Tiger nuts

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Tiger nuts

Post by Dave Horton »

Creek Chub wrote: Fri May 19 2023 14:00 -
Soak them in full fat genuine Coca Cola for two days then add a table spoon of golden syrup and a table spoon of sugar per kilo then boil/simmer for forty five minutes. Let them cool then put them in the freezer, take out the day before you go.
Crikey!

(The mind boggles at how someone first tries this face)
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Dave have you tried a stack of tigers 3+ on the hair or 2 tigers and a small Cork ball between them? I find bream can deL with a single tiger or double if really motivated but 3 seems to be too much. Another trick from Martin Clark was two tigers on the hair with a gap between them - I used small float stops or a cocktail stock to fix the lower tiger - seems to but them off to a degree whereas carp hoover the lot up. Another trick you'll see the Korda guys use is 3-4 tigers threaded onto braid with a bit of Cork between each one - tie the ends together to get a bundle and then mounted on your rig ( d rig best) . If that don't work dynamite
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Dave Horton wrote: Fri May 19 2023 15:05 -
Soak them in full fat genuine Coca Cola for two days then add a table spoon of golden syrup and a table spoon of sugar per kilo then boil/simmer for forty five minutes. Let them cool then put them in the freezer, take out the day before you go.
Crikey!

A lot of peple boil a ham in Coke etc so probably stems from that?
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Anyone care to pass on any thoughts with them for Tench ?
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Sun May 21 2023 17:48 -
Dave have you tried a stack of tigers 3+ on the hair or 2 tigers and a small Cork ball between them? I find bream can deL with a single tiger or double if really motivated but 3 seems to be too much. Another trick from Martin Clark was two tigers on the hair with a gap between them - I used small float stops or a cocktail stock to fix the lower tiger - seems to but them off to a degree whereas carp hoover the lot up. Another trick you'll see the Korda guys use is 3-4 tigers threaded onto braid with a bit of Cork between each one - tie the ends together to get a bundle and then mounted on your rig ( d rig best) . If that don't work dynamite
I only tried double Tigers and the whole thing was a bit half hearted once the Bream showed again to be honest.

(Hahaha @ dynamite face)
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

ChrisWales wrote: Sun May 21 2023 19:47 -
Dave Horton wrote: Fri May 19 2023 15:05 -
Crikey!

A lot of peple boil a ham in Coke etc so probably stems from that?
Ah, I didn't?
(Know that face)
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Dave maybe thr answer is to target the carp on thr surface? Weather's right and limited chance of bream ( although I have caught a bream on a floater!)
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Mon May 22 2023 18:35 -
Dave maybe thr answer is to target the carp on thr surface? Weather's right and limited chance of bream ( although I have caught a bream on a floater!)
I think he will be pestered by 3lb rudd though! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

So far having a cracking carp season on the tigers - three 30+ and loads of back up fish all really close in. Using particle mix with a few tigers added but not loads. Was out and about yesterday - had 6 fish biggest mid double - long may it continue
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Oldskoolfool wrote: Mon Jun 05 2023 15:29 -
So far having a cracking carp season on the tigers - three 30+ and loads of back up fish all really close in. Using particle mix with a few tigers added but not loads. Was out and about yesterday - had 6 fish biggest mid double - long may it continue
:thumbs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

If I had to choose one bait, tigers everything, versatile.
Tim
Timothy edwards
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Always a handful of tigers ,a tin of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn in with my pigeon conditioner, and some dead maggots as well,get that lot going in regular,sorted
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

delboy wrote: Sun Jul 02 2023 17:55 -
Always a handful of tigers ,a tin of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn in with my pigeon conditioner, and some dead maggots as well,get that lot going in regular,sorted
Get them grubbing, thay make mistakes, saying that more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Timothy edwards
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Definitely had a consistent year so far - only fish days but not blanked yet! Weed is terrible on my currentvwater but still managed to sneak out a good fish on a double balanced tiger set up. Background feed us currently a mix of hemp, pigeon conditioner and casters which they seem to love
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

Oldskoolfool wrote: Sun Jul 02 2023 19:42 -
Definitely had a consistent year so far - only fish days but not blanked yet! Weed is terrible on my currentvwater but still managed to sneak out a good fish on a double balanced tiger set up. Background feed us currently a mix of hemp, pigeon conditioner and casters which they seem to love
Hold them in the area, with tigs there's always something left usually if you get wiped out, my only trouble with tigs is thames bream, thay like them.

Picture the scene, first light everything good then one bleep, u know, ahhhh
Timothy edwards
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Would love to put casters in my mix but they cost to much,even my pigeon conditioner went up to just under 20 quid, :afraid: I found another one similar (no aniseed) for 12 quid, not sure how important the aniseed is .
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

Been on the large catering tins of chic peas, there good the liquid is unreal,
Timothy edwards
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

horseshoe3 wrote: Mon Jul 03 2023 15:25 -
Been on the large catering tins of chic peas, there good the liquid is unreal,
One pit local to us ,was a great particle water .always had a tin or two of chick peas mixed in it .
Regards
Tom
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

horseshoe3 wrote: Mon Jul 03 2023 11:21 -
Hold them in the area, with tigs there's always something left usually if you get wiped out, my only trouble with tigs is thames bream, thay like them.

Picture the scene, first light everything good then one bleep, u know, ahhhh
I have had my full share of bream on tigers...but bream dont take tigers do they! :roll:

Cheers, Alan
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I've never found tigers are 'carp only' but I don't think they are 'first choice' for bream and tench.

I agree on the cost of casters but only using a small amount but they seem to attract the bug tench in my current venue

Everything is getting more expensive- recently bought a sack of maize and shock how much that has gone up. Gonna get a quote for hemp when my current supply runs out! I like chicken peas as well - prefer the brown chana ones - sometimes get tins in asda under the KTC brand.