itchy dog

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
greencard1
Perch
Perch

itchy dog

Post by greencard1 »

My staffie cross won't leave his ar$e alone.

Up to date with flea and worm treatments, nothing in a**l gland. He is about 12 years old. (rescue, so we don't know for sure).

He is very raw under the base of his tail.

What cream can I put on it?

Thanks for any advice offered.
Cheers. John.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: itchy dog

Post by Mike J »

Have you evacuated his an@l gland yourself?
Sometimes they get a mite in there which cannot be eradicated unless its emptied completely.
Don't trust a Vet to empty it all, do it yourself, just be sure to do it outside, ideally somewhere well away from the house.

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Lomond-Angler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Lomond-Angler »

I have a 7yr old Staff and he's been plagued by allergies. Occasionally scratches until he bleeds. He was raw fed for the first couple of years until we got allergy testing carried out & discovered he was pretty much allergic to all the proteins normally associated with dog food. Chicken, beef, white fish, pork 😤 had to put him on a hypoallergenic dry feed which has helped alot, its expensive but better for him long term than pumping him full of steroids. For any bits where he had scratched himself up pretty bad we treat it with colloidal silver
what a blanker
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

My dog was tearing at himself a few weeks ago.

As there wasn't much in his a**l glands, the vet said it was probably a seasonal allergy and prescribed some steroid cream to apply locally and also suggested one antihistamine tablet per day. (They are not licenced for dogs, so she couldn't prescribe them).

We gave him Piriton for a few days and it did the trick.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thanks guys!

He is a sensitive creature. Has to have the same food every day, and an anti-histamine in the summer.
Will give him an anti-histamine now, and think about doing his gland again... now where are those gloves?

Thanks again.
John.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

greencard1 wrote: Wed Nov 02 2022 12:08 -
Thanks guys!

He is a sensitive creature. Has to have the same food every day, and an anti-histamine in the summer.
Will give him an anti-histamine now, and think about doing his gland again... now where are those gloves?

Thanks again.
John.

If he has mite in there you will probably get a bit of blood towards the end, no need to worry as its an indication you've got it all.
Evac him twice a year to stop any problems building up.
The most dogs Ive had was nine, all workers, I always emptied them on the top of a windy hill :grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

As John said you can use Piriton.

Cream you can use Sudocreme or Coconut Oil.

Earth Bath do an “itch relief” shampoo plus an Aloe Vera conditioner, their products are excellent.

Hope he improves soon 👍🏼
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Thanks Mike and Ben.

He seems a bit better today. I think the anti-histamine worked.

I just need to get him to sleep in a bit in the mornings now. He used to get me up at 5.15am, which is far too early if I am not going fishing. Now that we have changed the clocks, he is getting me up at 4.15am, which is faaaaaar too early.
He thinks he is doing me a favour. He really isn't.