Volunteer Bailiff Scheme

Got an article/website/guide/retailer that would make a useful reference point? Post a link here
wildriverpiker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Volunteer Bailiff Scheme

Post by wildriverpiker »

I
am now working for the Angling Trust as Fisheries Enforcement Manager,
funded by the EA. We are currently setting up the Volunteer Bailiff Scheme in the
EA SE England region, which will run for three years before being rolled
out nationally in England. Anyone interested in volunteering for the
pilot and living in London, Kent, Surrey, East & West Sussex,
Dorset, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire, please
see: http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?se ... temid=1033. This is a big chance for us to support EA enforcement and make a very positive difference....
d roberts
Perch
Perch

Re: Volunteer Bailiff Scheme

Post by d roberts »

Good idea, can you keep this thread updated ? As it will be interesting to see how this progresses.
wildriverpiker
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Volunteer Bailiff Scheme

Post by wildriverpiker »

I certainly will.

The idea is that for the first year the volunteers will be organised into 'Neighbourhood Watch' type groups, with a co-ordinator, feeding intelligence into the system. The second year will see them given further training and becoming partially warranted, having the power, for example, to request rod licences and provide a certain amount of operational support to EA officers. In year three, the volunteers become fully warranted and after more training involved in Higyh Impact Fishery Enforcement alongside EA professionals. Thereafter the pilot gets duplicated in all other EA regions, and I'll then oversee a team of Regional Fishery Enforcement Managers. This is a brave step and is really the EA equivelent of the Special Constabulary. As a retired police officer who understands exacty how both the police and Criminal Justice System works, I'll also be in a position to help develop a better understanding between the EA and police. A big challenge, but as my colleague and fellow PAC member, Angling Trust Membership Secretary Will Smith says, poaching etc is the hottest top[ic amongst anglers right now - that being so, let's get it sorted.