Mig welding

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Mig welding

Post by Chris Hammond »

I bought myself a compact little mig welder at the weekend and I’m trying to find a source of learning. I have done a fair bit of welding in the dim and distant past but have no real recollection of procedure.

In particular I want to learn what metals are suitable to mig welding. I bought a little book through Amazon but it’s crap!

Any experienced welders on the forums that can offer any advice please?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Re: Mig welding

Post by whitey79 »

Wouldn’t bother mate it’s not worth it

That club of yours is beyond repair and even if you welded steel shutters across the goal you would still win nothing

:coat:
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

whitey79 wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 07:24 -
Wouldn’t bother mate it’s not worth it

That club of yours is beyond repair and even if you welded on steel shutters across the goal you would still win nothing

:coat:
You will finish behind us next season. :wink:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I did a bit of gas and stick at college many years ago Chris and have done a bit of stick over the years since. I have a very old arc welder.

My advice would be youtube and get some scrap and practise. If you really wanted to get into it, night school!

Loads of stuff on here.

https://www.youtube.com/@Welddotcom/videos
Dean0
Roach
Roach

Post by Dean0 »

Mig welding is fairly easy compared to other types. What machine spec have you got.
Gasless migs will work and stick things together but it's hard to keep thing neat and consistant.
Gas migs are more expensive but easier to use and get better results.
Mild steel 1-4mm thick is a good starting point. Other metals like stainless and even aluminium can be mig welded but you will need different wires and gas.....
There are a few useful welding forums about. Try this one :
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/
An hour of practise should get you up and running for basic stuff.
ROBBO90
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ROBBO90 »

Have a look at mig welding the diy guide. Also has a good forum. There's also double boost on you tube that's worth a watch
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 18:14 -
I did a bit of gas and stick at college many years ago Chris and have done a bit of stick over the years since. I have a very old arc welder.

My advice would be youtube and get some scrap and practise. If you really wanted to get into it, night school!

Loads of stuff on here.

https://www.youtube.com/@Welddotcom/videos
Thanks Bob. I have done a reasonable amount of welding myself, albeit twenty five or so years ago.
I struggled with stick welding because the glare was too much for my bins, but was pretty comfortable with Mig welding, though it was gas assisted back then. My welder is gas free.
I don’t want to get into it at all to be honest, I just wanted the option for when I’m making stuff. I’ve bought a nice soldering station set-up for the same reason. :smile:
Last edited by Chris Hammond on Fri Apr 19 2024 05:50, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Dean0 wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 19:13 -
Mig welding is fairly easy compared to other types. What machine spec have you got.
Gasless migs will work and stick things together but it's hard to keep thing neat and consistant.
Gas migs are more expensive but easier to use and get better results.
Mild steel 1-4mm thick is a good starting point. Other metals like stainless and even aluminium can be mig welded but you will need different wires and gas.....
There are a few useful welding forums about. Try this one :
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/
An hour of practise should get you up and running for basic stuff.
Thanks for that Dean. :thumbs:

Only bought a cheap gas free one so nothing fancy.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

ROBBO90 wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 19:17 -
Have a look at mig welding the diy guide. Also has a good forum. There's also double boost on you tube that's worth a watch
Thanks Rob I will look those up. :thumbs:
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Only comment I'd make about the gasless wire is that it's very smoky & dirty so you need to clean the weld up afterwards, but not really an issue if you only intend to do the odd small bit of welding.
Good if you're working outside as there's no shielding gas to get blown away - although strategically placed thick cardboard or board helps solve that.
Mine - Clarke Turbo 151 - was gas/no-gas & after a brief play with the no-gas I use gas all the time (argoshield, full size bottle, I have a BOC account & claim the cost back through the business).
Converted it to Eurotorch a few years ago with one of the ebay kits & wished I'd done that a lot sooner, not difficult & difference in weld quality is night & day but it does mean I couldn't use the gasless if I wanted due to the wiring changes.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 05:53 -
I bought myself a compact little mig welder at the weekend and I’m trying to find a source of learning. I have done a fair bit of welding in the dim and distant past but have no real recollection of procedure.

In particular I want to learn what metals are suitable to mig welding. I bought a little book through Amazon but it’s crap!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Plethora of videos on youtube Chris?

(It's got everything else face)
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Dave Horton wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 17:19 -

There are Dave, but I can do a Q&A on here when it is all confusing. :wink:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

can be hard to find tbh. I watched one bout woodworking I think, looked a bit hipster but fair enough, then he called a coffee "Bean water" and I lost my s**t

Chris, check out AvE on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@arduinoversusevil2025

very entertaining fella but theres a lot of vids there were he talks about metal types and all that sort of stuff. think he has a few welding ones too.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

paintman wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 11:54 -
Only comment I'd make about the gasless wire is that it's very smoky & dirty so you need to clean the weld up afterwards, but not really an issue if you only intend to do the odd small bit of welding.
Good if you're working outside as there's no shielding gas to get blown away - although strategically placed thick cardboard or board helps solve that.
Mine - Clarke Turbo 151 - was gas/no-gas & after a brief play with the no-gas I use gas all the time (argoshield, full size bottle, I have a BOC account & claim the cost back through the business).
Converted it to Eurotorch a few years ago with one of the ebay kits & wished I'd done that a lot sooner, not difficult & difference in weld quality is night & day but it does mean I couldn't use the gasless if I wanted due to the wiring changes.
Thanks for that mate. I’ve only bought it really to play around with. I don’t have any commercial use in mind.
As you have said, the consensus seems to be that gas-free involves welds that need a lot more cleaning than those made with gas assistance.
Last edited by Chris Hammond on Fri Apr 26 2024 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Andrew wrote: Sat Apr 20 2024 19:51 -

can be hard to find tbh. I watched one bout woodworking I think, looked a bit hipster but fair enough, then he called a coffee "Bean water" and I lost my s**t

Chris, check out AvE on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@arduinoversusevil2025

very entertaining fella but theres a lot of vids there were he talks about metal types and all that sort of stuff. think he has a few welding ones too.
Thanks Andrew I will give it a look. :thumbs: