First fly rod

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
tomgrim
Roach
Roach

First fly rod

Post by tomgrim »

I do a fair bit of spinning for trout now but I'm looking at getting into fly fishing this year just something new to learn. It's only a small river where I tend to fish so could do with a shortish rod. Went to my local fly shop and they recommended a Vision EKA 7'6" 3wt I think this was the cheapest rod they did for around £100. Can't find many reviews of this rod. I know I'm probably better going second hand but I'm not too sure what makes or models are any good?

Thanks
paintman
Perch
Perch

Re: First fly rod

Post by paintman »

Seen this one?
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

In my experience first work out what type of rod/ length you need and how far you'll need to cast. A 7'6'' rated #3 is good for smaller waters but you may struggle in the wind - if making short casts may need to overtime it with a #4 to load thr rod. I'd strongly recommend you try before you buy and try a couple of different rods. you can - to get the feel for the rod - if you've never used a fly rod get some casting lessons- will help loads. Y
BillyTwoFish
Chub
Chub

Post by BillyTwoFish »

You'll never look back, this fly fishing lark is very addictive. Worth looking at nymphing as well as fly fishing. You can 'Euro Nymph' with a quiver tip rod if you've got one in your coarse fishing kit rather than fork out fly rods. I got my first river rod of ebay, a 7'6" 4WT Wychwood outfit that cost me about £40. Still does the job for the number of times I use it.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"