Issue with My Collie X

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Issue with My Collie X

Post by Jason Skilton »

Ok, so Riley the Collie X occasional comes on session with me on the bank fishing and for the static fishing sessions it not an issue and he's as good as gold.

However, when he come along when I'm lure fishing or even prebait the careful, steady dog because a whirling dervish of frantic howl.

Is their any way of desensitising him to the things splashing on the water i.e. lure or catapulting bait.
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Issue with My Collie X

Post by OLDESOX »

training,my mates dog a westie sits very quite and still until he launched items into the water.after a period of reward training she goes to sleep!! bored with ground bait and dead fish.
retired so time to smell the roses.
Rik W
Chub
Chub

Post by Rik W »

I tried lure fishing with one of my Labradors many years ago. He was trained to not make a retrieve until he was sent and could manage this with Duck of Goose. For some reason the constant casting of a jerkbait became all too much and when I wasn't looking he would jump in and try and retrieve it. He was also a very fast swimmer and we had a couple of close ones so I stopped taking him!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

It's not just mine that does that then! :laughs:

I'm working with a trainer one-to-one to try to curb that very issue with Abi, my GSD. She's a young dog though (not two until June) so I'm hopeful the issue can be tackled. I had to shut her in the bivvy whilst I did any spodding last year :roll: Same as Riley though, she's good as gold once the rods are out and left static.
pearsebolger
Roach
Roach

Post by pearsebolger »

Hi Jason :thumbs:
I would take a mate with me , put a full choker on the dog and give him a good pull if

he makes any effort to move from the "sit" position . :madmick:
How old is the dog? :scratch:
If he is a young dog (under 7) I would not give him treats just a pat on the head followed by "good dog " a couple of times . :roll:
He should learn within 5/6 trips that he is going nowhere . :hammer:
All it is ,is repetition,again and again. :laughs:
Pearse :gulp: :pipe: :gulp:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

He clearly understands 'stay' as he's fine when you're not lure fishing so positive reinforcement of good behaviour is the way to go. I assume you already know if he works better for praise (like my Louie) or for food (like my Inuki) or for a favourite toy like my mates doberman, if you don't know then you'll need to work it out.

There's no point in getting mad and shouting at him or using the suggested choke collar, he is doing something that makes him happy so telling him its wrong or punishing him with a choke collar will make for an unhappy dog.
He just needs training and distracting mate so practice the stay command and offer rewards for doing it, something like a kong filled with a food he really likes, peanut butter is good, will offer distraction. You shouldn't need it every trip, once he's figured out the lures are not for him he'll be as good as my Inuki and just sit and wait when I put the lure bucket down.

A choke collar is for clueless muppets who don't understand dogs and think yanking a dog around by the throat is training it :w****r:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Daniel wrote: Fri Apr 21 2017 19:45 -
He clearly understands 'stay' as he's fine when you're not lure fishing so positive reinforcement of good behaviour is the way to go. I assume you already know if he works better for praise (like my Louie) or for food (like my Inuki) or for a favourite toy like my mates doberman, if you don't know then you'll need to work it out.

There's no point in getting mad and shouting at him or using the suggested choke collar, he is doing something that makes him happy so telling him its wrong or punishing him with a choke collar will make for an unhappy dog.
He just needs training and distracting mate so practice the stay command and offer rewards for doing it, something like a kong filled with a food he really likes, peanut butter is good, will offer distraction. You shouldn't need it every trip, once he's figured out the lures are not for him he'll be as good as my Inuki and just sit and wait when I put the lure bucket down.

A choke collar is for clueless muppets who don't understand dogs and think yanking a dog around by the throat is training it :w****r:

"A choke collar is for clueless muppets who don't understand dogs and think yanking a dog around by the throat is training it :w****r:"

+1,
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Apr 21 2017 21:08 -
"A choke collar is for clueless muppets who don't understand dogs and think yanking a dog around by the throat is training it :w****r:"

+1,
Yep, +2 :sick:

What we're working on is getting Abi to sit and stay (reward based - either food, or her much bigger motivation, the Kong squeaky ball) whilst dummying the ball throw/casting motion, and for her to only move when given the "okay" release command. I'm pretty confident that we'll get there soon in the correct way, without resorting to strangling her! :eek:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Rewards do work. Riley is 5 and as bright as a button. He's a great dog just has a thing for repetitive casting lol.

He loves float fishing and watches the float, growling just before it dips. He has a sixth sense and seems to when a run will happen too.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

What your dog is doing falls into the "un acceptable behaviour" category.

What did you do to stop it jumping up at you, trying to s**g the mrs, having a ripping time with the newspaper/cushions/shoes, and all the other things young dogs do that can have you pulling your hair out?

you need to do exactly the same as you did to stop the above to stop his unacceptable behaviour on the bank

You don't reward a dog to stop him doing something you don't want him to do, look what happens in a pack, he soon gets to learn what "NO" means.

He knows what you are going to do when you pick the rod up--- he is anticipating you casting out. Making him sit heightens his anticipation---he's picked the rod , he's made me sit----he's going to cast, go on hurry up hurry up. That's what he is thinking---its game time.

Pick your rod up and IMMEDIATELY do what you did to stop his other unacceptable behaviour, a firm "NO" (if he has learned what no means) will break his anticipation, do not cast out until his excitement stops.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Apr 21 2017 21:08 -

+1,
+3
Our sprocker is now 8 months old and Ive got her to stay until released.

Ive only really just started her with a ball in the water, but if she's told to stay she won't go until I release her.

The only lead Ive ever used is a simple rope I can slip on and off. To stop her pulling initial all we did was put it round her neck then loop it over her snout, which just gently turns their head as soon as they start to pull... :thumbs: