Why would Vegan want to support KFC or Greg's?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Why would Vegan want to support KFC or Greg's?

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 12:48 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 12:11 -
I had some assessor come on site and award me a NVQ for 360's last year but I dont think it is any use other than giving my gaffer a bit of cover. What sort of cost is it Bob?
That will have been an "In house" ticket to cover you for that particular contractor.

I found a guy locally that did my NPORS forward and side tipping (rotating) dumpers, 180 and 360 excavator above and below 10 ton with lifting ops and quick hitch for £640. Unfortunately, on the day, the 3CX was out of commission so I can get that any time for £200 which he knocked off the initial total on the day.

CPCS was going to be £800 just for the 360 with lifting ops (with my experience) for two days, a day to show me what they wanted and a day to do it, but NPORS is rapidly becoming nationally accepted due to them taking a large construction company to court for refusing their credentials.
I wouldn't mind laying out a £1,000 and getting a ticket but I'm not really experienced enough to just take a test. I've been pulling footings and grading off oversites etc for perhaps a decade or so but I'm self taught. I find any machine test a struggle. I can use a 360 reasonably well but always seem to go to pieces when I know I'm under scrutiny. What I would really like is some actual usage training.

Mind you I have the prime ingredients to become a digger driver. I'ver never met one yet that wasn't a fat grumpy barsteward and I qualify on all three counts nowadays! :laughs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 13:21 -
I had some assessor come on site and award me a NVQ for 360's last year but I dont think it is any use other than giving my gaffer a bit of cover. What sort of cost is it Bob?
That will have been an "In house" ticket to cover you for that particular contractor.

I found a guy locally that did my NPORS forward and side tipping (rotating) dumpers, 180 and 360 excavator above and below 10 ton with lifting ops and quick hitch for £640. Unfortunately, on the day, the 3CX was out of commission so I can get that any time for £200 which he knocked off the initial total on the day.

CPCS was going to be £800 just for the 360 with lifting ops (with my experience) for two days, a day to show me what they wanted and a day to do it, but NPORS is rapidly becoming nationally accepted due to them taking a large construction company to court for refusing their credentials.
I wouldn't mind laying out a £1,000 and getting a ticket but I'm not really experienced enough to just take a test. I've been pulling footings and grading off oversites etc for perhaps a decade or so but I'm self taught. I find any machine test a struggle. I can use a 360 reasonably well but always seem to go to pieces when I know I'm under scrutiny. What I would really like is some actual usage training.

Mind you I have the prime ingredients to become a digger driver. I'ver never met one yet that wasn't a fat grumpy barsteward and I qualify on all three counts nowadays! :laughs:

Just go for it Chris. You can only get experience when you're in it. I've seen some lads that can't even fill a dumper come on site. They just use agencies and wing it until they're good enough!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 13:44 -

Just go for it Chris. You can only get experience when you're in it. I've seen some lads that can't even fill a dumper come on site. They just use agencies and wing it until they're good enough!
I've got quite a bit of experience Bob and I can use one fairly well but as I said I'm self taught. I have probably picked up some bad habits. The test this assesor did was quite simple. I just had to get in position, pull a bit footing and fill a dumper. I had no problems with that other than forgetting to wait for my mate to get off the dumper before I started filling it. Yeah I think I'd probably be okay.

Sorry for the thread hijack chaps. :grin:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 13:54 -

I've got quite a bit of experience Bob and I can use one fairly well but as I said I'm self taught. I have probably picked up some bad habits. The test this assesor did was quite simple. I just had to get in position, pull a bit footing and fill a dumper. I had no problems with that other than forgetting to wait for my mate to get off the dumper before I started filling it. Yeah I think I'd probably be okay.

Me too, I pick my nose and fart in mine all the time :laughs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 13:57 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 13:54 -

Me too, I pick my nose and fart in mine all the time :laughs:
:laughs: