New mono

cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

New mono

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I had the reason to buy a new mono line with abrasion resistance being top of the list living where I do and fishing from the garden.
In a local tackle shop a chap said he had heard good thing about Korda's "Subline"
As I was on the hurry up I didnt have time to ask on here so picked up a spool of 20lb in green, £19.99 for 1000 meters.
Comes in a nice little tin can with instructions :laughs: and technical info.
Off the spool there is very little memory and loaded very well.
The line has a nice stiffness/limpness to it unlike some floros nowadays and it sinks like its name would suggest and is 0.43 mm.
What I also likes is how it nots, Tied double grinner for joining the line to the backing, and a palomar knot to the leader, all knots bedded down a treat with no coiling where the knot
Slides etc.
The 1st session on it went well, casts well and landed me a hard fighting 23lb mirror yesterday which was a nice birthday treat:thumbs: that I really had to bully from some snags.
As for the abrasions resistance, only time will tell but Korda claim its the dogs danglies....well they would!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: New mono

Post by Nige Johns »

0.43mm Alan, :afraid: is it because of snags or are you planning catching Great whites on it :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Nige Johns wrote: Fri Oct 06 2017 15:06 -
0.43mm Alan, :afraid: is it because of snags or are you planning catching Great whites on it :laughs:
Whites would be nice Nige and I really will need a bigger boat :laughs:
A very popular main is power pro in 0.41 so I I'm hardly going mad with an extra 0.02 mm :wink:
Our lodge sits on steel piles as do the immediate neighbors and they are quite rough at the water line, there are also lots of boats and a snaggy island which adds up to why I wanted a very strong line hence the 20lb and the 0.43 and one that has good abrasion resistance.
I dont mind the thickness at all because I will only be putting a braided carp leader or a wire trace on the other end any how, hardly delicate stuff and this is a good sinking line and so can hug the bottom.

Most of my fishing is short range stuff but this line cast very well anyways, used it again tonight, I bream and still impressed :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Alan, you Philistine.!.. :afraid:
If it casts ok and behaves itself on the reel, then the diameter is'nt a huge issue, is it.? Fish don't carry micrometers.
Marcraft are for queers.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

BillCollins wrote: Mon Oct 09 2017 01:45 -
Alan, you Philistine.!.. :afraid:
If it casts ok and behaves itself on the reel, then the diameter is'nt a huge issue, is it.? Fish don't carry micrometers.
Indeed mate, indeed! :thumbs:

Cheers Alan