Shimano Tranx 301

Porphyrios
Stickleback
Stickleback

Shimano Tranx 301

Post by Porphyrios »

Last year I decided to treat myself to a top end baitcaster for my heavy lure/jerkbait setup so I only had a few choices; Shimano Tranx, Abu Revo Toro Beast, Okuma Komodo and Daiwa Lexa. There may be more out there but these are the more available options here. Anyway, after quite a bit of research on all of the above looking at specs like gearing, durability and usability etc I opted for the Shimano because of its superior overall performance and engineering. Also Shimano have never let me down in 35 years of fishing whether used in salt or fresh water.
One year on and I love this reel even more, it is light yet strong and silky smooth on the cast and retrieve. And when luck is on my side its nice to play fish on too with its hefty drag capabilities!
I feel more than confident with this reel strapped to my rod, good job Shimano!
Slug
Chub
Chub

Re: Shimano Tranx 301

Post by Slug »

Love mine too very impressed by it!
Baitcaster
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Baitcaster »

Hi, I’m new to the forum... How does it compare to a size 201 baitcaster when casting lightish lures 15grams? and how about casting lures about 60 grams? This is the range I tend to use, would you recommend I stick to the new bantam or is it worth stepping up to the Tranx 301? When would you recommend using the Tranx 301 over say a 201?
Thanks
Cotswoldfisherman
Roach
Roach

Post by Cotswoldfisherman »

I bought my 401 about 7 months ago and I'm very pleased with it. Smooth retrieve. Casts good. Drag is very responsive, others would say that it lacks fine adjustment, coming from my Calcutta I can understand what they say. I've thrown lures down to 15g with it though it was using a 100g rod and 80lb braid, it wasn't very productive.
I fish.... Therefore I am.