Who wouldn’t want to do this.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Who wouldn’t want to do this.

Post by pikerholic2 »

Yeeeeeha as Gordy would say !

Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Who wouldn’t want to do this.

Post by Mike J »

:grin:
I have!
The biggest problem is trying to fish effectively while constantly having to look out to sea for the big rollers that can take you off your feet.
The Bass fishing down that way is like it was here in the 60's before out stocks were decimated by our EU partners.

Be nice to believe the fish went back alive, but I doubt it as nobody seems to worry about restrictions.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

If he was fishing for the pot surely he would have chapped it on the head as soon as he landed it Mike, if it went back it would have been in poor shape, that has got to be some of the worst fish handling skills I have ever seen, he could not hold it without one of them bloody Boga grips.
Each to his own PH but, wearing a wet suit go to fishing does not appeal to much to me these days exciting though it looks admittedly.

Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Will Smith wrote: Fri Apr 06 2018 20:26 -
If he was fishing for the pot surely he would have chapped it on the head as soon as he landed it Mike, if it went back it would have been in poor shape, that has got to be some of the worst fish handling skills I have ever seen, he could not hold it without one of them bloody Boga grips.
Each to his own PH but, wearing a wet suit go to fishing does not appeal to much to me these days exciting though it looks admittedly.

Will.

The normal method down there is to drop them in a pool back from the sea and only kill them when they leave.
Handling skills are not required as recreational caught fish are not sold in markets but to restaurants or friends.
In Portugal recreational anglers must cut the top lobe of the tail fin of all fish retained, with a 10kg plus 1 trophy fish per day limit.
It is rare indeed for any table fish to be released by Iberian anglers, however small.

:shrug:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

I dont have the slightest problem with folks fishing for the pot Mike but, if I want to keep a fish for the table it gets a quick knock on the bonce as soon as it is landed.
Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Will Smith wrote: Sat Apr 07 2018 17:28 -
I dont have the slightest problem with folks fishing for the pot Mike but, if I want to keep a fish for the table it gets a quick knock on the bonce as soon as it is landed.
Will.

Nor me Will, and Ive eaten most species, even Marlin and Sharks.
Problem is we here in the UK we have a complete ban on an angler taking even a single Bass for the table and being English we follow rhe Law to the letter, whereas elsewhere they take more or less what they like, eg; last year when there was a Europe wide one Bass limit video links/posts on here showed anglers taking more than one fish.

Around Iberia commercial rod and lining for Bass is common and mostly unregulated because the majority of the fish go for export, mostly to France. Seems if the country is benefiting everyone has a blind eye.
Worth mentioning that their Social Security is pitiful and stops after three years even for the most severe cases, thereafter it is everyone for themselves and the sea and whats in it is there, for everyone.

If you ever have a holiday down there I can tell you of some great places to cast a lure. :cool: