Swallows

For the Twitchers amongst us
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Swallows

Post by Monts »

First Swallow yesterday evening here, hopefully the herald of some better weather.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

No swallows here yer
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

I can add willow warbler to the list, hopefully a bit of good weather is on the way too
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Swallow numbers have been down for a good few years at Rutland, Sand Martins are around, not numbers though, Red Kites are very, very common here, a good few Buzzards about, Osprey's came back a few weeks ago.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Saw a blackbird gathering worms today.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 15:20 -
Ours have already fledged young and will be onto their second brood soon Dave. Sparrows and starlings are busy collecting nest material at the moment. An osprey turned up at the coast up here last week, and subsequently was treated like a local tourist attraction by the twitchers :roll: :roll:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 18:33 -
Ours have already fledged young and will be onto their second brood soon Dave. Sparrows and starlings are busy collecting nest material at the moment. An osprey turned up at the coast up here last week, and subsequently was treated like a local tourist attraction by the twitchers :roll: :roll:
The c*ck sparrow doesn't seem to have attracted a mate to my nest box yet. Although I did see one with some nesting material the other day.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 18:36 -
The c*ck sparrow doesn't seem to have attracted a mate to my nest box yet. Although I did see one with some nesting material the other day.
If theyve got good regular nest sites elsewhere it`ll likely take a bit longer to get them using your box Dave. It`ll get used eventually though :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 18:42 -
If theyve got good regular nest sites elsewhere it`ll likely take a bit longer to get them using your box Dave. It`ll get used eventually though :thumbs:
It's been used ever since I put it up. The first year by blue t*ts then sparrows ever since. I think he's just can't be a very attractive sparrow. :laughs:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 18:45 -
It's been used ever since I put it up. The first year by blue t*ts then sparrows ever since. I think he's just can't be a very attractive sparrow. :laughs:
Ah. I thought you were still waiting for them to start using it. Aye he mustn`t have the moves to attract the ladies :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 19:35 -
Ah. I thought you were still waiting for them to start using it. Aye he mustn`t have the moves to attract the ladies :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
He's a trier though!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 19:47 -
He's a trier though!
The fledgling blackbird thats been kicking around is doing well, and posed nicely this morning for a pic. Full tail now and feeding well. It just needs to avoid the local cats, and the sparrowhawks that come through regularly. The female sparrowhawk managed to get itself stuck in the hawthorn hedge out the back last week going after this blackbird. It managed to work itself free but made a hell of a racket while it was struggling to get out. The blackbird was lucky that day :grin:
KE6_0344-Edit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Apr 17 2024 15:52 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 19:47 -
He's a trier though!
The fledgling blackbird thats been kicking around is doing well, and posed nicely this morning for a pic. Full tail now and feeding well. It just needs to avoid the local cats, and the sparrowhawks that come through regularly. The female sparrowhawk managed to get itself stuck in the hawthorn hedge out the back last week going after this blackbird. It managed to work itself free but made a hell of a racket while it was struggling to get out. The blackbird was lucky that day :grin:

KE6_0344-Edit.jpg
:thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I think he's pulled. Just seen a female leaving the nest box! :giggle:

Nice to see a wheatear and oystercatchers up on the fells yesterday, and hear curlews.
_7819882.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Sun Apr 21 2024 10:33 -

Nice to see a wheatear and oystercatchers up on the fells yesterday, and hear curlews._7819882.jpg
Nice one Mr Sparrow :laughs: :laughs:

Theres a pair of oystercatchers nest every year on top of the shopping centre here. Dozy things have taken to flying around alarm calling in the middle of the night. Surprised someone hasnt shot the noisy b******s by now :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sun Apr 21 2024 10:42 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Apr 21 2024 10:33 -

Nice to see a wheatear and oystercatchers up on the fells yesterday, and hear curlews._7819882.jpg
Nice one Mr Sparrow :laughs: :laughs:

Theres a pair of oystercatchers nest every year on top of the shopping centre here. Dozy things have taken to flying around alarm calling in the middle of the night. Surprised someone hasnt shot the noisy b******s by now :grin:
I fished a pit for tench where the oystercatchers that nested on an island did that. :dizzy:
ROBBO90
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ROBBO90 »

Still not seen any swallows on the Staffs/Derbyshire border yet but have seen a pair of Curlews and a couple of Jays.
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Swallows turned up at our yard this morning, 8 days later than last year, im in Sandbach cheshire
ROBBO90
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ROBBO90 »

Seen a swallow today on my syndicate water on the Staffs/Derbyshire border. :yahoo:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Nest box definitely occupied now. Mr Sparrow has been delivering nesting material and I've seen Mrs Sparrow going in and out. :grin:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

With friends on Alderney, seen swallows, curlew ,dartford warbler- and heard cuckoos😀
Peter Newman