Crooked Lines by Dominic Garnett

martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Crooked Lines by Dominic Garnett

Post by martin(rockape) »

This book is from the same author as "Tangles with Pike" Dominic Garnett and a few more books besides. It is full of short stories covering coarse, sea and fly fishing. If you enjoyed Tangles with Pike then you will enjoy this, his honesty and humour abounds in this book and is a refreshing read from books that predominate on tackle tarting and techniques.

http://www.dgfishing.co.uk/?utm_source= ... 82866773f4

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
ForTheLoveOfEsox
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Crooked Lines by Dominic Garnett

Post by ForTheLoveOfEsox »

I promised to put up a review on here for Dom...

Crooked Lines by Dominic Garnett.

Those of you who are looking for a book of big fish captures and technical wizardry may as well stop reading now. However, I would encourage every angler to read on as this book really does describe what fishing is all about, warts n' all.

A lot of younger anglers should take heed of what unfolds in this book, it's almost a 'how to' begin your angling progression. Too many are brainwashed into thinking that big fish and thousands of pounds worth of tackle is what it's all about, especially the world of specimen carp angling.
This is why Crooked Lines is so refreshing, it's gritty and back to basic angling. Older generation anglers will relate to the tales with relish, fondness and some amount of envy, it left me wishing I was still in my 30s.

There are 24 cracking tales about the very essence of our sport. No showing off or ego tripping here, all that is replaced with anarchy and craziness, typical of Dom's unashamed style of fishing. This is carried to the reader in superb prose and each tale will take you to the bankside. You only need to look at the back cover to see two anglers sat on an old settee in the middle of a brook to get the flavour of what awaits inside. The texts are supported by illustrations from the excellent artist Lord Bunn.

The beauty of the book is that you don't need to worry about breaking off at odd places as each chapter is around eight pages long (including the pictures). This means you can dip in and fill your soul with an excellent read each time. It's hard to stop at a couple of chapters, you just want more each time! This underlines Dom's great ability to tell a whole tale in short verse, yet nothing seems to be missing, very clever.

So what about the chapters? Well, it's a real mix from the wilds of Dartmoor to Manhattan and Poland. Species range from humble bullheads to squid, I kid ye not. The emphasis is all about getting out there, having a go and seeing what turns up, nothing to do with targets and endless lists of catches. Dom describes this perfectly when commenting of fish weights, that all important factor that sadly reduces the joy of the catch to a statistic in a diary. He hasn't brought himself to leaving the weigh scales at home yet though!

Personally I loved the chapter on fishing for small species. 'Small Wonders' will take you way back and reminded me of my boyhood as well as several more recent escapades with good friends where we would fish a local canal. The objective was to catch as many species as possible, winner pays for the beer in the pub afterwards. Being an obsessive eel nut myself (maybe not quite so much these days) I also related to 'The Strange Appeal of the Eel', so well written and true in every way.

This book is one of a few Dom has published so far so there is no silly censorship or editing to suite a commercial script, it's told how it is from Dom's mouth, no ghost writing here! I feel this is all part of the appeal to the reader and in purchasing such books we are supporting independent publishers too. I can't wait for Dom's next mix of forays into the crazier side of angling.

Crooked Lines - ISBN: 978-0-9931204-11

Softback: £9.99

Available from: dgfishing.co.uk

Kindle edition: £4.99
Available from: amazon.co.uk

Steve Ormrod.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Thats why i bought the book, excellent read.

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
PikeNut2015
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by PikeNut2015 »

a good read for sure.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

On the list :thumbs:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Reading it at the moment
Pikey Phil
Chub
Chub

Post by Pikey Phil »

Read this book and liked it a lot. Different style from most other fishing authors and a nice guy too. :smile: