Who inspired you the most?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Who inspired you the most?

Post by Mike F »

For me Ivan Marks was a truly inspirational angler, who's record as a match angler was truly spectacular, and who's every word i read and re-read and digested, and who was by all accounts a really great guy, offering advive on the banks while he fished and won many matches. Ian Heaps came a close second, another truly brilliant angler. My piking heros were Dave Plumber, John Watson, Martyn Page and Vic Bellars, whos books a still love reading. Rod Hutchinson, when he owned Catchum products, was my ultimate angling hero, who, although already a cult figure in the carp world, was always down to earth to always responded to my letters to offer help and advice when i started carp fishing back in the early 80's. My entire angling life was moulded by these truly inspirational anglers. Who inspired you the most when you took up angling?
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Who inspired you the most?

Post by suffolk si »

My dad and John Wilson πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bernard Venables (Mr Crabtree) to begin with.

Then Gord Burton fired me up and Barrie Rickards calmed me down again - and Neville was always there in his inimitable way.

I was also very lucky to meet and befriend Chris Leibbrandt as soon as I joined the PAC in the early eighties. Chris was probably the most significant early influence on me when I first started piking (God help me! :laughs: ).

I consider myself extremely lucky to have been part of the 'coming of age' of pike fishing, regularly fishing with the likes of Chris, Steve 'Spike' Gould, my twin brother Rob (of course) and Graham Easton.

I was also fortunate to rub shoulders, on occasion, with an extremely youthful Dave Horton, Charlie Bettell, some hairy bloke from Tarleton :lumby: and his mates James Holgate and Geoff Parkinson. Everyone seemed to bounce off each other with mutual inspiration and just make it all up as we went along.

Exciting times, the likes of which I doubt we will ever see again, as now it all seems very 'mainstream'. Not a bad thing.
Last edited by John Milford on Sat Mar 30 2024 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Mine would probably be Mick Brown. I always use to enjoy watching the great rod race, record breaking fish, wet nets repeats. I find that he comes across very well, and catches some cracking fish as well. I also find that Terry Hearn, whether it’s reading one of his books or watching one of his YouTube story’s, just makes me want to go fishing. His enthusiasm and drive is infectious. He’s a very good story teller, he could read the yellow pages and make it interesting.

Jack
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

One of my earliest angling memories was Chris Yates catching his 50lb Carp back in the day. He certainly inspired me back when I was a nipper and although I don't Carp fish, I still really enjoy his books.

When I got into Zandering, Nev was the man. Lovely to see a nice tribute to him by Keith Arthur in last weeks AT. :cool: :thumbs:

Someone nailed it earlier, but whenever I see Terry Hearn on YouTube I want to go fishing!!!
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

My cousin
Now deceased. And if there is water in Hell, he will be sat at the side of it fishing
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

Neville fickling
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

No on a serious note angling inspiration for me has a few and yes Nev is one but don’t tell him it might go to his head
The reason Nev is one is his constant catch of big fish his relentless effort in chasing said fish over countless years and his efforts he puts in to teaching others books for beginners books for more advanced his knowledge he passes on his commitment to the likes of the angling trust ect and before anyone say he does all this and she does that it’s my opinion
Chris Yates is another to me the man is a legend his style in which he fishes the fish he caught the bishop was so before it’s time it’s unbelievable his writing style is second to none
John Wilson was watched every week channel 4 he brought fishing to the masses and could catch from a muddy puddle one of my mates always laughs and says I remember you when you was a kid walking around the lake with a dog biscuit super glued on the hook like John Wilson yes I got it from him and my mate is 15 yrs older than me and he also watched the same program
Pete holehouse that man can carp but doesn’t really boast fished for England managed England all whilst running a plumbing firm taught me a bit
So I think my emphasis is on anglers who are great but also willing to teach others to better themselves in the art of angling and also help shape this wonderful sport of ours
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Tony Miles is way up there for me for his inspiration on thinking way outside the box!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mike F wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30 2024 16:27 -
For me Ivan Marks was a truly inspirational angler, who's record as a match angler was truly spectacular, and who's every word i read and re-read and digested, and who was by all accounts a really great guy, offering advive on the banks while he fished and won many matches. Ian Heaps came a close second, another truly brilliant angler. My piking heros were Dave Plumber, John Watson, Martyn Page and Vic Bellars, whos books a still love reading. Rod Hutchinson, when he owned Catchum products, was my ultimate angling hero, who, although already a cult figure in the carp world, was always down to earth to always responded to my letters to offer help and advice when i started carp fishing back in the early 80's. My entire angling life was moulded by these truly inspirational anglers. Who inspired you the most when you took up angling?
I took this picture when out for a walk after work last summer. It's just down the road from our property in Lincolnshire.

Inspiration? When I was younger, Kevin Maddocks. I was obsessed with carp fishing for some time.
Piking Plonker
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Fri Apr 12 2024 20:28 -
I took this picture when out for a walk after work last summer. It's just down the road from our property in Lincolnshire.

Inspiration? When I was younger, Kevin Maddocks. I was obsessed with carp fishing for some time.
I’ve seen that- lovely epitaph!
Peter Newman
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

peteren wrote: ↑Fri Apr 12 2024 22:34 -

Exactly where is it? I reckon I've driven past it looking for it.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

My first angling book was by Peter Stone, but to be honest his writings did not inspire me much. Jim Gibbinson on carp did and so did Ray and Barrie not long after, and a piker was created. Subsequent authors have been good, but never inspirational in the same way...
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 08:12 -

Regards

Martin
River Welland. Sadly, no one seems to look after it, so no surprise you might have missed it. I had to clear all the weeds from it to get that picture.

Piking Plonker
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 13:36 -

Regards

Martin
River Welland. Sadly, no one seems to look after it, so no surprise you might have missed it. I had to clear all the weeds from it to get that picture.

Well I'm glad I was in the right area but how far from Fen bridge/ The bridge inn pub is it?

Regards

Martin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 16:31 -

Regards

Martin

Well I'm glad I was in the right area but how far from Fen bridge/ The bridge inn pub is it?

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6797306 ... ?entry=ttu
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 16:38 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

I did try Google but come up with nothing.

I went to have a look early this year and must have been no more than 20 ft away from it then :laughs:
Cheers Dave :thumbs:

Regards

Martin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 16:46 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

I went to have a look early this year and must have been no more than 20 ft away from it then :laughs:

Regards

Martin
:laughs: You can go back now!
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 16:55 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

Regards

Martin
I took a photo of the Angling club signage on the opposite side from there too. Used to fish there many moons back and planning a return next season.

Regards

Martin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 17:04 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

Regards

Martin
I took a photo of the Angling club signage on the opposite side from there too. Used to fish there many moons back and planning a return next season.

Regards

Martin
:thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Not having another angler in my family the old TV program "Hooked" on BBC 2 used to keep me going, struggling to catch anything on our local cut, looking at the likes of Clegg, Barlow, Marks, and Peacher who made it look so easy. My old man loathed that program with a passion.

Author wise Yates, BB, Stone, Gierach. Boring as this may seem I think you are born an angler and if it's in you it's in you and you either love it or fall away and find other pastimes.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

will always say it. Poach. took me under his wing all them years ago when I took an interest in angling as a way of helping with depression, it wasn't the angling it was poach that helped :sad:

I still haven't been motivated since he died. been out here and there but its not the same.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Andrew wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 17:32 -
will always say it. Poach. took me under his wing all them years ago when I took an interest in angling as a way of helping with depression, it wasn't the angling it was poach that helped :sad:

I still haven't been motivated since he died. been out here and there but its not the same.
Perhaps you owe it to him to go mate?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Don't get your hopes up, the water level was dropped to stupid levels for several months earlier this year and the inevitable fish loss is a bit of unknown. Not with standing the impact of EEs in that area, it's been a long time since it was worth fishing, which sadly applies to a lot of waters in the fens right now. I took a few pictures along the town stretch... usually stuffed with roach in winter, totally baron :sad:

Piking Plonker
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 17:42 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
Don't get your hopes up, the water level was dropped to stupid levels for several months earlier this year and the inevitable fish loss is a bit of unknown. Not with standing the impact of EEs in that area, it's been a long time since it was worth fishing, which sadly applies to a lot of waters in the fens right now. I took a few pictures along the town stretch... usually stuffed with roach in winter, totally baron :sad:

That's put me off a bit but thanks for the info none the less :thumbs:
I've never that stretch just the wide Welland as we call it around Crowland, having said that the club controlling the Crowland stretch has stretches of water on another river closer to home so potentially wouldn't be a total loss.

Regards

Martin
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Monts wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 17:32 -
I think you are born an angler and if it's in you it's in you and you either love it or fall away and find other pastimes.
I think your right there. Ive no idea where i got it from as none of my immediate family had the slightest bit of interest in angling. My grandfather must have had a dabble when he was young as i found some old lures in his garage when we cleared it out. Before he died he brought me my first rod and reel and i fished on the river Lark which one of his relatives owned a farm and land which backed onto it. I remember seeing a shoal of around 8 massive perch hunting in a shallow eddy and was fascinated from then on. Strange how you can remember sights, smells, memories etc, as i can still remember the smell of the tobacco tin he kept his bits in when i found it. But yes, my passion for angling was of my own making and i soaked up everything fishing related by myself. I sometimes wish i could go back to those days and relive them, as fishing now is very different and our rivers are shadows of their former selves.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mike F wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14 2024 11:23 -
I think you are born an angler and if it's in you it's in you and you either love it or fall away and find other pastimes.
I think your right there. Ive no idea where i got it from as none of my immediate family had the slightest bit of interest in angling. My grandfather must have had a dabble when he was young as i found some old lures in his garage when we cleared it out. Before he died he brought me my first rod and reel and i fished on the river Lark which one of his relatives owned a farm and land which backed onto it. I remember seeing a shoal of around 8 massive perch hunting in a shallow eddy and was fascinated from then on. Strange how you can remember sights, smells, memories etc, as i can still remember the smell of the tobacco tin he kept his bits in when i found it. But yes, my passion for angling was of my own making and i soaked up everything fishing related by myself. I sometimes wish i could go back to those days and relive them, as fishing now is very different and our rivers are shadows of their former selves.
And I expect like most people on here you can't walk over a bridge without peering over the side. Fishing is different now but almost everything is. It's still a great pastime to have, I loved my day on the river yesterday.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Monts wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14 2024 13:46 -
And I expect like most people on here you can't walk over a bridge without peering over the side. Fishing is different now but almost everything is. It's still a great pastime to have, I loved my day on the river yesterday.
Aye and who hasn't lain the bath end emulated a fish flank with ya hand movements to try determine how big?

(The thing that made the swirl was face)
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Andrew wrote: ↑Sat Apr 13 2024 17:32 -

Aye he was 1 of a kind old Poach but so are you Andrew!

(And I'm sure he'd prefer you wet a line face)
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Monts wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14 2024 13:46 -
Definitely. It's like being a moth attracted to a lightbulb, you just can't resist!