnorth
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by essoxnorth »

Mark, Having put my German Shepherd down this year it was a timely well written peace. Thank you

+
Jonno
Perch
Perch

Post by Jonno »

Superb Mark, brought back memories for me too, as a teenager I too had my own dog 'Ben' a border collie, he was the most intelligent and loyal dog I ever knew, when he was put down I cried my eyes out, strange as I never cried so much for any other bereavement throughout my life. I have never had another dog. Mans best friend for sure.
Pikey Phil
Chub
Chub

Post by Pikey Phil »

Got two Springers, Molly and Megan. They are definitely part of our family. Gunna tear me to bits when one of them dies. Watto is the same with his dogs. Something people who have not had dogs likely find it hard to relate to. Good article Mark.
Rik W
Chub
Chub

Post by Rik W »

Nice mate. My first dog Gemma was also a liver and white english springer spaniel. She was an excellent pet and working dog. She made 13 and I cried like a baby when we had her put down.....
MichaelHPAC
Barbel
Barbel

Post by MichaelHPAC »

Great read Mark Image Image
Just say NO to the psycho right wing capitalist fascist industrial death machine
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Nice one Mark. I,ve had my GSD for eight and a half years now and i know 10- 12 is about the max for this breed. He still thinks he,s a young fella though. Bit like his owner Image I was thinking about breeding him and keeping one of the pups just so i could continue the line if you know what i mean but i don,t reall agree with breeding dogs when theres so many in shelters needing a home especially this time of year. I,m torn though cos he is one beatifull looking dog. Good straight back, no sign of hip trouble etc, I,ll stick a photo up on here later and you,ll see what i mean.
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

That was a very well written piece Mark, i found it really moving. We are just starting the journey with our first -a black labrador pup called Henry - and already i'm tremendously attached to him. Hope he fishes with me for many many years.
BillPalmer
Perch
Perch

Post by BillPalmer »

Nice one Mark, I felt your pain had 3 dogs over the years. Every time i lost one ive said never again.Image Mark go and get yourself another one, mans best friend you know it makes sense.

Bill.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

GAVIN H wrote:
Nice one Mark. I,ve had my GSD for eight and a half years now and i know 10- 12 is about the max for this breed.
Not necessarily. I lost one of my GSDs a year ago and she was two weeks short of 14. I know of a fair few others that have reached 13 - 14 too Image

Nice article there, Mark Image
craigbeverley
Chub
Chub

Post by craigbeverley »

That bit about your first dog leaving a hole the rest fall through breaks my heart.
Dutch uncle.
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

Glad to hear that people enjoyed that piece as I thought it would either go well or bomb terribly as it isnt a hard and fast fishing tale.

Happy new year to you all.

Oh and for those that said about getting another dog, actually I would love to but my living arrangements at the moment preclude doing so.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

That was lovely Mark.

(I cried face)
Simon Farrow PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Simon Farrow PAC »

Great read Mark and knew exactly where you were coming from as I lost my fishing partner (in last years calendar)

Had to sort another one quick as every customer kept reminding me Image 'Alfie' is learning the ropes out in the boat and he is enjoying it all Image

Narfuk boi who dont talk squit or suffer it

Alarm repairs/modifications/advice
Mickey Cox
Chub
Chub

Post by Mickey Cox »

A great read Mark that really tugs at the heart strings.

Its the unquestionable love and companionship that they bring to you, and by sharing a passion that is a major part in an anglers life.

Cracking read.Image
sussex piker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by sussex piker »

Great read that.

always had dogs and every time one goes i say never again but always do.

All the best

Ian.
johnweddup
Roach
Roach

Post by johnweddup »

Well done Mark.

I have heard a lot of good things about you and a fair few of the other sorts but have always made my own mind up about anyone.

We have not met yet but will do soon.

That peice has shown me a side of you that I can connect with.

I am not known for my soft and generous nature but true friendship and that shown by a real friend such as your dog make a tear well in my eyes.

Very well written and do now hope to meet you soon.

John
Leighton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Leighton »

Nice one Mark Image
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

nicely written Mark---- do yourself a favour and get another, you know you wont regret it Image
Glenn..
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Glenn.. »

Nice one Mark...great read Image,i can go along with your first dog being the special one,Bess was my first own Spaniel,I absolutely thought the world of that dog,she used to come fishing,shooting sometimes to work depending what i was doing and i always thought that she could never be replaced after she'd passed away, but I was wrong Hazel (her replacement for want of a better word)has brought other qualities and attributes to the table which has helped breach that hole which was left from the loss of a great friend Bess...

Glenn..
Stu Winstake
Chub
Chub

Post by Stu Winstake »

I'm on my forth Ridgeback all very different, all very special. Thought at first this one "Lola" was going to be the one that put me off the breed but at two and a half she is beginning to shine. Mark when circumstances change, look up the people you got Merlin from. As Dell-boy would say, you know it makes sense.
Not even a simple Irish girl would call her son Stewingstake. Kevin Daly
"Mama, move your false teeth, papa wanna scratch your gums."
stephenalexander
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stephenalexander »

That story really pulls at the heartstrings.
I had a german shepard years ago, she was 7 when i got her and we done everythinf together, ocassionaly i slept on the floor in my room cos she was already in my bed and i didnt want to disturb her.
She done well, living up till the age of 13. She developed a problem with her heart and had to go, the decision was so hard and i could not bear the thoughr of taking her to the vet.
My brothet and step dad got that job and i went to work tk try and take my mind off it.
Wben i got the call to say it was over it really messed me up and was made worse when i came home and my wee pal wasnt there for me, i cried a lot thinking of her for a long time and i promised myself i would not get anothet dog as i could not go through it again.
Fas forward to now and i do have another german shepard,she is nearly 3 now and we got her when she was 6 weeks old. She reminds me a lot of my old dog but there is still the thought that she will never replace my old dog, however i love my dog just as much as i loved my old dog and would not swap her for love nor money.
I know that day is going to come again when i make the second hardest decision of my life but i now usr that to make sure i give my pal the best possible life i can.
To say dog is a mans best friend is very true as they are the most loyal animals around and i cant imagine life without one now.
If i were you mark i would get another dog mate, it will never replace merlin but you wouldnt want it to anyway but you would certainly make that dogs life so much better as some dogs have a horrible life.
adepac
Perch
Perch

Post by adepac »

Dave Horton wrote:
That was lovely Mark.

(I cried face)
I told Dave to day about Marks story today,new he would shed a tear and i read it last nite in my flat alone new years eve by myself alone, Image that was a moving story Mark thank you, I will not be be sitting alone next year I will be getting myself a boarder terrier to keep me company not just for Christmas thanks m8 Image
john evans
Barbel
Barbel

Post by john evans »

beautiful read mark,,had a wee cry too matey,sat and read it with my murphy cuddling in beside me,,get another dog mark you wont regret it bud
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

That brought a tear big man.My wee springer bitch(Trudy)went the same way.
Cracking read too.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

another good offering from the pool, bitter sweet, cheers mark and stew Image