“Bat in the House!”

For the Twitchers amongst us
Cyprio
Barbel
Barbel

“Bat in the House!”

Post by Cyprio »

Well that was fun.
On the sofa watching a film no lights on I had a bat flying around the TV room. Wtf. Tried turning lights on in different rooms apart from aiming for my face all it wanted to do was map out the downstairs before it ended up in the conservatory which woke up the two Bengals :afraid:
I ran out to garage came back with 50inch net. It was still in with the cats with all three going up and down in circles :laughs:
It looked fun so I joined in until it went in the net.
Right little ball of fluff with huge ears. I’m guessing the type below as it folded it’s ears just like a rams horn. :cool:
A0FB7393-E9CA-42D0-931C-3452626692BD.jpeg
0014E9C0-5191-413C-B284-DFBEB33B3DF4.jpeg
Reminded me of this :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: “Bat in the House!”

Post by davelumb »

:dizzy:
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

You did well to net it!
I had a similar experience when home alone, lights off watching a zombie movie, beer flowing. I noticed a high-speed bat silhouette between me and the TV. With the lights on there was one pass before it found a roost somewhere in the eaves. There was no chance of netting it due to the high ceilings, so I turned the lights and TV off and listened. I could hear the bat landing on the security screen I had used to exit and "water" a tree outside a bit earlier. I left the lights off inside and put the deck lights on outside and opened the screen. The bat was gone in minutes.
I was absolutely amazed at the bats ability to navigate at speed, by echo location, a complex space with lots of hazards such as ceiling fans, wires, poles etc. It was also able to relocate the door through which it had entered, presumably using a 3D map it had remembered.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

This reminds me of a similar experience I had when staying at a youth hostel travelling around Australia The women in one of the houses were in a bit of a tiz as a 2 or 3 bats had gotten into the house. I used the lights in the house guiding them to fly from a bright room to a dark one and eventually out the door or window. I've no idea what they were but certainly a big bat by UK standards.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.