Swan

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Swan

Post by davelumb »

_7810719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Swan

Post by Steve Dennington »

Bless 'em, the biggest bellends of the avian world.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Apr 09 2023 22:48 -
Bless 'em, the biggest bellends of the avian world.
Break your arm mind Steve.
Growing up if I’d had a pound for every time I heard someone say don’t go near a swan it’ll break your arm. Yer right.
The Queens bird see, it is a psychological way of keeping you away from them, bit like the sign you see nailed to a tree on the entrance to a private wood or forest ‘danger beware Adders’
s**t we better not go in there.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Steve Le maitre wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 06:54 -
Growing up if I’d had a pound for every time I heard someone say don’t go near a swan it’ll break your arm. Yer right.
:thumbs: John Wilson asked a river keeper about that on Go Fishing. He said it was like getting hit by a child with a feather duster :laughs:

They really are the most brainless things though. If a duck goes along the margin and encounters 2/3 lines stretching out across the water it goes round them. Geese do the same. Swans? Nope, they just plough on, right through the lines... :roll:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 11:26 -
:thumbs: John Wilson asked a river keeper about that on Go Fishing. He said it was like getting hit by a child with a feather duster :laughs:

They really are the most brainless things though. If a duck goes along the margin and encounters 2/3 lines stretching out across the water it goes round them. Geese do the same. Swans? Nope, they just plough on, right through the lines... :roll:
Ain't that the truth. Although I've had Canada geese be just as stupid. A flock of them swimming past when you've got three rods out for tench could be no fun.

There was a Trumpeter Swan on the Ribble that didn't cause any problems though. Didn't pester you for food either. It would just stand next to you doing nothing!
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

I had one got through my line, i tried to wiggle the rod to get the line from around its foot but it must have been wrapped around. eventually it ended up getting a treble hook in its foot! managed to pull it as i was using a Baitblaster and cut the point of the treble off.

Stupid creature went straight towards my other line and swam straight into that one too!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

The swans on my local water must be the exception.

Very smart around lines and will duck under them near the rods quite deftly.

They also have a remarkably shallow draught - swimming over barely submerged lines without snagging them.

Another thing they do is 'police' the water very rigorously - the cob has zero tolerance for Canada geese or visiting swans!
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Bob Barker
Perch
Perch

Post by Bob Barker »

Steve Dennington wrote, :smile:

Try telling that to this foxy fella...
SwanFox02.jpg
Bob, :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 11:26 -

Ha, we’ve exposed the truth !
They are not brilliant at crossing over lines, or breaking your arm.
Had one hook it’s giant webbed foot on a magnum Hawg Wobbler once, apart from a lot of hissing I unhooked it like a baby :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Bob Barker wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 20:10 -

SwanFox02.jpg

Probably choked on an egg - there's just no way the swan killed it. In a swan v. fox death match there's only one winner and it's the one with the teeth.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 20:25 -
Bob Barker wrote: Mon Apr 10 2023 20:10 -

SwanFox02.jpg

Probably choked on an egg - there's just no way the swan killed it. In a swan v. fox death match there's only one winner and it's the one with the teeth.

Yes there is a clear way a swan could kill a fox. The strike of an adult swan is made with the bird standing upright with its breastbone facing the target so the wing can be brought forwards as it would if the bird was flying. The impact is considerable, such that a broom handle pushed into the ground and held upright with one hand can be moved several inches sideways and the noise is such I have often wondered why the birds wing hasn't broken. I can see that such an impact would easily stun or even kill a fox as its skull has not evolved to withstand hard contact.

To deter theft I have marked swans eggs (under licence) which involved moving a sitting swan off its nest and I never met a single bird that didn't put up a very determined resistance.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus