Hopeless Fishing Clothing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Hopeless Fishing Clothing

Post by Taffypiker »

I don't know if it's just me but I reckon the coarse , sea and game clothing we have to put up with compared to running , football , horseriding , climbing equipment is generally completely crap and of poor quality

I bought a pair of snowbee rock hoppers that are supposed to be the bee knees in terms of boots for fishing on seaweed, slippy rock ledges , boulders etc

Whilst they are quite grippy due to the studs they are really flimsy and unsupportive around the sole and ankle

130 quid , I expected better
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Hopeless Fishing Clothing

Post by delboy »

I bought a pair of wellies from aldi for 9 quid, split in 5 place's but superglue and fantastic elastic have given them a bit more life, my fishing coat came out of a skip, it had a bit of mouse damage but I can live with that, the thermal jacket came from work 10 years ago, it hasn't got nash or fox on it, it says M25 contract
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Military 1st...forget fishing branded clothing...tho i willl say, my savage gear hoodies etc have lasted for yeeeears, i did have the boots and i got a good few seasons out of them
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

lidl selling fishing gear this week
retired so time to smell the roses.
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Post by OLDESOX »

Ratty46 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 13:54 -
Military 1st...forget fishing branded clothing...tho i willl say, my savage gear hoodies etc have lasted for yeeeears, i did have the boots and i got a good few seasons out of them
:thumbs: :thumbs:
retired so time to smell the roses.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Agree military 1st reasonable prices and good lifespan
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

The Pit hoodie is still going strong.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

If you're looking for waterproof gear, then most clothing sold by fishing tackle companies is hopeless.
Military Ist are robbing b******s. €98 for a Brandit Teddyfleece, I got 2 from Amazon at €40 each.
Hiking, sailing and outdoor activities companies supply clothing which is much more effective at repelling the weather. I have a jacket from Mountain Warehouse which keeps me dry no matter what, also some Flexothane gear which is'nt very expensive and just ignores the rain.
Marcraft are for queers.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Can’t beat a Pikers Pit Hoodie!
Made to last πŸ˜‰
(Do I get a discount on my next one Ben?πŸ€ͺ)
Andy Sewell
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

You shouldn't need another one if they last that long boy
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Any pit polo’s still going ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

BillCollins wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 16:43 -
If you're looking for waterproof gear, then most clothing sold by fishing tackle companies is hopeless.
Military Ist are robbing b******s. €98 for a Brandit Teddyfleece, I got 2 from Amazon at €40 each.
Hiking, sailing and outdoor activities companies supply clothing which is much more effective at repelling the weather. I have a jacket from Mountain Warehouse which keeps me dry no matter what, also some Flexothane gear which is'nt very expensive and just ignores the rain.
I think overall fishing clothing by daiwa , snowbee etc is crap

Boots in particular
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 22:45 -

Boots in particular
Sundridge stuff was great until they got involved with Daiwa, then it just went down the tube....
Marcraft are for queers.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I had a Snowbee jacket which I wore for years and it was great. Eventually I wore it out. I bought another but the design and material had changed and it was crap. My French army surplus Sympatex jacket keeps on going and my more recently purchased Risdgeline jacket is good so far.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Be aware, Amazon stuff is generally not the same, you will find people selling genuine stuff but more than often than not it isn't genuine or can be old returns.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Ratty46 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 08 2023 14:05 -
Be aware, Amazon stuff is generally not the same, you will find people selling genuine stuff but more than often than not it isn't genuine or can be old returns.
Yeah, need to be aware of knock offs, but a Brandit fleece that's supplied by the Brandit online store is probably not a copy. Anyway, they can be bought from any number of sources for a lot less than at Military 1st. In fact, on the only 2 occasions that I've ordered stuff from them they f****d it up and I got no useful response from them.
w*****s.
Marcraft are for queers.
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

Matalan, 25% off sometimes.
Thick dark green jumper, very good.
Tim
Timothy edwards
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

BillCollins wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 22:48 -

Boots in particular
Sundridge stuff was great until they got involved with Daiwa, then it just went down the tube....
I don't know who makes leeda but those waist waders are great
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Ratty46 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 13:54 -
Supportive wellies ?

With grip ?
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09 2023 12:10 -

Boots in particular
You treated yourself?
Yeah, they're quite good for the money.
Marcraft are for queers.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Of course if you look at clothing aimed at carp anglers, most IS poor. There are some exceptions, Fox for example turn out some very good items at the higher end of their range. But to say that all fishing specific waterproof clothing is rubbish, is frankly false. Two brands that stand out are Simms and Grundens - angling specific clothing that's designed for fishing and is exceptionally good. Vision is another brand that turns out the good stuff. I own jackets and bibs from all these brands. Here I'm talking about jackets and bibs that'll keep you dry and warm, standing all day in an open boat in the rain and also navigating big waves with associated spray over your head (no greater test). They also have little extras, unlike something you'll pick up that's aimed at trekking or climbing... drain holes in external pockets, sunglasses wipes built in, high collars to cut out wind and rain as you motor along, plier pockets, D rings for the kill switch, high capillary strips in the legs to prevent water ingress when you sit after standing. My Simms bibs even have extra material at heel area, which often gets a lot of contact as you move around the boat.

Thermal? I have a couple of Simms jackets that are very thin for layering, but are super warm. The only area I step away from Simms for outer clothing is what I wear for bank fishing, as here you're going to need something a bit different, so the Fox 25k jacket and bibs are what I use and are very impressive. I've never once got wet wearing mine... hoodies, fleeces, combats and head gear, I use Pentagon and Helikon-Tex.

As an aside, anyone else find it hilarious when you see someone carp fishing in all the latest waterproof clobber from Nash, Korda, etc... throw in the latest Wofte cap, all looking on point to be considered a walking advertisement, but combined with WHITE TRAINERS :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

BillCollins wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09 2023 12:31 -
Taffypiker wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09 2023 12:10 -

Boots in particular
You treated yourself?
Yeah, they're quite good for the money.
I wouldn't wear them in heavy weather . But then I don't go out if its sheeting down .
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09 2023 17:23 -
Of course if you look at clothing aimed at carp anglers, most IS poor. There are some exceptions, Fox for example turn out some very good items at the higher end of their range. But to say that all fishing specific waterproof clothing is rubbish, is frankly false. Two brands that stand out are Simms and Grundens - angling specific clothing that's designed for fishing and is exceptionally good. Vision is another brand that turns out the good stuff. I own jackets and bibs from all these brands. Here I'm talking about jackets and bibs that'll keep you dry and warm, standing all day in an open boat in the rain and also navigating big waves with associated spray over your head (no greater test). They also have little extras, unlike something you'll pick up that's aimed at trekking or climbing... drain holes in external pockets, sunglasses wipes built in, high collars to cut out wind and rain as you motor along, plier pockets, D rings for the kill switch, high capillary strips in the legs to prevent water ingress when you sit after standing. My Simms bibs even have extra material at heel area, which often gets a lot of contact as you move around the boat.

Thermal? I have a couple of Simms jackets that are very thin for layering, but are super warm. The only area I step away from Simms for outer clothing is what I wear for bank fishing, as here you're going to need something a bit different, so the Fox 25k jacket and bibs are what I use and are very impressive. I've never once got wet wearing mine... hoodies, fleeces, combats and head gear, I use Pentagon and Helikon-Tex.

As an aside, anyone else find it hilarious when you see someone carp fishing in all the latest waterproof clobber from Nash, Korda, etc... throw in the latest Wofte cap, all looking on point to be considered a walking advertisement, but combined with WHITE TRAINERS :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
A lot of that gear is out of my price range and a lot of other anglers too
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

OLDESOX wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07 2023 15:06 -
lidl selling fishing gear this week
I bought one of there olive jackets for fishing a d and a black one for civvy use In the winter
Β£25 each and the quality is pukka.. :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10 2023 00:08 -
Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09 2023 17:23 -

A lot of that gear is out of my price range and a lot of other anglers too
:thumbs: