The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Good news from Wales?

Post by greencard1 »

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 14.07.22

Conservation Groups Welcome Natural Resources Wales’s Support of Measures to Protect Salmon and Sea Trout

Joint Statement
Afonydd Cymru, The Angling Trust, WildFish Wales (formerly Salmon & Trout Conservation Wales) and The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) Wales

For the last two years Natural Resources Wales (NRW) have co-ordinated the Fish-eating Birds Advisory Group with key stakeholders. This group was tasked with reviewing current scientific evidence, and establishing expert opinion, regarding the risks that populations of fish-eating birds (specifically cormorants and goosanders) pose to conserving Wales’s threatened populations of wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and sea trout (Salmo trutta).

The Advisory Group which included Afonydd Cymru, The Angling Trust, WildFish Wales (formerly Salmon &Trout Conservation Wales), The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) Wales, as well as the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), British Trust for Ornithology, Welsh Ornithological Society, put forward 19 recommendations to NRW, to facilitate the implementation of policy in relation to fish-eating birds in Wales, with the primary aim of aiding the recovery of depleted fish stocks.

These recommendations were presented to the NRW Board for approval on the 13th of July 2022.

Dylan Roberts, Head of Fisheries for The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust said, “Populations of our salmon and sea trout are on the brink of extinction. Protecting every young fish, to enable them to reach the sea safely, is paramount. We are at the point where every fish, juvenile or adult, counts. As a group of fish conservation organisations we are delighted that the Board has accepted each recommendation in full, and we now urge NRW to put resources in place to implement and deliver this new more effective fish-eating birds management policy to better protect salmon and sea trout populations to help return them to sustainable conservation levels.”

Populations of salmon and sea trout in Wales have declined significantly over the last 30 years, with NRW now classifying populations on every river as ‘at risk’ or ‘probably at risk’. This means that populations of these iconic fish in Wales are now below sustainable levels and on a downward trend.

Richard Garner Williams of WildFish Wales, said: “With sewin (sea trout) and salmon stocks in serious decline it is imperative that immediate action be taken before they are lost forever. WildFish Wales looks forward to the day when stocks are restored and such interventions will no longer be necessary. In the meantime, we urge NRW to employ equal urgency and determination in addressing the many other factors, including water quality pressures and barriers, contributing to the decline of our precious sewin and salmon.”

With the aim of restoring healthy and more sustainable populations of Welsh salmon and sea trout, NRW published their ‘Salmon and sea trout plan of action for Wales 2020’. A key component of the 2020 plan was to review the current scientific evidence surrounding the impact of cormorants and goosanders on juvenile salmon and trout in particular. The review concluded that although these fish are under pressure from a number of factors, fish-eating birds are a pressure and could reduce the chance of salmon and sea trout populations recovering. Of particular concern was the impact of fish-eating birds during spring, when the young salmon and trout migrate downstream, through our rivers and out to sea as “smolts” and can be held up in shoals in pools and behind weirs making them easy prey for fish-eating birds.

Mark Owen, Head of Fisheries, Angling Trust, said, “The AT welcome the difficult decisions that NRW have made in the interests of conservation of salmon and sea trout, two threatened with extinction in Wales. We look forward to robust but sensitive planning to control fish eating birds during this period of decline for salmon but also to ensure that strong legal measures are put in place to control agricultural pollution, other sources of pollution and river habitat degradation which must be regulated. For too long, NRW has focused on implementing rules to prevent anglers from taking fish, but have done little to address the broader pressures on salmon and sea trout, including from predation. I hope today’s decision will mark the beginning of a change of approach from NRW.”

Chris Mills, Chairman of Afonydd Cymru, added: “Afonydd Cymru (AC) was pleased to be party to this review and welcomes NRW’s decision to allow increased measures to minimise the predation of migratory salmonids by fish eating birds. It is important that all the biodiversity of our rivers is conserved. However, salmon and sea trout populations have crashed dramatically in recent years and previous research has shown that smolts are particularly vulnerable to predation by cormorants and goosanders. This dramatic decline in our stocks of salmon and sea trout requires urgent and priority action to protect these increasingly endangered fish. The rivers trust movement in Wales welcomes the opportunity to work with NRW and other stakeholders to determine the most effective ways to minimise this predation.”

Notes:

1. High-resolution versions of the images are available at https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/lnel62jg ... jpp5dng538

2. For more information contact Dylan Roberts, GWCT at droberts@gwct.org.uk , tel. 07968 586538

2. The Advisory Group is Chaired by Prof. Steve Ormerod with representation from Welsh Government, NRW, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, British Trust for Ornithology, Welsh Ornithological Society, Afonydd Cymru, Salmon and Trout Conservation Cymru (now WildFish Wales), Angling Trust, Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust, Natural England, NatureScot and two independent science advisors.

3. In total, the Advisory Group proposed 19 recommendations to support their following positions. These are summarised as:

• Wild fish populations are affected by numerous factors aside from predation, making inferences about the impact of one pressure on fish stocks extremely difficult;
• Available evidence indicates that fish-eating birds can negatively impact wild fish populations and stocked still water fisheries spatially and temporally, but the severity of those impacts are often unknown;
• Given the protracted decline in salmon and sea trout stocks there is a need for increased targeted actions to counter fish predation by fish-eating birds, particularly in catchments where fish stocks are vulnerable;
• Predation by fish-eating birds on salmonid smolts is of primary concern and requires particular efforts to mitigate predation pressure when impacts are greatest.
• A combination of non-lethal and lethal measures is likely to be most effective;
• Catchment or area-based licences could provide a more strategic approach to licensing and facilitate adaptive resource management where interventions can be applied more flexibly;
• Interactions between fish stocks and fish-eating birds are complex and large key evidence gaps persist;
• Greater transparency on the licensing of fish-eating birds is needed.

4. The options and 19 recommendations presented to the NRW Board Meeting can be viewed on pages 136 – 156 of the Public Board meeting papers: https://cdn.cyfoethnaturiol.cymru/media ... 7480000000

I only saw this recently. Apologies if it is old news.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Good news from Wales?

Post by Dave Horton »

First time I've seen it anywhere?

(Thanks greencard1 face)
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thanks Dave. I am sure some people looked at this because you had showed an interest.

This press release is part of a 215 page document. I think the whole thing could have been done in 2 sentences...

Question; Are cormorants feeding on salmon smolt on rivers in Wales?...Answer; 'Yes'.

Action to be taken: Shoot all cormorants feeding on salmon smolt on rivers in Wales.

In the Guardian yesterday there was a piece about coracle fishing dying out because of the lack of salmon and sea trout in Wales. The reasons for low fish numbers were given as...'Pollution, habitat loss, water quality, barriers to migration, and disease. The main reason given was 'climate breakdown, since salmon need cold water to trigger them to spawn.'

There was no mention of predation. The reporter had talked to a couple of coracle fishermen before writing the article, and I am pretty sure that they would have told him about predation from cormorants, mergansers and otters; but this did not get a mention.
Very disappointing from the Guardian.

It is easy to guess which comments were made by the RSPB at the end of the press release above, and which comments were probably made by the Angling Trust.
The RSPB seem to be overstepping their mission a lot recently. In last weekends Guardian there was an RSPB spokesperson commenting on farmers' subsidies. What the hell have farmers' subsidies got to do with the RSPB?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The RSPB seem to be overstepping their mission a lot recently.
They changed tack some time ago. "Our work is diverse and comes in many forms - from species recovery and large-scale conservation, to policy-influencing and inspiring change or action."
2023-09-03_102853.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

They got involved with the house building policy last week too.

If they seem interested in cleaning up the rivers, it is because the rivers contain bird food (i.e. fish).

There is not a chance that cormorants or mergansers will become extinct in Wales, or any other part of the UK, but the RSPB will fight to save all of them; even though they might mean the extinction of salmon.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

pollution for me is the biggest threat , cormorants are just a scapegoats in some cases, years back there was a lot of fisheries shooting them , but even thats stopped , as the general public didn't like it ....... and anglers included ......
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Natural Resources Wales is the Welsh equivalent to England's Natural England.

Is Wales generally more pro-active in trying to look after fish than England, or is it just because they have got more salmon?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

greencard1 wrote: Tue Sep 05 2023 05:29 -
Natural Resources Wales is the Welsh equivalent to England's Natural England.

Is Wales generally more pro-active in trying to look after fish than England, or is it just because they have got more salmon?
more than likely come to think of it .........

steve
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgl023ryzro

Nothing to do with cormorants. :clown:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

davelumb wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 10:29 -
They changed tack some time ago. "Our work is diverse and comes in many forms - from species recovery and large-scale conservation, to policy-influencing and inspiring change or action."

2023-09-03_102853.jpg

Sure are last I looked Beavers don't have wings but the RSPB are introducing them on areas where there was local opposition to it . But they just done it anyway. .
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

fergie68 wrote: Sat Oct 14 2023 09:44 -

2023-09-03_102853.jpg

Sure are last I looked Beavers don't have wings but the RSPB are introducing them on areas where there was local opposition to it . But they just done it anyway. .
I saw something recently about capercaillie in Scotland. It seems there are only a few hundred left, with foxes being their biggest predator.

Gamekeepers in the area support the idea of shooting foxes to save the capercaillie. The RSPB idea is to put dead deer in the area in the hope that the foxes will eat the deer instead of capercaillie.
I think the RSPB idea will mean the extinction of capercaillie.

In the Welsh rivers situation, every salmon smolt is considered 'precious'. In State of Nature terms, salmon are on the red list; cormorants and mergansers are on the green list...there are tens of thousands of them.
It seems obvious what to do....
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

My local wee river took a absolute hammering from Mergansers. They simply cleaned it out pool by pool then disappeared. It's took a few seasons butvthe trout are appearing in numbers again.
It was already on a thread here about the introduction of "problem" beavers from the Tay river to the Endrick system a part of which unfortunately runs through a RSPB nature reserve.
They couldn't give a f**k they simply ignored locals / farmers and the LLAIA concerns and done it anyway.
Straight away they fell foul of SEPA by felling trees with chainsaws into the river to give the Beavers a helping hand. They should have been prosecuted for that straight away but SEPA instead ordered them to remove the trees.
Then the local otters started eating their pet Beavers.
The Endrick trust have spent a decade improving habitat for the endangered salmon mostly by planting trees and this lot introduce beavers. You couldn't make it up.

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

2023-09-03_102853.jpg

The RSPB's handle on Twitter/X is @Natures_Voice Which gives a hint as to what they are about these days.

It really needs having its wings clipped. Always throwing its weight around. It took over a car park near one of its reserves which had been council run and was free. Now it's pay and display with a gate that is locked at night. It used to be well used by walkers, with and without dogs. Now it's usually empty. Probably suits RSPB as it will keep people and dogs off the saltmarsh which they have partially fenced and erected signs threatening dire consequences for anyone who goes beyond them.

They also put up signs telling people to keep out of an old sand winning plant in Spring because of nesting birds. I found a map on one of their sites the other day that clearly shows the old sand works is not part of the RSPB reserve nor is it included in the NNR boundary. f*****s.

If anyone gets the impression I'm not keen on RSPB they'd be bloody well right!
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Dave I seriously believe this was a cynical money making scheme and to hell with the consequences.
The introductions on the Tay system was a disaster but the Argyle Beavers proved a great money making enterprise so I'd assume they figured closer to Glasgow = more visitors and more money. 💰 🤑

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Sat Oct 14 2023 17:57 -
Dave I seriously believe this was a cynical money making scheme and to hell with the consequences.
The introductions on the Tay system was a disaster but the Argyle Beavers proved a great money making enterprise so I'd assume they figured closer to Glasgow = more visitors and more money. 💰 🤑
I wouldn't be at all surprised at that. They do like making money.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

greencard1 wrote: Sat Oct 14 2023 11:36 -

2023-09-03_102853.jpg

I saw something recently about capercaillie in Scotland. It seems there are only a few hundred left, with foxes being their biggest predator.

Gamekeepers in the area support the idea of shooting foxes to save the capercaillie. The RSPB idea is to put dead deer in the area in the hope that the foxes will eat the deer instead of capercaillie.
I think the RSPB idea will mean the extinction of capercaillie.

In the Welsh rivers situation, every salmon smolt is considered 'precious'. In State of Nature terms, salmon are on the red list; cormorants and mergansers are on the green list...there are tens of thousands of them.
It seems obvious what to do....
putting out food for foxes , will bring in more foxes from afar ......
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

There is supposed to be Capercaillie on a few of the islands on Lomond. Its one of the reasons they culled the feral goats and wanted to cull the wallabies. In fact there has been a few unpopular decisions made by the National Park and they Normally play the Capercaillie card. They even have a picture of one on their uniforms FFS.

FEROX 85 GROUP
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

I have heard that the RSPB have close links with United Utilities, one of the worst water polluters in the UK.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

"having its wings clipped" I see what you did there. :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

greencard1 wrote: Sat Oct 14 2023 18:46 -
"having its wings clipped" I see what you did there. :laughs:
:wink:
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Unfortunately the BTO seem to have changed their tune on cormorants recently too. Their website mentions 'continental' cormorants. It is as if they don't want people to make the link with sinensis freshwater Chinese cormorants any more...

In the BBC article above, the 'former BTO engagement officer' states that 'fish stocks have declined immensely since the eighties', but it has nothing to do with fish-eating birds.
What happened in the eighties? Oh yes...freshwater Chinese cormorants invaded the UK.

Well done to Gwilym Hughes for raising his petition. He mentions that kingfisher and heron are suffering because of fish-eating birds, but it is also grebe, dab chicks, otters, egrets, fish -eating fish, etc, etc.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

greencard1 wrote: Sun Oct 15 2023 05:48 -
Unfortunately the BTO seem to have changed their tune on cormorants recently too. Their website mentions 'continental' cormorants. It is as if they don't want people to make the link with sinensis freshwater Chinese cormorants any more...

In the BBC article above, the 'former BTO engagement officer' states that 'fish stocks have declined immensely since the eighties', but it has nothing to do with fish-eating birds.
What happened in the eighties? Oh yes...freshwater Chinese cormorants invaded the UK.

Well done to Gwilym Hughes for raising his petition. He mentions that kingfisher and heron are suffering because of fish-eating birds, but it is also grebe, dab chicks, otters, egrets, fish -eating fish, etc, etc.
I'm fishing more out of my home area, where I am we do not see the cormorants we have around my home area, talking to a few fishery managers, they along with the local landowners do not tolerate these birds, draw your own conclusions but there are methods to repel these threats, quietly!