Rich man’s sport?

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Rich man’s sport?

Post by piker al »

My mate runs a small shoot and was telling me about the running costs, as with everything the costs are through the roof, gas we all know is expensive but grower pellets and grain are well up, pheasants have doubled and partridge where very scarce think he ended up paying £7 each,
He’s got a job and does the shoot as a hobby but says he needs £40 a bird pheasants and £50 partridge to make it worthwhile.
The bigger shoots are £75 a bird round here, definitely a rich man’s game, hopefully us beaters get a pay rise to, doubt it :laughs:
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Rich man’s sport?

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

piker al wrote: Sun Aug 28 2022 17:49 -
My mate runs a small shoot and was telling me about the running costs, as with everything the costs are through the roof, gas we all know is expensive but grower pellets and grain are well up, pheasants have doubled and partridge where very scarce think he ended up paying £7 each,
He’s got a job and does the shoot as a hobby but says he needs £40 a bird pheasants and £50 partridge to make it worthwhile.
The bigger shoots are £75 a bird round here, definitely a rich man’s game, hopefully us beaters get a pay rise to, doubt it :laughs:
:sad: know what you mean.
Speaking with the local land owner round my way and he’s not doing any again this season.
A lot is to do with the avian flu. As most of the birds come from France.

He’s got 2 large estates that usually have at least 1 drive a week through the season.
:cry:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

How they can call that sport, when the birds are totally tame and basically punted up in to the air to be peppered by shot I have no idea.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Sun Aug 28 2022 21:05 -
piker al wrote: Sun Aug 28 2022 17:49 -
:sad: know what you mean.
Speaking with the local land owner round my way and he’s not doing any again this season.
A lot is to do with the avian flu. As most of the birds come from France.

He’s got 2 large estates that usually have at least 1 drive a week through the season.
:cry:
I think that was why the partridge where so expensive nothings come in from France, at least he got a few birds al get a few days beating and normally share a gun with my dad for the beaters day
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 00:50 -
How they can call that sport, when the birds are totally tame and basically punted up in to the air to be peppered by shot I have no idea.
i used to pick up on a big posh estate years back with my Labrador, stopped going as they were shooting them down 20ft high and driven at head height

i found it not very sporting and these guys who were shooting were turning up in helicopters , and from abroad too...

the funny thing is they thought it was sporting , any high bird that came over was completely safe ...i walked off that shoot with a feeling of disbelief.....

yes your right its turning into a very rich mans sport .....full of idiots with guns who actually think they can shoot ......
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If the costs are like that it will follow that any decent duck flighting will be at a premium, and may even divert a bit more attention towards the ever growing numbers of Canadas.

One can only hope.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 12:04 -
If the costs are like that it will follow that any decent duck flighting will be at a premium, and may even divert a bit more attention towards the ever growing numbers of Canadas.

One can only hope.

Aye the canadas are vermin nowadays Mike, even the grey lag are too common, there’s nearly 2000 grey lag gathered on the solway around Gretna already, but tbh on Thursday when season opens not many serious wildfowlers want to shoot them, better waiting on the wild pinks
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker al wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 14:26 -

One can only hope.

Aye the canadas are vermin nowadays Mike, even the grey lag are too common, there’s nearly 2000 grey lag gathered on the solway around Gretna already, but tbh on Thursday when season opens not many serious wildfowlers want to shoot them, better waiting on the wild pinks

Get a Canada with a smokey breast and it will eat well enough.
You a wildfowler?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 14:38 -

One can only hope.

You a wildfowler?

I’ve done a bit over the years Mike, my dad’s really keen so I go with him a couple times over the season, wild pink foots on the solway at brow house or rockcliffe marsh :thumbs:
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

piker al wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 15:20 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 29 2022 14:38 -

One can only hope.

You a wildfowler?

I’ve done a bit over the years Mike, my dad’s really keen so I go with him a couple times over the season, wild pink foots on the solway at brow house or rockcliffe marsh :thumbs:
Can’t beat a good splash :thumbs:

Not been out for looong while though. :sad:
Got permission from a friendly keeper to take few from the boat if I fancy it this season :wink:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Manka The Sky Gypsy is my favorite book by BB, well worth a read if you have not already.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach