Bass lures for open beach fishing.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
andy.c
Stickleback
Stickleback

Bass lures for open beach fishing.

Post by andy.c »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a few decent bass lures for me. last year I tried Savage gear sand eels/surfseekers with not much joy tbh.

I'm wondering if they may have been too big, and smaller lures might have been a better choice. I choose the Savage lures based on they looked liked they may cast a decent distance, while fishing a fairly featureless piece of coastline.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
paintman
Perch
Perch

Re: Bass lures for open beach fishing.

Post by paintman »

How big were the lures - length & weight?
Anyone else fishing the same area & caught or not?
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Can't go wrong with a 28g seeker
Pathinko for some surface fishing.
Soft plastics - evo bass are popular in irelamd
Dolive stick are excellent too.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
andy.c
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by andy.c »

The lures were the larger and medium sized ones from Savage gear, bought mainly due to my wanting to be able cast a fair way.

Bass do get caught on bait from the area, I've had them myself in the past fishing 2 rods with rag, squid and lug. I just fancy the convenience that comes with lures.

I suppose I'm struggling with the fact that my immediate area is featureless open sandy beaches.
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

A 28g Seeker or Toby would be my first choice.
Mmmmmmmm yes
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Do a lot of close in boat fishing in Cornwall casting 22gr (13cm) Westin Sandy Andys in shallow water.

If you're off the beach & want to achieve more distance with lighter eels than you're currently using you could try rigging jig type eels (such as the Westins, Savage, Red Gill Evolutions) under a bubble float or inline carp surface controllers to give you greater weight & distance without having to excessively speed up the retrieve to stay off the bottom.
andy.c
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by andy.c »

paintman wrote: Mon Apr 22 2024 20:35 -
Do a lot of close in boat fishing in Cornwall casting 22gr (13cm) Westin Sandy Andys in shallow water.

If you're off the beach & want to achieve more distance with lighter eels than you're currently using you could try rigging jig type eels (such as the Westins, Savage, Red Gill Evolutions) under a bubble float or inline carp surface controllers to give you greater weight & distance without having to excessively speed up the retrieve to stay off the bottom.
Such as bombarda floats? If so are they any good?

Thanks Andy
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Not used the bombardas specifically but bubble floats in various shapes & sizes over many years & they work so I see no reason why the bombarda wouldn't work fine.
This random youtube is using a bombarda with flies.
Several more using the bombarda if you have a look & the same chap's done one with a redgill.

ETA The more I think about it the more I think a weighted fly might be a better idea as the wing material will pulsate & flash without needing a lot of retrieval speed. I tie my own pike flies & do use a flyrod at sea with flies I've tied to simulate sandeels. Just not used them with a lure rod & float.
Will have to rectify that this summer!
andy.c
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by andy.c »

I think I'll definitely give those a try, the amount of different lures I could use with one would be endless.
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

Also don't get too caught up on distance. When wading out less than waist deep I've often seen and caught bass in the shallower water between me and the shore. May depend on the beach though.