I’d?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: I’d?

Post by Monts »

Barbel, some people kept them in ponds sold from garden centers and released them when they grew to big.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

It does look very much like a barbel but I can't help thinking the dorsal fin is just a little too far back.

Obviously tricky to tell with that angle though.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

suffolk si wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 16:41 -
Fairly confident it’s a barbel tbh
Not a chance I think Si sadly. 😉
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Luke wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 17:24 -
It does look very much like a barbel but I can't help thinking the dorsal fin is just a little too far back.

Obviously tricky to tell with that angle though.
The dorsal is completely wrong for a barbel Luke. 👍

This is becoming quite comical tbh. I won’t say where it was taken but it has more chance of being a unicorn than a barbel tbh.

Great to see that other people’s fish id skills are as questionable as mine though. 😀😀😀
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The angle is deceptive and the photo is appalling. I'm leaning away from barbel now to something else beginning with 'B'...

...Basking Shark. :joker:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

How about a Chub.
Would/could have same orange tinge to fin.
The fish is obviously turning away to avoid retina burn 🤣
The nose area anomaly could just be flotsam/debris/weed.

Plus they don’t mind living in the smallest of ditches even fish of size😉
Andy Carpenter
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Without the whiskers, the shape is like that of a Spurdog. The tail end looks super skinny.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 17:47 -
The angle is deceptive and the photo is appalling. I'm leaning away from barbel now to something else beginning with 'B'...

Appalling photo?

Of course Dave. There has to be some reason you made the same call as me! :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 18:07 -

Appalling photo?

Of course Dave. There has to be some reason you made the same call as me! :laughs:
It's one of those things that the more you look the more you doubt your original impression! I tried to judge the position of the dorsal fin relative to the belly fins but couldn't make my mind up. :laughs: Could be a bream, could be a barbel. We'll never know. Because even if a bream IS caught there could still be a barbel that's uncaught! :dizzy:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 18:11 -

If anybody else had told me I’d still be undecided, but I know the fella in question will be correct.

Unlike us reprobates this fella actually spends his life fishing, not arguing the toss about tosh on a ‘fishing’ forum. :laughs:

It’s a bream. That’s it. :thumbs:

Appalling photo?

It's one of those things that the more you look the more you doubt your original impression! I tried to judge the position of the dorsal fin relative to the belly fins but couldn't make my mind up. :laughs: Could be a bream, could be a barbel. We'll never know. Because even if a bream IS caught there could still be a barbel that's uncaught! :dizzy:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Appalling photo?

If anybody else had told me I’d still be undecided, but I know the fella in question will be correct.

Unlike us reprobates this fella actually spends his life fishing, not arguing the toss about tosh on a ‘fishing’ forum. :laughs:

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

+1
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 18:33 -

Appalling photo?

It would have been better if he'd not taken a photo. Would have saved a load of wasted time for us armchair anglers! :giggle:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 18:38 -

Appalling photo?

It would have been better if he'd not taken a photo. Would have saved a load of wasted time for us armchair anglers! :giggle:
Yep, I should have known better than to ask on here, but tbh it’s quite comical seeing people trying to justify their lack of knowledge. 😀
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Appalling photo?

BTW ‘He’ didn’t take the photo, it was a non fishing pal of mine that walks his dog along this stretch and knew that I’d be interested.

It’s made for some typical Pit nonsense though, so not entirely unfruitful. 😀
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 19:03 -

Appalling photo?

BTW ‘He’ didn’t take the photo, it was a non fishing pal of mine that walks his dog along this stretch and knew that I’d be interested.

It’s made for some typical Pit nonsense though, so not entirely unfruitful. 😀
:thumbs:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 17:37 -
Shame Chris, I’d say bream then👍
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

suffolk si wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 21:02 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 17:37 -
Shame Chris, I’d say bream then👍
I’m pretty confident Si.

On the plus side it might provide an overlooked stretch where a big pike might be living. 🙂
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

If I was to hazard a guess and was betting my house I’d say 100% barbel
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
Matt808
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Matt808 »

Looks a lot like a barbel at first looking at it longer maybe a chub. I’d struggle saying bream over chub? Blanked first time this season last night any of them would have done!
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Barbel
Mmmmmmmm yes
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

No its still a bream! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.