UK Big Cats.

For the Twitchers amongst us
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

UK Big Cats.

Post by The great Gavino »

Has anybody on here ever seen one? Very interested to hear if anybody has, or know knows someone that has.

Thanks
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: UK Big Cats.

Post by Happy Hayes »

How big is big ?
Regards
Tom
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Puma, Melanistic Leopard. Lynx etc
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I know someone who saw a big cat.
Last edited by davelumb on Fri Apr 26 2024 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 26 2024 16:37 -
I know someone who sw a big cat.
Me too. A couple of people actually. Very close distance wise. Absolutely no mistaking what they’d seen. An interesting subject
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Aye said it loads on here me and poach seen what we think was a caracal or looked very like a caracal. Big as a
fully grown alsatian.

Was on the canal at night tenching and appeared on the footpath opposite us near a lamp post so we got a really good look at it. It got a really good look at us too and I kept looking about all night paranoid it would come over the bridge.
Cyprio
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Cyprio »

DAVE HORTON'S seen a few :joker:

Even a Brace. :cool:

:exit:
Andy Carpenter
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

For the amount of sightings and instant availability of image capturing ability, there's very little positive evidence. :suspect:

Having said that, I once saw a black cat from a distance that looked considerably bigger than a domestic cat but it was from a distance!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Apr 27 2024 11:44 -
For the amount of sightings and instant availability of image capturing ability, there's very little positive evidence. :suspect:

Having said that, I once saw a black cat from a distance that looked considerably bigger than a domestic cat but it was from a distance!
I had my bridge camera in my bag phone camera back then was like a single megapixel wouldnt be worth effort to get a night shot.

Bridge camera would take too long, trying to get it might spook it so i just looked at it in amazement taking in every detail to remember.

Really gutted I didnt get a photo but its face is burned in my retinas
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

My missus' old boss in Worcestershire had something pull apart the chicken wire pen to get to his chickens. Big paw prints in the mud. He called someone - police, old Ministry of Agriculture? - they visited and they said 'yeah, it'll be one of the big cats, it happens all the time'.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Some really interesting accounts of sightings on a podcast called Big Cat Conversations, if anyone wants to delve a little deeper. Available in all the usual places. I would suspect that it’s just a matter of time before somebody decides to release unmistakable footage to the general public. It most certainly exists
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

Saw one in Lathom west lancs 2003 was dropping mate off just before his house took left turn and it jumped over my bonnet we both saw it on a summers eve at around 10 pm.
So unless it was me Lumby you know two people.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jeffire wrote: Sat Apr 27 2024 18:16 -
Saw one in Lathom west lancs 2003 was dropping mate off just before his house took left turn and it jumped over my bonnet we both saw it on a summers eve at around 10 pm.
Didn't know you'd seen one. Hadn't heard of any in this neck of the woods either - other than one eating swans on the Ribble. It can't have had a taste for otters. Or maybe it was a misidentified otter!
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

I’ve seen pictures of a massive cat a lad shot, it was as big as a fox, wasn’t a puma type more like a huge stray cat but what a size
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I've never seen one, but would love to see clear and conclusive footage to prove that they roam about. It's an interesting topic for many of us who spend time outdoors in wild places.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

Not calling anyone liars but I think this day and age with wild life cameras mobile phones cctv dash cams ect I would have expected to see clear cut evidence I know they say there was a lot released form private zoos ect but there would have to be breading colonies of them or country is not very big and like Bigfoot and Nessie they have the time bandits chasing them so until I see clear cut undeniable evidence I’m out but it does intrigue me and would like it to be true
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

whitey79 wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 09:57 -
Not calling anyone liars but I think this day and age with wild life cameras mobile phones cctv dash cams ect I would have expected to see clear cut evidence I know they say there was a lot released form private zoos ect but there would have to be breading colonies of them or country is not very big and like Bigfoot and Nessie they have the time bandits chasing them so until I see clear cut undeniable evidence I’m out but it does intrigue me and would like it to be true
I expect the odd one gets released, hunts and lives out a completely solitary life just avoiding getting shot by farmer John who would keep it quiet anyway.
The thing is are they breading out there ? No.
Very low density, bit like the 50 lb Pike
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

davelumb wrote: Sat Apr 27 2024 18:41 -
Didn't know you'd seen one. Hadn't heard of any in this neck of the woods either - other than one eating swans on the Ribble. It can't have had a taste for otters. Or maybe it was a misidentified otter!
Did you ever see the bloke from southport zoo walking his along lord street ? Or hear the story of mr and mrs farrar who kept lions at the house in westbourne rd ?
Last edited by Jeffire on Sun Apr 28 2024 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

whitey79 wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 09:57 -
And not forgetting the most common and vulnerable PREY available to them, farmer's livestock. I'm not saying that these big cat's aren't about but not as many as people like to think. I sure our shooting syndicates would have flushed one out by now or seen signs they've left such as dens and carcases etc.

Mind you seeing is believing and I'd certainly question it.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jeffire wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 10:15 -
Did you ever see the bloke from southport zoo walking his along lord street ? Or hear the story of mr and mrs farrar who kept lions at the house in westbourne rd ?
Never saw that, but now you mention the lions that rings a bell.
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

davelumb wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 10:34 -
Jeffire wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 10:15 -
Never saw that, but now you mention the lions that rings a bell.
I remember it being on tv and big article in the visitor , think they may have been the zoo creators ?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

There are lots and lots of deer in the countryside, but we don't often see them - except in certain areas. So a handful of individual big cats could easily go undetected. As Steve says, any that might get shot by farmers are likely to be disposed of without a fanfare.

Sure there are cameras everywhere these days, but at dusk or night a lot of them are pretty useless. Camera traps should get better results, but they'd have to be where the cats pass close by.

I'm sceptical, but I don't doubt there's something in the story I've heard. :shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It can't be long before the loonies illegally release lynx like they did beavers. https://www.northernfarmer.co.uk/news/2 ... n-project/
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Best kind of otter! :laughs:
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

JoeNickel wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 12:32 -
Out of them 3 links the independent one holds what would convince me most but again could be a film from anywhere in the world if it was there surely someone would have tracked it down going on the radius of where it could be if it was living in that area it wouldn’t be far from its food source
Sheep in a field like living next door to a free all you can eat animals wouldn’t leave an easy meal
There was also no picture of the carcass if it was me I’d have got as close as possible and spoked it off or been attacked all the time filming what happened still not enough for me but good start
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

The Independent video was debunked as a cow laid down cleaning itself :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 17:58 -
The Independent video was debunked as a cow laid down cleaning itself :wink:
:laughs:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

davelumb wrote: Sun Apr 28 2024 12:32 -
It can't be long before the loonies illegally release lynx like they did beavers. https://www.northernfarmer.co.uk/news/2 ... n-project/
Never mind, Farmer John gets tax relief on ammo :shoot: