Re: Wildlife pics from this year....

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 23:49 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 16:15 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 13:36 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 11:53 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Dec 26 2023 09:21 -
Looks like you’ve been having some fun Mark.🙂

I’ve not put my ghillie suit on in ages but I have a few plans for some wildlife togging this coming spring. I think my days of carting the full Nikon/Manfrotto set up across country are behind me, but I purposely bought A high spec phone for the camera it has. I’m also looking forward to using my drone for wildlife pics too.
Yeah, the photos are really just a bonus though...its nice just getting out and seeing this stuff :thumbs:

Are phone cameras good enough for wildlife photos now? My phone has a decent camera but the images go all to pot once you have to zoom in to any degree...
I’m not sure Mark tbh but I suspect part of the problem with a phone camera zoom might be because you don’t use a tripod or beanbag?

My phone camera has five times the resolution of my 35mm Nikon SLR. It will be interesting to see how it performs. 🙂
My phone camera has twice the pixels of my DSLRs. But it's crap in comparison, most noticeably in lower light levels. It is pretty good for macro type stuff using the built in light though.
Crap in what respects Dave?
The pics can look kind of 'smeary'. If your phone can shoot raw files it might be better. Mine certainly tries to 'improve' the jpegs with noise reduction.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 09:43 -

I’ve not put my ghillie suit on in ages but I have a few plans for some wildlife togging this coming spring. I think my days of carting the full Nikon/Manfrotto set up across country are behind me, but I purposely bought A high spec phone for the camera it has. I’m also looking forward to using my drone for wildlife pics too.
Yeah, the photos are really just a bonus though...its nice just getting out and seeing this stuff :thumbs:

Are phone cameras good enough for wildlife photos now? My phone has a decent camera but the images go all to pot once you have to zoom in to any degree...
I’m not sure Mark tbh but I suspect part of the problem with a phone camera zoom might be because you don’t use a tripod or beanbag?

My phone camera has five times the resolution of my 35mm Nikon SLR. It will be interesting to see how it performs. 🙂
My phone camera has twice the pixels of my DSLRs. But it's crap in comparison, most noticeably in lower light levels. It is pretty good for macro type stuff using the built in light though.
The pics can look kind of 'smeary'. If your phone can shoot raw files it might be better. Mine certainly tries to 'improve' the jpegs with noise reduction.
I see, you mean the onboard CPU over processes the files?

I’m pretty sure my iPhone has the facility for raw files. Fingers crossed.🤞
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 10:37 -

Yeah, that's it. It's a lot better than my old phone though. iPhones are really good, but don't expect miracles! :wink:

How are you getting on with the drone?
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

I tried taking some raw images on my phone and they looked even worse Dave. It`s an older phone though so hopefully things have improved, but I wouldnt expect miracles...
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 12:03 -

I tried taking some raw images on my phone and they looked even worse Dave. It`s an older phone though so hopefully things have improved, but I wouldnt expect miracles...
It'll be interesting to see what kind of results Chris gets.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 12:53 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 12:03 -

It'll be interesting to see what kind of results Chris gets.
Indeed :thumbs: :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 10:41 -

Yeah, that's it. It's a lot better than my old phone though. iPhones are really good, but don't expect miracles! :wink:

I’ve not used to any really great extent yet tbh. I have a few plans for the spring though. :thumbs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 14:58 -

I’ve not used to any really great extent yet tbh. I have a few plans for the spring though. :thumbs:
Keep us posted. :smile:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

:thumbs:
davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 16:19 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 14:58 -

Keep us posted. :smile:
👍
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Last edited by Mark_Houghton on Sat Dec 30 2023 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 13:02 -
A few more....

Hummingbird hawk moth....usually get a brief visit or two every summer from these in the garden, but this was the first time i managed any pics....

DSC_4997.JPG

Migrant hawker dragonfly....

DSC_8935.JPG

and a Goldcrest...very approachable as it had just come in off the north sea and was resting up...

DSC_0353.JPG
Nice. Particularly the moth, which is something I've yet to see.

Goldcrests rarely sit still for more than two seconds, so it must have been knackered!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 17:45 -
A few more....

Hummingbird hawk moth....usually get a brief visit or two every summer from these in the garden, but this was the first time i managed any pics....

DSC_4997.JPG

DSC_8935.JPG

and a Goldcrest...very approachable as it had just come in off the north sea and was resting up...

DSC_0353.JPG

Goldcrests rarely sit still for more than two seconds, so it must have been knackered!
Red Valerian is a magnet for the hummingbird hawk moths, plant a decent clump of that somewhere in the garden and i bet they`ll turn up at some point. You can spot them easily, they really do move like a hummingbird in flight :thumbs:

That was the only goldcrest i`ve ever seen that sat still for more than a couple of seconds :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 18:08 -
A few more....

DSC_4997.JPG

DSC_8935.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

Red Valerian is a magnet for the hummingbird hawk moths, plant a decent clump of that somewhere in the garden and i bet they`ll turn up at some point. You can spot them easily, they really do move like a hummingbird in flight :thumbs:

That was the only goldcrest i`ve ever seen that sat still for more than a couple of seconds :grin:
Cheers Mark. :thumbs:

More sheepy pics taken today. :dizzy:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Last edited by Mark_Houghton on Sat Dec 30 2023 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 19:08 -
davelumb wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 18:46 -
A few more....

DSC_4997.JPG

DSC_8935.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

Least you got out mate, i`m not out until Saturday by which time it looks to be p*****g down again so that`ll likely be called off :laughs:

Forgot about this pic. It was a mess with noise but its cleaned up ok in Topaz. A rare second visit to the garden this summer, right at dusk. Usually I see them once each summer here. If i`d had time to take a few more shots i`d have got the grey patio out of the shot, but with these moths you only get a minute or so tops before theyre off elsewhere so quick grab shots are about all you get...

DSC_5521-DeNoiseAI-raw.jpg
Does look clean. A vertical crop would make the patio less obtrusive.

BTW - I got a bit wet today but it faired up. If the forecast is right I'll be giving the trial on Saturday a miss...
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Last edited by Mark_Houghton on Sat Dec 30 2023 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 19:48 -
davelumb wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 19:36 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 19:08 -
davelumb wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 18:46 -
A few more....

DSC_4997.JPG

DSC_8935.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

Least you got out mate, i`m not out until Saturday by which time it looks to be p*****g down again so that`ll likely be called off :laughs:

Forgot about this pic. It was a mess with noise but its cleaned up ok in Topaz. A rare second visit to the garden this summer, right at dusk. Usually I see them once each summer here. If i`d had time to take a few more shots i`d have got the grey patio out of the shot, but with these moths you only get a minute or so tops before theyre off elsewhere so quick grab shots are about all you get...

Does look clean. A vertical crop would make the patio less obtrusive.

BTW - I got a bit wet today but it faired up. If the forecast is right I'll be giving the trial on Saturday a miss...
Good call :thumbs:

:grin:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Those moths certainly move quick I've had a couple flit through my garden. An amazing moth.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

martin(rockape) wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 22:34 -
Those moths certainly move quick I've had a couple flit through my garden. An amazing moth.

Regards

Martin
Very quick :grin: I`ve had them visiting the garden for a few yrs now but this summer was the first time i was quick enough to grab some photos....
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Some lovely shots Mark.
I'm the opposite, I've got back into my fishing more and more, so the camera has had very little use this year, except for a couple of visits to a local little owl location.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

chrisG wrote: Fri Dec 29 2023 11:50 -
Some lovely shots Mark.
I'm the opposite, I've got back into my fishing more and more, so the camera has had very little use this year, except for a couple of visits to a local little owl location.
Cheers Chris :thumbs:

We`ve got a few sites to check out for little owls this coming spring so hopefully we`ll be able to get some photos at one of them at least...
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

zodiac wrote: Mon Dec 25 2023 21:15 -
Remember Dave Newman? Was a regular on here for years. maybe his photography started taking up more of his time and he didn't find time for fishing!
Anyway he used to post some incredible wildlife photos, he used to a photo of the day type thing. Haven't seen him on for a while though.
Dave`s still posting his pics on FB. Found him last night on there.....

https://www.facebook.com/DaveSpherical/photos_by
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Dec 30 2023 15:29 -
Remember Dave Newman? Was a regular on here for years. maybe his photography started taking up more of his time and he didn't find time for fishing!
Anyway he used to post some incredible wildlife photos, he used to a photo of the day type thing. Haven't seen him on for a while though.

:thumbs:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Dec 30 2023 15:29 -

Cheers
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly