dog fish on float gear

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

dog fish on float gear

Post by stubbojo »

been out for the bass again on the float live prawn , fishing in approx 25ft of water , my set up was set at 6 to 8ft deep , had a cracking bite /run couldnt believe a dog fish took the bait at that depth , in all my years never had a dog fish on a float set up ......should have took a photo
thats 2 dogfish at the same venue on float gear and big ones at that ......anybody else had a doggys on float set up .......

always thought dog fish were bottom feeders myself :scratch:

regards steve
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: dog fish on float gear

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Oct 09 2022 19:54 -
been out for the bass again on the float live prawn , fishing in approx 25ft of water , my set up was set at 6 to 8ft deep , had a cracking bite /run couldnt believe a dog fish took the bait at that depth , in all my years never had a dog fish on a float set up ......should have took a photo
thats 2 dogfish at the same venue on float gear and big ones at that ......anybody else had a doggys on float set up .......

always thought dog fish were bottom feeders myself :scratch:

regards steve

Well that is certainly a first.
Never had one on anything other that a bottom bait, even when using a christmas tree its always the bottom hook that gets snaffled.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

and me mike was really gobsmacked .......was convinced it was a bass at the time
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Loads of doggies here in South Wales, always feeding

Never caught one on a suspended float rig though !
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Justa thought, did you catch it over slack water?
Small fish rise in the water column during slacks, its why it is the best time to net sandeels, so perhaps the doggies were up there chasing somethings?

:shrug:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 11 2022 09:33 -
Justa thought, did you catch it over slack water?
Small fish rise in the water column during slacks, its why it is the best time to net sandeels, so perhaps the doggies were up there chasing somethings?

:shrug:

just going on slack mike , the water was alive with small silver whitebait type fish , guillemots and cormorants...were feasting , seals too .....but you cant get a bass bite till it floods on this venue had all my bass flooding here .......funny been walking past this venue for 30 odd years and never seen a soul fishing until now .......7lb fish out yesterday not mine
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I've had doggies on suspended baits but not far off bottom. Never had one on the float though!
Mmmmmmmm yes
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

another doggy to the float today ,lost a big bass today to the weed bed could not stop this one .....on its first initial run towards the shore on heavy gear too...
i fished 2 rods today so was watching 2 floats ...fatal ........
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Strangely I had a dogfish on the float this summer, shore fishing over a kelp bed. I’ve caught hundreds of them over the years but this was a first for me.
Cheers
Ben
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Oct 16 2022 18:01 -
another doggy to the float today ,lost a big bass today to the weed bed could not stop this one .....on its first initial run towards the shore on heavy gear too...
i fished 2 rods today so was watching 2 floats ...fatal ........

To stop them, fish heavy and don't let them get going, that is my golden rule.
I learnt the hard way, a v heavy fish on the Portland Race allowed to run uptide promptly unhooked itself when it reversed, another in an estuary got itself into the main flow and tore off, I did eventually get it to the boat but only because it wrapped itself a ton of weed. Those experiences taught me that if they want line make them fight for every inch which usually results in them coming in pretty quickly.