DDS and Bucktails ??

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

DDS and Bucktails ??

Post by Mike J »

Probably a shot in the dark but worth a try.

Anyone make their own?

I have all the components except for the blades.

:shrug:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Re: DDS and Bucktails ??

Post by andrew_nagel »

Make my own. Usually only make spinnerbaits these days. Sold all my bucktail materials and vice. I usually carry a zip-lock bag of blades and just clip on what's needed for the presentation I want and conditions.
SB01.jpg
SB02.jpg
SB03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

They look superb Andrew!

What gauge wire do you use? Any specific type as some are less supple than others!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

LB wrote: Thu Jan 11 2018 09:28 -
They look superb Andrew!

What gauge wire do you use? Any specific type as some are less supple than others!

Wire = 0.40 a 062" diameter.
Stainless welding rods are okay, but bike spokes are much much better :grin:

I just need the blades, but it seems I will be probably end up making my own.
Already have clevises I made years back - from stainless rods.

(Just an experimental idea).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

LB wrote: Thu Jan 11 2018 09:28 -
They look superb Andrew!

Wire is either 1.3mm or 1.65mm 316 stainless. Easier to buy as welding rods so it's straight. I prefer the 1.3 as it's easier to mount the hook and twist the frame. The heavier heads (4 - 6oz) are usually trolled so they don't need extra stiffness for continual casting. The 1.3 also bends easier to prevent any damage to fish that are netted. When you make your own you never give a second thought to scrapping a damaged or weakened one, stripping all the components off and recycling them to make another.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Mike - I buy my blades from (Dick) Moore's Lures in the US. Get the silicon skirt materials from him too. I think Lureparts.nl in Holland are supplied by Dick so you can get them from Europe too.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

andrew_nagel wrote: Thu Jan 11 2018 13:11 -
Mike - I buy my blades from (Dick) Moore's Lures in the US. Get the silicon skirt materials from him too. I think Lureparts.nl in Holland are supplied by Dick so you can get them from Europe too.

Hey thanks for the link to the blades :thumbs:
I have tons of silicone skirts btw.
Sometime back I used to make-up Super Plungers for my clients, heads Joe Yee, skirts form Harry Vernon aka Capt Harry.

Often wondered what a big lure would catch in the fresh? (You ever tried one or want to)?

:smile:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I'm not familiar with the lures are that you are describing Mike. Any pics?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

andrew_nagel wrote: Fri Jan 12 2018 12:54 -

Joe Yee Super Plunger - 14" to 16" long with a solid resin head and plastic skirt, they work in a 7-10second cycle of sufacing catching air then diving in a lazy wobble and releasing a trail of bubbles before sufacing to start again.
IMG_0979.JPG
Usually rigged with 12/0 hooks on a 600lb wire harness and has caught more grander blue marlin than any lure in history.
The largest on my lures went 1117lb caught off Madeira, and rigged with a single 12/0 Maruto to 600lb flourocarbon leader on 135lb Izorline.

I must dig my trolling lures out as Im sure a smaller version would annoy Mrs Pike no end.

:thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

quote="Mike J"

I have tons of silicone skirts btw.

Pred will no doubt be in touch shortly :thumbs:
Jellybait
Roach
Roach

Post by Jellybait »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jan 12 2018 18:02 -

Joe Yee Super Plunger - 14" to 16" long with a solid resin head and plastic skirt, they work in a 7-10second cycle of sufacing catching air then diving in a lazy wobble and releasing a trail of bubbles before sufacing to start again.

IMG_0979.JPG

Usually rigged with 12/0 hooks on a 600lb wire harness and has caught more grander blue marlin than any lure in history.
The largest on my lures went 1117lb caught off Madeira, and rigged with a single 12/0 Maruto to 600lb flourocarbon leader on 135lb Izorline.

I must dig my trolling lures out as Im sure a smaller version would annoy Mrs Pike no end.

I was wondering the same thing myself, I wonder has anyone tried them - there are a few lures i use for Blue fin tuna that i was thinking could raise a pike or two - some of our spreader bars we made up using small squids to imatate the small joeys they were feeding on - I must try some out in the warmer weather !!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jellybait wrote: Wed Jan 17 2018 13:31 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Jan 12 2018 18:02 -

IMG_0979.JPG

I was wondering the same thing myself, I wonder has anyone tried them - there are a few lures i use for Blue fin tuna that i was thinking could raise a pike or two - some of our spreader bars we made up using small squids to imatate the small joeys they were feeding on - I must try some out in the warmer weather !!

Ah someone after my own heart.
Ive been looking at making some spreader bars for this years Bluefin run down South.
Can you explain what materials you used and your set-up please?
I have the whole range of squids, swivels and crimps, also hd spectra for towing lines.
Thanks in advance.

(Dont think we can PM until you have 50posts but Ive sent a test anyways)?

On the trolling lure idea, I was thinking a jet head whized through a deep pool might get some interest.
Im going to try a sailfish lure when the water clears, in clear conditions all that shimmer and sway will get some attention, how long the rig lasts I wont think about (yet).

If we do not try we will never know (or learn)!

I have had outstanding success with 6" Redgills for smaller tunas, 8/0 and 60-80lb fluro rigged, I also modified an Aquapedo lead mould to produce a trolling weight that was a hit from the off, consistently catching the bigger fish.

:grin:

Jellybait
Roach
Roach

Post by Jellybait »

Hi Mike

yes great stuff , another Tuna man with a mind to think outside the box , my mates say when the see a lad headin down the shannon with out riggers trolling squids they will know who it is !!
ive sent on a pm , hopefully you get it , If you need anymore info , feel free to ask

Ive a zucker lure i use for the albacore tuna , i was thinking might work if fished like a jerk bait also maybe try a cedar plug - and im trying to rig one of the small squids with a jig head to try -