Sewing machine

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Sewing machine

Post by Chris Hammond »

A bit left of field I realise, but I’ve been thinking of buying one for quite a while. I’ve just discovered some brilliant tutorials by a wildlife tog about how to make your own box pouches etc , and I fancy having a go myself and maybe trying to make some bespoke fishing luggage too.

Ideally I want something reasonably heavy duty and there are a few at decent prices on eBay. I don’t want to pay a fortune because there’s every chance it will sit in my tackle den getting dusty, so I’m limited to one or two of what I think are lesser known brands. I’m going to give myself a budget of about £150ish.

So, a long shot I expect, but does anyone have any experience of them, or does anyone’s missus use one?

This one on Ebay looks ideal, but obviously I have no idea how suitable it might be?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335372761184 ... R8b35azmYw
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Sewing machine

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed May 01 2024 07:18 -
A bit left of field I realise, but I’ve been thinking of buying one for quite a while. I’ve just discovered some brilliant tutorials by a wildlife tog about how to make your own box pouches etc , and I fancy having a go myself and maybe trying to make some bespoke fishing luggage too.

Ideally I want something reasonably heavy duty and there are a few at decent prices on eBay. I don’t want to pay a fortune because there’s every chance it will sit in my tackle den getting dusty, so I’m limited to one or two of what I think are lesser known brands. I’m going to give myself a budget of about £150ish.

So, a long shot I expect, but does anyone have any experience of them, or does anyone’s missus use one?

This one on Ebay looks ideal, but obviously I have no idea how suitable it might be?
I acquired one from an old boy in the bowling club a few years ago with the same intent. It never got used so I recently gave it to a charity shop. If you'd have been a few weeks earlier you could have had it!

I'm an absolute t**t for getting things in my head to try, getting set up and abandoning it. I now tell myself to breathe, think, breathe again and click the X at the top right of the page :laughs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed May 01 2024 22:06 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Wed May 01 2024 07:18 -

I acquired one from an old boy in the bowling club a few years ago with the same intent. It never got used so I recently gave it to a charity shop. If you'd have been a few weeks earlier you could have had it!

I'm an absolute t**t for getting things in my head to try, getting set up and abandoning it. I now tell myself to breathe, think, breathe again and click the X at the top right of the page :laughs:
You and me both. :laughs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
The_Saint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by The_Saint »

The boss is a seamstress and has flipping loads of sewing machines. Used to make and sell a variety of fishing Pouches, rod bags, mats etc and used a standard bernina machine. The one you note on ebay she says will easily sew lightweight stuff, dpm cordora etc. She says it looks 80's, possibly an old sweatshop machine
from the skool of hard knox and the university of life
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

The_Saint wrote: Sat May 04 2024 08:55 -
The boss is a seamstress and has flipping loads of sewing machines. Used to make and sell a variety of fishing Pouches, rod bags, mats etc and used a standard bernina machine. The one you note on ebay she says will easily sew lightweight stuff, dpm cordora etc. She says it looks 80's, possibly an old sweatshop machine
Thanks mate. I forgot about it tbh, but I just checked, it sold for £235.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

I have an old semi industrial machine which has done a few jobs. ( I cannot remember the name)
0C1232E1-7154-4973-9CEF-96BAC44BC2D8_1_105_c.jpeg
516DF4B0-F74A-4B4E-9470-05DC94BCB00B_1_105_c.jpeg
I know its not as professional as Antrim but it dose the job

Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cheers Grant.