1 x praline
1 x doughnut
1 x popcorn
1 x port
1 x white wine
1 x alcohol
1 x whisky
1 x amaretto
1 x CGCM (not sure, but it's a nut based liqueur)
1 x cotton candy
1 x candy floss
1 x natural caramel
1 x vanilla
1 x coconut
1 x green tea
1 x pineapple
1 x lime
1 x orange
1 x blood orange
1 x pomegranate
1 x mango
1 x guava
1 x pink guava
1 x strawberry
1 x passion fruit
2 x elderflower
2 x lemon sherbet
2 x garlic (the thought of a garlic ice cream doesn't bear thinking about! :pale: )

That lot should allow for some interestingly flavoured groundbaits! :laughs:
Crikey, testing that little lot will keep you out of mischief! :cool:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Re: Small method feeders - a few questions

Post by Patrick Bateman »

So I'll be back out tomorrow to the bream and tench water for my first method trip of the season. The plan is to run a straight up, popcorn-flavoured groundbait mix with no particles at all, with either pellets or boosted Band 'Um hook baits. Annoyingly, my lure box of the latter are already losing their smell, but I've got a couple of tubs of white chocolate and pineapple flavours that'll sort out the problem! :grin:

As an aside, I'm looking at getting a little trolley for my chair, carryall, bucket, etc. (I know, I sound like a carper! :eek: ) I've seen the Shakespeare one in my local tackle shop and that's too small (the handle is fixed and set too low for me to pull it comfortably). I don't want a shuttle or carp porter-type arrangement, but can anyone recommend a decent and not-too bulky match style trolley? :scratch:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So I did manage to get out Wednesday, but an issue loading pics to Photobucket yesterday means the report is a little late...

I went to bed on Tuesday having checked the weather and seen it was going to be changeable on Wednesday - we'd had some serious rain down south on Tuesday and it looked like I'd catch the back of the system as it rolled through Sussex. I got up around half an hour after I wanted to (a hangover from the previous contract where I'd been getting up at 4.30am and getting home close to 7 each night) and almost rolled over and went back to sleep. Fishing has the ability to stir even the most tired of bodies however and I hauled my a**e out of bed and into my clothes.

I arrived at the bream and tench water at 7.30 and was sorted out and fishing 45 minutes later. As suggested, the groundbait was laced with a sprinkling of the popcorn flavour and damn it smelled good! :laughs: I loaded it with a few spare soft hook pellets and 4mm trouties, just enough to use up some old bait. I embarrassed myself for the first hour, trying to sort the casting out again - man you need to practice! The weather was holding, but the bites weren't forthcoming on the white chocolate Band um's (glugged in white choc flavour) or the size 14 hook. On went a 16 with a 6mm coarse pellet, and I had a string of the usual suspects...
Some small
Some bigger
And some really tatty from spawning
All proving the method, but not exactly setting my day on fire. Up to that point, the weather had been holding, but then it started to rain - not heavily, but enough to warrant putting the hood up on my jacket. A quick change bait to a semi buoyant pineapple band um and another lovely crucian from this water hit the net - all 2lb 6oz of it! :grin:
Unlike the last crucian from this water, this fish had a really tatty tail, but it fought really well and I was chuffed to bits. :cool:
The rain died down and so did the bites. The bream and tench then put on an amazing top water show when loads of these fellas suddenly appeared on the water...
Mayflies! It was like being back at university watching the trout smash them on the Test and Itchen during "duffers fortnight"! There were tench and bream rolling everywhere - it was mad! :grin: :laughs: :laughs:
The pre-occupation was awesome to watch but resulted in bites drying up completely. Then it started to rain again. It got heavier - jacket hood up. And heavier - thinking about the brolly. And it became biblical - not enough space under the brolly for all the gear and I was getting soaked, too! :roll: Being a persistent bugger, I dropped on a strawberry Band um and the fish went nuts! :grin: I couldn't keep the bait in the water for longer than 20 seconds without the rod ripping round! :grin: In amongst the hoards of bream, this fella paid me a visit.
By now I was drenched, but I was beyond caring - the fishing was as epic as the weather was atrocious! I've never done that well in the rain so this was an eye opener for me. I also noted that all this action was happening between 11am and 2pm - the slowest time for all of my trips to this water last season. At about 2pm, and having changed baits to keep the mad flow of bites coming, the rain completely stopped. I was knackered, coated in slime and my swim looked like a bomb had hit it. I set about sorting it out and had a bite to eat. After lunch the sun came out and the bites slowed again. On with a betaine green Band um and another tinca paid me a visit - I weighed this one at 4lb 8oz - slightly bigger than the earlier fish which I'd estimated at between 3lb 8oz-4lb.
She was certainly fuller in the girth than the first fish and put up one hell of a scrap! :cool:
The rest of the day was spent hauling in bream of between 1-4lb, which is fun in so far as it goes, but the tench and crucian left me hankering for more.
I'd bought some Sonubaits Lava - a much cheaper version of Korda's Goo to try. It was OK to use, but I found the liquid ran off the method ball too quickly (which as the stuff can stain clothing is not great when casting!) :afraid:
I sorted that out by taking a leaf from my last contract at the ice cream manufacturer and putting it inside the ball as a Lava ripple! :laughs: This is it before the last layer of groundbait goes into the mould.
That worked really well and the Krill version releases a fantastic cloud of pink smoke in the water, which when matched to the krill Ban um's kept the fish coming at a real rate of knots! :smile:
I noticed that my 7lb/size 16 Guru hook lengths were snapping more than I thought they should, so I switched down to a 6lb/size 18 link. Oddly, these held up better but I started to suffer a few hook pulls. After hand landing the last half dozen bream to allow my net to dry out, I packed up when the storm clouds re-appeared at 6.30pm.
A great day on the water, lots of fish and the little lure boxes of hook baits made swapping baits out easy which gave me a much faster progression of bites and fish on the bank. I've still got work to do on my casting accuracy and I'll be looking for a water with less bream in - hopefully somewhere with a few more obliging tench. It looks like this water is the best crucian water the club has however, so I may have to sacrifice some of those to get more of the red-eyed devils.
Still enjoying it and looking forward to the next trip! :cool:
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Fri May 13 2016 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Thats got me thinking about some of the baits I used to use as a kid.

Used to score very well for the roach :laughs:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I also have been trying different off the self foof additives over the last year and I was quite surprise what scored well, until I looked at the ingredients.

I've also been spicing up my own particles mix with red chill.....just don't get down wind of it when I'm spodding :veryevil:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

It'll be interesting to see if I can sort out a tench mix from a bream mix - I know they both love the sweet flavours, but I'm working on trying to get more tench in the swim. First thought is more hemp as the bream don't seem overly keen on the stuff, whereas I've seen tench go nuts for it! I need to dig out Archie Braddock's Fantastic Feeder Fishing again - man that was an inspirational read when I read it first - it really opened my eyes to using flavours to select for different species! :cool:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if I can sort out a tench mix from a bream mix - I know they both love the sweet flavours, but I'm working on trying to get more tench in the swim. First thought is more hemp as the bream don't seem overly keen on the stuff, whereas I've seen tench go nuts for it! I need to dig out Archie Braddock's Fantastic Feeder Fishing again - man that was an inspirational read when I read it first - it really opened my eyes to using flavours to select for different species! :cool:
Strawberry groundbait :shrug:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
:thumbs:

Hemp and maples have been my mix for tench with a spicy twist.....need to prove it on a bream infested water though :laughs:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Andrew Croft wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Bream love strawberry, :roll: but so do the big roach :grin:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Jason Skilton wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Bream love strawberry, :roll: but so do the big roach :grin:
They do ? ive not much interest in em tbh. I've done exceptionally well with the strawberry for tench. in non bream waters mind you :grin:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Try coriander power in brown crumb instead Andy ;-)
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

There isn't a bait that won't get picked up by tench and not bream so bait alone won't pick out the tench. Also, tench don't really live in big shoals like bream so sport won't be very quick by method feeder standards.

Location is the big factor for tench, find them and they are not too difficult to catch, finding them in big enough numbers in one swim to make a good days sport is very difficult though!

Sensas tanches is very good for attracting tench instead of bream, its not easy to find but its worth the effort. Mix the juice from a tin of sweetcorn and a good glug of cornsteep liquor into the water before mixing the groundbait. Add a few grains of corn to the mix and if the waters not too deep you can fire some out as freebies too if you like. Don't feed it regularly though or you'll draw the fish up in the water, not good when your feeders on the deck! Fire out a pouch or two and then nothing more until the bites dry up. Use 8 or 10mm yellow boilies as hookers.

Personally from a former matchmans point of view, as long as the tip keeps getting pulled around on a regular basis then I'd enjoy that and not worry too much about whats pulling back.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So I went back to the picturesque water with the carp (the one where I originally broke the Mini Plus) on Saturday with one of my oldest mates. He fishes about once a year so the trips are a real highlight of the year for us (he lives in Bristol so we don't see each other much either). I'd convinced him to shell out for a 10ft feeder rod and reel and I set about showing him the method feeder ropes. Like me when I first started, his casting was hilarious at first, but he was soon dropping it right into the reed line on the island we were fishing against. The usual plethora of carp up to just under 10lb hit the net as well as some bream and roach up to a pound and we enjoyed a fantastic day shooting the breeze. :grin:

However, it'd been ages since I've fished the place and I hadn't forgotten about those margin fish at the end of the day. :bounce: I mixed up a couple of kilos of groundbait, and an hour before we planned to pack up in it went into both swims. I set up a 13ft 1lb 2oz power float rod, 6lb line and a size 10 hook under one of my self cocking pole floats. About 30 minutes later, two carp started ripping up my margin. On went two grains of corn and it was taken immediately. 30 seconds later and the hook pulled. :mad: Would I get another shot? Yep - a very big ghostie fancied some grub five minutes later and it too snaffled the corn immediately, only for it to stuff me in the margin reeds immediately. :cry: It was a big fish and I was gutted, certain this was the last chance. We packed up and of course I hoped against hope for one last shot. A mid double cruised into the swim and started picking at the groundbait - with literally the last grain of corn I had I lowered the rig into the swim and waited. About two minutes this time, but it felt like an eternity and the yellow bristle buried. :grin: I'd set the drag looser and the fish went mental. I was desperate to land it and I did everything right - I sat back into my chair (I'd been standing right back from the swim to avoid the rod sticking over the margin), allowed the fish to have it's head, kept the rod low and was endlessly patient. I tightened the drag ever so slightly (it was set so that I could barely reel in without the line slipping) and my world at that second stopped as the sickening spring back of the rod told me that for the third time the hook had pulled. :evil: Gutted. I'd hatched a plan thanks to the advice in this thread, had three chances with higher than average fish and blown them all! :roll: :pale: Oddly no fish showed in my mate's margin swim...

I'll be back for those margin fish, but what do I need to do to increase my chances of landing one of these zoo creatures? A pole purchase is out, so do I need to switch to a more forgiving rod? (The 13 footer is pretty stiff in the tip) Increase line/hook sizes? Just learn how to bloody fish? :laughs: :scratch:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Trebles, patrick. I joke of course but i know some americans.use a single treble for carp :laughs:

Good write up. As for the hook pulls, longer rod imo as line pickup is much quicker. 10ft just dont feel right to me. My mate uses a 10ft feeder and i always outfish him with a 12.

I seen 4 carp come right in to my swim yesterday sat in 1ft of water nosing the drop off from 3 inch of water :grin: couldnt get one as i sat my ungroundbaited feeder right next to them. No interest but did get a good fighting common later in the day.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Good stuff mate. You lost the margin fish because you hooked the corn directly on to the hook. Use a hair rig so the hook is unimpeded, it'll give you a better hook hold. I wouldn't use 6lb mainline for margin fishing, as you've found, they go like stink and somtimes you really have to try and put the brakes on, hard to do with 6lb line.

Rather than a couple of grains of corn try using 5 or 6. It'll stand out to the fish and present a good meal all in one spot, it often gets picked up within moments if fish are present.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Spot on Patrick!a good read on your technical approach,although I bait heavily with corn for tench n bream I rarely use corn on hook,I prefer 2 grains of flavoured plastic corn on a short hair,
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Well, its been a very long time since I've been fishing since I moved to Gloucestershire and started a new gig. It's still mental but I managed to pop up to Fosters of Birmingham yesterday for a bit of retail therapy. I picked up a few more flavours of band um's as well as taking a punt on a couple of carp baits - 10mm Nash Citruz pop ups and some Sticky Baits peach and pepper wafters. I've bought the latter two because I also bought some of the little Guru feeder clips that allow you to pop baits up off the method feeder at various depths - I'll be interested to see how that works. The peach & pepper wafters are a bit big (about 14mm) so I may cut these down.
Of more concern just now is finding a decent commercial to try them on - Hill View in Tewkesbury is the one being recommended to me.
Not sure when I'll get out again, but starting to think about it again...
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Well, its been a very long time since I've been fishing since I moved to Gloucestershire and started a new gig. It's still mental but I managed to pop up to Fosters of Birmingham yesterday for a bit of retail therapy. I picked up a few more flavours of band um's as well as taking a punt on a couple of carp baits - 10mm Nash Citruz pop ups and some Sticky Baits peach and pepper wafters. I've bought the latter two because I also bought some of the little Guru feeder clips that allow you to pop baits up off the method feeder at various depths - I'll be interested to see how that works. The peach & pepper wafters are a bit big (about 14mm) so I may cut these down.
Of more concern just now is finding a decent commercial to try them on - Hill View in Tewkesbury is the one being recommended to me.

I've just re-read this thread and its given me the urge to drag the match gear out from the darkest corner of the tackle room and go and have a go at this myself!
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

I've just re-read this thread and its given me the urge to drag the match gear out from the darkest corner of the tackle room and go and have a go at this myself!
I've been watching a lot of pellet waggler videos in my enforced absence from the bank Dan - there's a Mini plus for that, too...! :roll: :laughs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

I've been watching a lot of pellet waggler videos in my enforced absence from the bank Dan - there's a Mini plus for that, too...! :roll: :laughs:
For some reason that was a technique I never really enjoyed, its certainly effective but I just couldn't get into it.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Well this thread went a bit quiet.

After a frankly dreadful career choice and move to Gloucestershire that all went to hell in a hand cart after a year, I'm back in Sussex again and (happy to say) enjoying life again. I'll be re-joining the club whose waters are documented in this thread so I can get back at it from May when their new season starts and my current contract finishes (timing is everything with contracts!) Having had a year of zero fishing, I'm back with a work life balance that'll see me on the bank again soon. :yahoo:

Whilst I've not been able to get on the bank in the last year, I've been steadily formulating some plans and buying a few bits and pieces for my new (old) waters. So far:

1. I've bought another Shimano 2500FA Aero (now discontinued so I needed to go to eBay Germany for that one)
2. To go with the Aero, a Drennan ultralight mini feeder 9-10ft
3. 5lb Daiwa Tournament ST line (the 8lb I'm using for the method work is a brilliant feeder mono imvho)
4. Assorted mini (non-method) feeders
5 A few spools of ready-tied Guru light feeder hook lengths in 16 & 18 hook sizes

The above kit is to target some of the decent roach that one of the waters has - it could be interesting as the lake has pretty much only roach and carp in it (knowing me the carp will quickly show me the error of my ways!) The plan is to start on the mini feeders for the roach on the Drennan rod, with the Mini Plus/method in reserve should the carp show up.

I've also 'refined' (if you can call it that!) an approach for the margin carp using the Duellist, 10lb line straight through to a size 10 hair rig and the self cocking pole float I used in '15/'16.

I wanted to tidy up my luggage too so I've picked up a Preston small rod holdall that keeps everything much better balanced that the Skeleton I was using before. I do think that my old Abu brolly is overly heavy and so that may be getting replaced if I can find a nice lightweight brolly to replace it with (any recommendations chaps)?

For some inexplicable reason, I also find myself hankering after a whip - no idea where the desire to catch a load of bits comes from (other than for livelies!) but I may just turn into a match angler yet! :laughs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I'll look forward to your updates mate, I've enjoyed the seeing the stages of your transformation into a matchman!
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Bloody hell, I've just discovered that I'm literally working 3 miles away from the most awesome match-focussed shop, Benwick Sports! I fear my credit card may take a hammering and we'll see some more tackle purchases on this thread soon - they've got the Sensas Tanches that you recommend Dan, too, so a few bags of that'll be coming home with me next week!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun Dec 10 2017 20:11 -
Bloody hell, I've just discovered that I'm literally working 3 miles away from the most awesome match-focussed shop, Benwick Sports! I fear my credit card may take a hammering and we'll see some more tackle purchases on this thread soon - they've got the Sensas Tanches that you recommend Dan, too, so a few bags of that'll be coming home with me next week!
Oh you'll be getting that whip then, Benwicks do a good selection. My recommendation would be a drennan acolyte pro 800, not cheap, but bloody good.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Membership to the club is in the post and despite my current contract having been extended to July, I intended to be on the bank in a couple of weeks time when the club season starts in May. Just aching to get going again...
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun Apr 22 2018 11:17 -
Membership to the club is in the post and despite my current contract having been extended to July, I intended to be on the bank in a couple of weeks time when the club season starts in May. Just aching to get going again...
Anything been happening Patrick? :thumbs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Not quite yet Al. Contract extended (again!), which is great for the old bank balance but not the fishing. Have 10 days off coming up in a couple of weeks though, so last minute kit prep is coming along nicely...
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat May 19 2018 13:45 -
Not quite yet Al. Contract extended (again!), which is great for the old bank balance but not the fishing. Have 10 days off coming up in a couple of weeks though, so last minute kit prep is coming along nicely...
Good luck when u get back on the bank :thumbs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So after a year away in the aforementioned worst contact ever, immediately followed up last year by being away in a great contract, I'm back in Sussex, with some time on my hands and keen to get this whole match style approach going again.

I went out on Wednesday (on the opening day of the season for my club) to the water with the tench, bream and crucians as seen earlier in this thread. I got up early and arrived c. 6.30am to find just one other chap in the car park. He set up next to the car park, whilst I walked around to my "usual" swim to get re-acquainted with the water. As I was setting up I could see him slip the net under a nice tench on the float.

Buoyed by that, I sorted the groundbait, using a Korda Krusha to pulverise some assorted mixed band ums and other boilie type baits into the mix:

That turned out to be a mistake, because some of those were pop ups and so I had the ducks and geese mobbing my swim to get at the floating particles! :oops:

I started with regular casts and before long was getting into a nice rhythm. I've picked up an 8' 6" Preston Mini Plus, but was sticking to the 10 footer for today. (The shorther rod will be used on the island-containing small carp venue you've also seen earlier in the thread). The lake was filling up quickly however and by 9am there were 14 guys on a water with just 23 swims. I'd never seen the place so busy. Looking at my club book showed me that the lake had been restocked over the closed season with tench, bream and ide (a species I've never caught) so that would probably explain it.

A couple of hours in and I got my first pluck, a small drop back I couldn't hit. And over the rest of the day I got three more such plucks. Of all the anglers I saw two fish caught, including that early tench for my fellow early-riser. Yep, it was a nightmare start to the season. I trudged back to the car having blanked for the first time on this water and feeling I need to up my game somewhat - a chastening experience as I thought all I had to do was turn up.

One of the upshots of the day was to re-evaluate my gear, As a result, out is going the (now ageing) Nash chair and unwieldy Middy Stargrip system side table and rod rests. In are coming a Preston Inception feeder chair and some Off Box 36 accessories, including a feeder arm, rear rod rest, side tray and brolly holder (basically replacing the Middy Items). This is the chair which arrives on Thursday along with all the other bits bar the side table which I'll have to wait a few weeks for.

As per my thread in the tackle forum, I've also picked up a MAP X4 barrow, because my gear is starting to look more like that of a matchman (minus the seatbox!) :eek:

The Nash chair, Middy bits and a load of other tackle including rods and reels is going to two of my Godsons, so I'm looking forward to taking them fishing with their new gear too!

Hopefully more regular updates are coming this summer on this thread - assuming I learn how to catch fish again! :hissy: :laughs:
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

Opening days are usually disappointing; the fish aren’t used to so many people on the bank. Good to get started and know what needs sorting with your gear though. Can only get better
Actually know as Danny..