Swifts

For the Twitchers amongst us
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Swifts

Post by Chris Hammond »

I made a swift nesting box and stuck it up this morning. I know swifts have used my roof at some time in the past as when I first moved in and cleaned the loft there was an old nest with an un-hatched egg in it.

They swirl around above my house every summer in large numbers screetching. I read somewhere that it may be neccesary to play some swift audio near to the box to get their attention.

Has anybody else put a box up and if so have you had any success?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Swifts

Post by davelumb »

Can't offer any advice, but hope it works out well. Is that a single entrance for multiple nests?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat May 06 2023 14:36 -
Can't offer any advice, but hope it works out well. Is that a single entrance for multiple nests?
No Dave, not as far as I know,I’d expect a single pair. It’s based on the swift boxes we fit here and there at work. I do know that the swift nests I’ve seen in the past in house roofs are usually well into the eaves. :shrug:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

A quick Google suggests they like the length in order for the fledglings to exercise their wings.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Cheers Chris.

I keep meaning to put a sparrow colony box up. Especially now a pair have been using one box for the past three springs.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat May 06 2023 15:42 -
Cheers Chris.

I keep meaning to put a sparrow colony box up. Especially now a pair have been using one box for the past three springs.
Yes I intend doing the same on the other side of the house in time for next spring. They used to nest in my eaves but seem to have stopped for some reason. There's a little quarrelsome posse of them that chases one another all around my apple tree. :smile:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 06 2023 15:55 -
Cheers Chris.

Yes I intend doing the same on the other side of the house in time for next spring. They used to nest in my eaves but seem to have stopped for some reason. There's a little quarrelsome posse of them that chases one another all around my apple tree. :smile:
We must encourage house sparrow to thrive. :thumbs:

Even if it's only to annoy Tractor Steve! :laughs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Sat May 06 2023 16:27 -
Cheers Chris.

The gardeners in our village when I was a kid used to trap them in wire cages and kill the poor buggers.

A striking little bird the male spuggy. Always liked them myself. :smile:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 06 2023 18:29 -
Cheers Chris.

The gardeners in our village when I was a kid used to trap them in wire cages and kill the poor buggers.

I like them too.

Was jealous of someone I know who lived in Nidderdale. They had Tree Sparrows nesting in a box in their garden.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

The Swifts have arrived here in Northamptonshire, nice to see them flying high.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Good luck Chris.
I put up 3 at the local farm 3 years ago but no Swifties yet.
Mick.
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Not massively relevant but walking into a pub in Worthing today the Swifts were going mental in the sky above the town with their calling...
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
gary j stockton
Roach
Roach

Post by gary j stockton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 06 2023 18:29 -
Cheers Chris.

Spuggy, i like that, we call them spadgers wonder if their are any other sparrow nicknames out there.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Thanks chaps.
There are a few swifts overhead here now but not even close to the usual numbers we get.

Hopefully there will be late arrivals still to come.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Ours seem to have vanished over the weekend, I'm guessing they are trying to tell us summer has passed.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Monts wrote: Tue Aug 15 2023 15:38 -
Ours seem to have vanished over the weekend, I'm guessing they are trying to tell us summer has passed.
They've been gone in my neck of the woods now for about 2 weeks, they'll be back in Africa by now I reckon.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

martin(rockape) wrote: Tue Aug 15 2023 18:14 -
Monts wrote: Tue Aug 15 2023 15:38 -
They've been gone in my neck of the woods now for about 2 weeks, they'll be back in Africa by now I reckon.

Regards

Martin

:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I don't think I've seen a swift this year. :sad: