Catching perch/roach/bream/tench with heavy pike gear?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
SittingBull
Roach
Roach

Catching perch/roach/bream/tench with heavy pike gear?

Post by SittingBull »

Sorry if this is like sucking eggs to some of you, but my nephew is wanting to give perch/roach/tench/bream a go on his pike rod, reel, braid and bank sticks, basically all his pike gear except he is planning to buy a feeder cage, bait and small single hooks etc; his rig plan looks fine. Will he be alright with this heavier set up rod and braid though? I have my own lighter gear for the rare times I target those species (I live away) but would he be fine do you think on a 3.25lb test curve rod with 60lb braid? He's barely 20 years old but is reasonable and gentle with fish and is asking now ahead of the end of his pike season in a couple of weeks.
Thanks everyone.
Sean
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Catching perch/roach/bream/tench with heavy pike gear?

Post by John Milford »

It would work at a pinch, but it won't be even remotely enjoyable. Like playing table tennis with a frying pan.

Bite indication with such high diameter line and the necessarily light bobbins needed for roach and perch might also be an issue.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

With light set ups being so cheap nowadays I suggest you dont entertain the idea.
Catching fish such as roach on that heavy gear will be a right let down and not enjoyable at all!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Johnnylonewolf
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Johnnylonewolf »

Barely 20 years old? You mean he's a grown man then.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

hawking them in on heavy gear like that wont do small fish like roach any good at all ......in fact it could kill them .....
a guy on my roach water fishing for carp on heavy gear caught a big roach at range , it took an 18mm boily .......he landed it but it went belly later and pegged it.... shame as it was over 2lb ........
better on a light feeder rod or a light specimen rod pound and a half test covers most , smaller species and will handle much bigger fish if you dont mess about .

this is my go too set up for roach and perch

20240205_132913.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

My pb roach came on a self hooking rig,18lb and 3.25 test rod whilst carp fishing it was a horrible way to catch it tbh! Genuinely didn’t even know if there was a fish on untill I got it a few yards from the bank! Not enjoyable at all
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

As said, you’d be far better off with specifically designed gear. I’ve tried spinning rods in the past as a feeder rod in a pinch, but found it far from ideal. The finesse just isn’t there when it comes to shy biting silvers. A good option is the Korum allrounder. Currently on Angling direct for £35. Cracking rod which I use for all smaller species and low double carp.

Jack
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

There's absolutely loads of gear available for that sort of fishing, it should be easy to get a perfectly useable set up for reasonable money.
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Jack H wrote: Mon Feb 12 2024 22:48 -
As said, you’d be far better off with specifically designed gear. I’ve tried spinning rods in the past as a feeder rod in a pinch, but found it far from ideal. The finesse just isn’t there when it comes to shy biting silvers. A good option is the Korum allrounder. Currently on Angling direct for £35. Cracking rod which I use for all smaller species and low double carp.

Jack
A few good years ago I treated myself to a Drennan spinflex 9ft rod with the intension of using it for roving for barbel at night, so the 1st ting I did was change the tip eye for a screw in so as to take a quiver tip. All these years later the rod is a delight to use for other species such as perch, chub and bream and has power in reserve. Thers is however a vast difference between my little Drennan with 6lb mono and what Sitting Bull is suggesting.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
SittingBull
Roach
Roach

Post by SittingBull »

Thanks. I'm going to send him the Korum all rounder rod as a recomendation. Any reel recomendations?
Sean
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

SittingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12 2024 23:56 -
Thanks. I'm going to send him the Korum all rounder rod as a recomendation. Any reel recomendations?
If he has a local branch of Angling Direct it would be worth a visit.
Plenty to choose from & some very heavily discounted.
Some already loaded with mono.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Feb 12 2024 23:41 -

Jack

A few good years ago I treated myself to a Drennan spinflex 9ft rod with the intension of using it for roving for barbel at night, so the 1st ting I did was change the tip eye for a screw in so as to take a quiver tip. All these years later the rod is a delight to use for other species such as perch, chub and bream and has power in reserve. Thers is however a vast difference between my little Drennan with 6lb mono and what Sitting Bull is suggesting.

Cheers, Alan
Brilliant rods those drennans . I think I’ve got one of the newer models and it’s been excellent for the money. I’ve done similar and used a short quiver tipping rod for small lures. I’ve got a couple of dropshot rods with really fine tips that look perfect for close range silver fishing. It all comes down to how balanced the setup is i suppose.

Jack
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Jack H wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 16:02 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Feb 12 2024 23:41 -

Jack

Cheers, Alan
Brilliant rods those drennans . I think I’ve got one of the newer models and it’s been excellent for the money. I’ve done similar and used a short quiver tipping rod for small lures. I’ve got a couple of dropshot rods with really fine tips that look perfect for close range silver fishing. It all comes down to how balanced the setup is i suppose.

Jack
:thumbs:

Cheers, Alan
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Jack
i bought the korum all rounder , with the 2 tips ,what a lovely rod it is to fish with , also good for light lure fishing ......think its the 8 ft version
well recommended....

steve
Mologan
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mologan »

SittingBull wrote: Mon Feb 12 2024 23:56 -
I have one of these rods and its great - really nice rod to use. Korum recommended a 4000 Zelos reel to pair with it while my local tackleshop suggested a ProLogic BF 5000. To me there isn't a lot of difference in the feel of either reel paired with it. I've also got a Allrounder Quiver feeder rod which is very very nice too.

If you're going to buy a set up, have a look at these: https://www.cadencefishing.co.uk/produc ... tch-combo/ & https://www.cadencefishing.co.uk/produc ... der-combo/ - with the buy 1, get 1 free offer you can double up and get one feeder rod and one float rod which is a bargain IMO. The Discount is applied at checkout.

They're gear is good and gets good reviews when looking through various forums. The reels sell for £60 alone, but you dont get a spare spool with the combo. I've picked up a pair (float and feeder) which arrived on Monday and am impressed considering it was 4 rods and reels for £80.

HTH
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 21:45 -

Jack
i bought the korum all rounder , with the 2 tips ,what a lovely rod it is to fish with , also good for light lure fishing ......think its the 8 ft version
well recommended....

steve
:thumbs: along with there power float, probably my most used rod for general coarse fishing.

Jack
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Jack H wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 18:16 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 21:45 -

Jack
well recommended....

steve
:thumbs: along with there power float, probably my most used rod for general coarse fishing.

Jack
they just feel right , well balanced and not sloppy will handle good fish too .....cant fault em.....
SittingBull
Roach
Roach

Post by SittingBull »

Thank you everyone. You've been super helpful and the recomendations are even getting me tempted to try the feeder fishing. He rang earlier to say he has gone for the Korum quiver all rounder at £35 which I think is sensible as he is very much going to be new to feeder fishing.

He's planning to do this when the piking ends in the next few weeks but if he were to receive the rod sooner and he were to deadbait pike and feeder fish for roach/perch at same time he has asked would he need to spread rods out far or would it be advantageous to fish both rods/baits close together and use the fish attracted to the feeder to bring in the pike? What does everyone think? Anyone have any experiences? Apologies for my ignorance but feeder fishing is not my beat. Thanks.
Sean
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

when river fishing for roach and the likes , i always nearly in winter , i fish a pike rod behind or to one side of the feeder , as the feeder will attract silvers and also pike will come for a look........or substitute your lead on your pike rod .....for a ground bait and maggot feeder to attract silvers ...
Mologan
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mologan »

Personally, I tend not to fish for different species and methods (deadbaiting for pike & feeder for bream) at the same time.

When I have, I always tended to keep things spread out e.g two rods, one at 10 oclock and one at 2 oclock in my swim as I was worried a run on the pike rod could get tangled in the other rod and cause me and the fish problems. There may be easier way to do it tho
Garyjstockton
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Garyjstockton »

Have had some lovely days fishing for pike with a deadbait and a feeder rod for silvers, alarms and bobbins on both rods,especially good size roach bream hybrids look good fight hard, imagine catching a 20lb pike and a 2lb roach same day.