Bowlergate!!!!

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Re: Bowlergate!!!!

Post by fenland piker »

Its also worth mentioning the number of celebrity anglers who have magic weigh scales. A colleague was fishing with a well known sponsored fisherman who wrote for the Angling Times. Said fisherman caught a half decent dace (10oz) and casually commented that it would have been an article about a pound plus fish if he had been fishing on his own.
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

Not sure how this ended but apparently MB got off the hook.
I’m not into comics but I tend to buy the Christmas edition of “Angling Times” out of curiousity and for a summary of annual events. MB’s 4 page spread was essentially an extended advert for his new media venture, with some pics of Norwegian cod to draw us in. How times have changed. I still recall Andy Little’s weekly features in “Angler’s Mail” - they were genuinely informative.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

did he re hook them cod though.........
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

More about self promotion and product placement ..rarely buy a fishing mag nowadays
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 09:34 -
More about self promotion and product placement ..rarely buy a fishing mag nowadays
100%
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

agreed, catch cult about the only thing worth buying in print these days
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Dave R wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 23:13 -
I’m not into comics but I tend to buy the Christmas edition of “Angling Times” out of curiousity and for a summary of annual events. MB’s 4 page spread was essentially an extended advert for his new media venture, with some pics of Norwegian cod to draw us in. How times have changed. I still recall Andy Little’s weekly features in “Angler’s Mail” - they were genuinely informative.
but not all genuine captures :wink:
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

Nige Johns wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 09:47 -
100%
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Spot on. Stopped buying angling rags years ago. Mostly filled with nothing but bullshit and bloated mud pigs now anyway.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Angling magazines have steadily got worse over the years. Nothing but biased reviews and the same articles regurgitated every week. Use to quite like anglers mail but that seemed to have gone the same way before they disappeared.

Jack
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

When I stopped buying them they all had 'Free Tackle Guide included' on the front, all that meant was a tackle companies catalogue was inside :roll:
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

I stopped buying angling mags when the great David Hall past away...
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

charleston16 wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 08:16 -
David Hall and ‘great’ in one sentence- that’s a first….
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Dave R wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 23:13 -
Yeah, but he might be rehooked wearing a different hat and jumper
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

squimp wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 11:44 -
I take it you were not a fan then ?
Ray Brown.
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

charleston16 wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 12:56 -
Some of his magazines were excellent and so were some of his videos.

But certain of his financial dealings were questionable to say the least.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

squimp wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 13:17 -
charleston16 wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 12:56 -
Some of his magazines were excellent and so were some of his videos.

But certain of his financial dealings were questionable to say the least.
You obviously knew him quite well, to me he came across as a gent, always had time fot you and always have a chat.

Always enjoyed his mags, I still have 2 box full under the stairs that date back to 1970.. :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
Snapper
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Snapper »

Even the AT has become a 3 minute bog tome now that it doesn't have the competition of the Angler's Mail.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

This whole sorry saga says as much about other peoples natures as it does about MB himself? The apparent pleasure some get out of the initial disclosure and the need others feel to share it further and the drivers behind making the video in the first place and then the decision to share publicly paint unpleasant pictures of their own? Now, I'm no saint and I'm as flawed as the next man and more so than some but I do kinda live by the "Do unto others ...." mind set and when I myself video'd a very well known Piker, (VERY close to home) realise he'd left his forceps in his truck, carry a Pike by the chin, over the high bank into the car park, perhaps 50 yards to his vehicle and retrieve them before carrying the Pike back by the chin and unhooking and returning the Pike seemingly no worse for wear? I was at the time on the opposite side of the venue so couldn't assist but I clocked what was going on and decided to video it. Now, this particular fella had been VERY instrumental in the character assassination of another fairly well known Piker (it's his MO) who had carried a Pike 50 odd yards into a car park at some venue and photo'd it there as I recall? Firstly I had to ask myself quite why I decided to video it (we don't like each other very much and he seemingly grabs every opportunity to dig me out) and I take exception to hypocrites! Secondly, I had to ask myself what I'd have done (I'd have put it back in the net or if hooks were exposed I'd have put it back in the margin and tethered it to a rod rest or the like I think)? Finally I had to ask myself if I'd like myself quite so much if I'd shared the video publicly? What I chose to do was delete it and until now I've only ever told 1 person about it too. He'll read this and he'll recall the episode too and I hope it gives him cause to reflect though I doubt it very much?

(Glass houses and stones face)
Bob Barker
Perch
Perch

Post by Bob Barker »

Dave Horton wrote: Thu Jan 25 2024 12:22 -
This whole sorry saga says as much about other peoples natures as it does about MB himself? The apparent pleasure some get out of the initial disclosure and the need others feel to share it further and the drivers behind making the video in the first place and then the decision to share publicly paint unpleasant pictures of their own? Now, I'm no saint and I'm as flawed as the next man and more so than some but I do kinda live by the "Do unto others ...." mind set and when I myself video'd a very well known Piker, (VERY close to home) realise he'd left his forceps in his truck, carry a Pike by the chin, over the high bank into the car park, perhaps 50 yards to his vehicle and retrieve them before carrying the Pike back by the chin and unhooking and returning the Pike seemingly no worse for wear? I was at the time on the opposite side of the venue so couldn't assist but I clocked what was going on and decided to video it. Now, this particular fella had been VERY instrumental in the character assassination of another fairly well known Piker (it's his MO) who had carried a Pike 50 odd yards into a car park at some venue and photo'd it there as I recall? Firstly I had to ask myself quite why I decided to video it (we don't like each other very much and he seemingly grabs every opportunity to dig me out) and I take exception to hypocrites! Secondly, I had to ask myself what I'd have done (I'd have put it back in the net or if hooks were exposed I'd have put it back in the margin and tethered it to a rod rest or the like I think)? Finally I had to ask myself if I'd like myself quite so much if I'd shared the video publicly? What I chose to do was delete it and until now I've only ever told 1 person about it too. He'll read this and he'll recall the episode too and I hope it gives him cause to reflect though I doubt it very much?

Was there any access to the water closer to the place of unhooking were the fish could have been returned sooner?
(But was not/or was) :scratch:
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Snapper wrote: Thu Jan 25 2024 04:47 -
Even the AT has become a 3 minute bog tome now that it doesn't have the competition of the Angler's Mail.
AM was always the better of the two IMO.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Bob Barker wrote: Thu Jan 25 2024 15:52 -

Was there any access to the water closer to the place of unhooking were the fish could have been returned sooner?
(But was not/or was) :scratch:
Nope Bob and to be honest I never felt the fella taking the picture of a Pike 50 yards from the water was the end of the world either!

(If you get my drift face)
ROBBO90
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ROBBO90 »

Just seen a Nash YouTube vid with Bowler fishing for carp in the depths of winter. the vid is titled Martin Bowler Winter float fishing for carp. He's all togged up in his winter clothing trying to haul out unfished for carp. Unfortunately someone in the film crew forgot to check the landscape they were in. There is NOT one leaf missing from any of the trees. It looks like the middle of summer. He must be a real southern softy, cus up't north we are still fishing in shorts and tee shirts and it's nearly Feb. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
mike anderson
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by mike anderson »

Sounds like a right Wally ?
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

ROBBO90 wrote: Thu Jan 25 2024 20:29 -
Just seen a Nash YouTube vid with Bowler fishing for carp in the depths of winter. the vid is titled Martin Bowler Winter float fishing for carp. He's all togged up in his winter clothing trying to haul out unfished for carp. Unfortunately someone in the film crew forgot to check the landscape they were in. There is NOT one leaf missing from any of the trees. It looks like the middle of summer. He must be a real southern softy, cus up't north we are still fishing in shorts and tee shirts and it's nearly Feb. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
noticed that on peoples pike photos , there out there in summer not autumn or winter .....thick as f**k some people
certain plants flowering and trees are a dead giveaway.........why tell porky's in the first place about the time of the year .....
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

There's those that make a living from angling and those that have it as their hobby. There's bullshiters and cheats in both camps. I don't tend to feel cheated by the hobby bullshiters - just fantasists or attention seekers with an odd sense of self esteem. I feel cheated by the professional anglers/tackle promoting bullshiters, but don't lose any sleep over it. I understand the need to earn a salary, and that it will put them in situations that might compromise their honesty. We've all told a porky at work before I'm guessing. It must be a nightmare to be a face.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Feb 04 2024 21:12 -
There's those that make a living from angling and those that have it as their hobby. There's bullshiters and cheats in both camps. I don't tend to feel cheated by the hobby bullshiters - just fantasists or attention seekers with an odd sense of self esteem. I feel cheated by the professional anglers/tackle promoting bullshiters, but don't lose any sleep over it. I understand the need to earn a salary, and that it will put them in situations that might compromise their honesty. We've all told a porky at work before I'm guessing. It must be a nightmare to be a face.
Exactly Andrew!

(I liken them to used car salesmen face)
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

mike anderson wrote: Sun Feb 04 2024 15:30 -

Sounds like a right Wally ?
Does.

(Doesn't it face)
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

Just taken a look at that. Seems like the leaves are just starting to turn so late September maybe? One of the very best times to catch carp in my experience.

I guess the reasoning is they film these things early in order to give them time to edit and release the film at a more appropriate time? That particular video is very weird though.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Luke wrote: Mon Feb 05 2024 16:29 -
Just taken a look at that. Seems like the leaves are just starting to turn so late September maybe? One of the very best times to catch carp in my experience.

I guess the reasoning is they film these things early in order to give them time to edit and release the film at a more appropriate time? That particular video is very weird though.
I like the bit where he says ‘ the owner tells me there’s some carp in here’ - making it sound a mysterious place when in reality it’s a £100 a 24hr carp lake!