River Wye Barbel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

River Wye Barbel

Post by Mercman »

My two sons have treated me to a 3 day trip to the Wye next month for my 60th birthday.

We are fishing the Red Lion Stretch (Moccas) at Bredwardine. I was just wondering if anyone had fished it before and can give us a heads up on the place with regard to tackle, best baits and methods etc? Seen a few youtube videos etc but word of mouth is generally better IMHO.

I have been told to fish daybreak and dusk but to forget the daytime due to canoeists and general disruption on the river, is this correct are can decent sport be had during the daytime too?
Thanks for any info.....
Ray Waker
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: River Wye Barbel

Post by charliedog »

I have only limited experience but the fishing quality seems to depend on the conditions prior to your visit, if clear and low you may well struggle during the day and need to fish tight to overhangs at dawn and dusk even. If coloured and high but receeding you seem to catch anywhere at anytime of day, any baits
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Maybe worth catching up with Adam fisher off the wye and ask foundation, had a day with him there last year, nice guy and knows the river inside out,check out their website πŸ‘
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Tue May 23 2017 19:23 -
Maybe worth catching up with Adam fisher off the wye and ask foundation, had a day with him there last year, nice guy and knows the river inside out,check out their website πŸ‘
Thanks....any contact details please?
Ray Waker
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Haven't got them now,his number is on their website,when I fished a stretch near there he came and gave me a guide of the swims (he will guide you for a full day if you want)for an hour and will let you know river conditions, going swims/baits etc, cost me about thirty quid for a day ticket and an hour with him, was money well spent thoughπŸ‘he runs a couple of stretches near the pub, I fished courtfield stretch,was beautifulπŸ‘
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Just google Adam fisher ,river wye foundation πŸ‘.as Chris said conditions will obviously have a big effect on catches on there, being a spate river
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I know Adam quite well, he may be able to help you, google angling dreams Adam fisher, although I don't think this is one of the stretches he controls he may still offer advice, if you get to speak to him, tell him I said hi!

Pellets will be the main bait on the wye I'm sure, putting just a very few in a pva bag and a very long mono hook link will be a popular method.
Barbel do feed better at low light and after dark and so lets hope it not bright and sunny and the water has some colour too.
Swims with a faster than average flow, slightly faster than walking pace should be looked for, the outsides of bends preferably with a big overhang and a crease would be nice.
During the day, deeper than average swims will be best particularly if they are in the shadows.
Fish swims in rotation, bait a few spots, then fish one after the other, putting a bit more bait in when you leave each spot.
Sweetcorn and hemp will be an underused method I bet and well worth taking as will lobworms.

Give Adam a ring!

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Thanks for the very useful info guys... :thumbs: I will give Adam a call.
Ray Waker
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mercman wrote:
My two sons have treated me to a 3 day trip to the Wye next month for my 60th birthday.

We are fishing the Red Lion Stretch (Moccas) at Bredwardine. I was just wondering if anyone had fished it before and can give us a heads up on the place with regard to tackle, best baits and methods etc? Seen a few youtube videos etc but word of mouth is generally better IMHO.

I have been told to fish daybreak and dusk but to forget the daytime due to canoeists and general disruption on the river, is this correct are can decent sport be had during the daytime too?
Thanks for any info.....
Are you staying at the Red Lion? Food is always of a good stamp, Pigeon Pie always went down well and there breakfast's are spot on too. Butty Bach is a good pint also. Their is a map of the various beats hanging up, Coxes Coomb was always a favourite area for many, though I always done better on beats four or five. Don't expect multiple captures like on the Wye and Usk fisheries, the fish on the Red Lion have seen it all over the years.

I liked a good depth of water right under my rod top, use a bait dropper to prime your swim then go for a walk and leave to settle. We used to fish it in September, watching the Salmon run upstream when it had some water on was superb to see. Some nice Perch to over three pounds too, large Dace etc.

We caught all times of the day, good luck and enjoy it.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Cheers Monts... yes we are staying at the Red Lion, I've heard his Steaks are great too.
Ray Waker