LED Video Light

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

LED Video Light

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Pretty sure it was on the forum that I heard about the use of LED video lights for night shots, ended up buying one of these to supplement my rather small flash on my Sony Nex.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I must say it makes night shots dead easy and makes a massive difference to the results I am getting. I tend to use the camera on P setting and just worry about composition, perhaps the odd shift on the exposure.

Both the following photos were taken in conditions that required headlight to set up the camera.

This would have been a very good night shot before the lamp.
carp 1.jpg
Now I am getting shots like this
Carp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: LED Video Light

Post by davelumb »

For just one LED light that's good, the lighting is more even than with the flash and it has probably helped the focusing too. The LED I tried was poo. I might get one of those. Godox have a good reputation for lighting equipment at low prices.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

The difference is night and day :giggle:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Someone's turning into a right little carper :rasp:

That does look better, I find the flash when taking photos on the boat is pants,

Thanks for the review :thumbs:
Nice carp as well
Andy Carpenter
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Oct 02 2017 20:03 -
Someone's turning into a right little carper :rasp:

That does look better, I find the flash when taking photos on the boat is pants,

Thanks for the review :thumbs:
Nice carp as well
Its been a carp Summer, once the first time in years I actually found a water that makes me want to fish for them. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

On my fuji it has a setting called slow-syncro that gives a similiar s**t as the led shot. Flash goes twice and evens out the foreground and background.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Oct 02 2017 20:09 -
On my fuji it has a setting called slow-syncro that gives a similiar s**t as the led shot. Flash goes twice and evens out the foreground and background.
Slow-Sync on the Sony doesn't give me very good results.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Mon Oct 02 2017 20:12 -
Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Oct 02 2017 20:09 -
Slow-Sync on the Sony doesn't give me very good results.
Aye they all do it a bit different. The smile shutter on fuji is crap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

oops :laughs:

Cheers ALan
Last edited by cookiesdaughtersdad on Fri Oct 06 2017 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Duncan Holmes wrote: Mon Oct 02 2017 19:14 -
Pretty sure it was on the forum that I heard about the use of LED video lights for night shots, ended up buying one of these to supplement my rather small flash on my Sony Nex.

I must say it makes night shots dead easy and makes a massive difference to the results I am getting. I tend to use the camera on P setting and just worry about composition, perhaps the odd shift on the exposure.

Both the following photos were taken in conditions that required headlight to set up the camera.

carp 1.jpg

Carp.jpg
Interested in this Duncan, how do they work?
Nice photo of a nice fish!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 12:22 -

carp 1.jpg

Carp.jpg

Cheers Alan
I just turn the lamp on and set it on the floor a few feet to the side of the camera, force the flash in P mode on the camera.

Also gives you some light to see what you are doing with the fish, with out having a headlight on.

Dead easy. :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It's a pity the ISO isn't in the EXIF data.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 12:33 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 12:22 -

carp 1.jpg

Carp.jpg

Cheers Alan
I just turn the lamp on and set it on the floor a few feet to the side of the camera, force the flash in P mode on the camera.

Also gives you some light to see what you are doing with the fish, with out having a headlight on.

Dead easy. :thumbs:
Cheers I shall try one, most of my fishing is at night, had a nice mirror last night, typical poor night photos so this may make me use the camera more often!

Cheers Alan
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

davelumb wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 12:36 -
The first shot ISO1600, 3.5, 1/60, with the lens set at 35mm equivalent 27mm

The 2nd shot ISO1600, 4, 1/60 with the lens set a equivalent length of 43mm,

I have a crappy package lens, 35mm prime is on my list, going to have to bite the bullet at some point and buy a brand new one.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 17:26 -

I have a crappy package lens, 35mm prime is on my list, going to have to bite the bullet at some point and buy a brand new one.
Ta. But therein lies the rub for anyone using a small sensor, or older, camera. ISO 1600 might be a bit noisy. And IMO 1/60th is a bit slow, I prefer at least 1/100th to stop motion.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

davelumb wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 17:56 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 17:26 -

Ta. But therein lies the rub for anyone using a small sensor, or older, camera. ISO 1600 might be a bit noisy. And IMO 1/60th is a bit slow, I prefer at least 1/100th to stop motion.
Its a trade for me, size of camera against image. My Nex, flash, LED light, batteries, remote and bankstick adapter all fit in a standard size accessory pouch, in the side pocket of my bag or rucksack.

A faster lens would be nice though. :thumbs: