More fire power needed

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
nortchul
Roach
Roach

More fire power needed

Post by nortchul »

Been shooting magpies and rats on a neighbouring farm, but his chickens have been massacred by foxes.
I only got a .22 air rifle and need something bigger before I go after them, what's the preferred calibre?
Been looking at.223 but not wanting to go crazy heavy.
Have a night scope and they seem to be in and around 80-150 yards.
TIA
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: More fire power needed

Post by Rob1980 »

nortchul wrote: Thu Apr 11 2024 17:40 -
Been shooting magpies and rats on a neighbouring farm, but his chickens have been massacred by foxes.
I only got a .22 air rifle and need something bigger before I go after them, what's the preferred calibre?
TIA
.223 or a 22/250 will be perfect,I used a sako 22/250 heavy barrel version,for almost 20 years fir mainly foxes,was a lovely gun to handle and shoot.I would highly recommend you get a sound moderator fitted by a gunsmith as well,the modern ones have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years,god luck.I really miss my fox shooting,not been for years and gave up my rifles 3 years ago.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

A bloke I did a drive for a few years ago had a moderated .22 rimfire. He told me the sound of the round hitting a rabbit was louder than the shot.
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

A .22 Hornet or a .22 wmr would do the job at those ranges.
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

benelli wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 20:36 -
A .22 Hornet or a .22 wmr would do the job at those ranges.
It would,but I'd rather have a flat shooting centerfire capable of a bit more range to do the job,thes always those foxes that are a little bit further out
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

I would go for a .204 Ruger, excellent varmint round.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Rob1980 wrote: Thu Apr 11 2024 19:12 -
nortchul wrote: Thu Apr 11 2024 17:40 -
TIA
.223 or a 22/250 will be perfect,I used a sako 22/250 heavy barrel version,for almost 20 years fir mainly foxes,was a lovely gun to handle and shoot.I would highly recommend you get a sound moderator fitted by a gunsmith as well,the modern ones have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years,god luck.I really miss my fox shooting,not been for years and gave up my rifles 3 years ago.
Same as a friend of mine.
Did a lot of foxing - no doubt helped that he was one of the firearms licencing officers so lots of farmers to see - & .223 & .22/250 were his preferred calibres.
He did a bit of stalking as well & that was either .243 or .308 depending what & where.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Up to 150 yards I would use my .22 WMR or previously had a .17HMR. Shooting with night vision requires you to either know the land really well and have some way of judging the range, or a very flat shooting cartridge that is more forgiving of holdovers.
I found the 17HMR was accurate, but even moderated the report tended to negate the benefit of NV, the 22WMR is as accurate and quieter with the advantage of better hitting power from what I have found. The HMR was also affected more by wind. Further than 150 yards I have a heavy barrelled Tikka .223.

It does slightly depend what the firearms licensing officer is happy to clear the land for, and whether you have an open ticket or not? The ultimate fox rifle is a .220 swift, they are absolutely devastating on foxes and shoot extremely flat, short barrel life is the compromise as with any hyperfast round. As others have said a .223 or 22/250 is a good choice, the .222 has a reputation for being really accurate too.
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

The king of foxing calibre is .220 Swift, had one for 15 years. The fastest factory round and one of the flattest. The only down side is barrel life and price of rounds.
If you want an out and out foxing rifle, has to be .223, plenty of options if you are buying factory ammo.