Venison recipe ideas

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Venison recipe ideas

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Im hopefully going to have a supply of venison soon specifically Muntjac, anyone got any ideas on recipes I could try?
Has anyone used Venison in curries and stir fry’s as I do like my spicy food, I’m not keen on any dish with red wine in it so would prefer to leave recipes that involve it.
owen k
Chub
Chub

Re: Venison recipe ideas

Post by owen k »

Had it for last sunday's roast.3 people thought it was beef until they were told afterwards,so try anything you want.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Poke a stick through its' a**e and out its' gob and turn it over a fire, that's how Robin Hood does it :wink:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Muntjac burgers are good, if you have a meat grinder. It's good for curries too :thumbs:

If you have any leftover venison...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I used to deal with dozens of Munts every year.
Try and get hold of the whole animal, they are not heavy and you will easily get the butchered joints inside one freezer drawer. Even if it comes with its jacket on its not hard to remove.
If you do get the whole beast remove the fillet first, its the best part and can be fried gently or made into a venison Wellington, iys also the part most sought after by the top chefs.
The saddle and haunches can be roasted, the shoulder boned out and used as you wish.
The neck can be curried slowly or minced into burgers.
The bones will make a warming soup base or give them to your dogs.

Muntjac is the best venison of all our deer species.

If you do get it with its jacket and have an open fire the cured skin makes a superb fireside rug, a big avantage being if a log rolls out it can be picked up and returned and you wont notice where it had lain.
If you can choose your own always get one thats been necked or head shot, and ask for the liver, not for nothing is it called the stalker perk!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Mike J wrote: Fri Feb 07 2020 09:47 -
I used to deal with dozens of Munts every year.
Try and get hold of the whole animal, they are not heavy and you will easily get the butchered joints inside one freezer drawer. Even if it comes with its jacket on its not hard to remove.
If you do get the whole beast remove the fillet first, its the best part and can be fried gently or made into a venison Wellington, iys also the part most sought after by the top chefs.
The saddle and haunches can be roasted, the shoulder boned out and used as you wish.
The neck can be curried slowly or minced into burgers.
The bones will make a warming soup base or give them to your dogs.

Muntjac is the best venison of all our deer species.

If you do get it with its jacket and have an open fire the cured skin makes a superb fireside rug, a big avantage being if a log rolls out it can be picked up and returned and you wont notice where it had lain

[align=][/align]
If you can choose your own always get one thats been necked or head shot, and ask for the liver, not for nothing is it called the stalker perk!

It will be with coat on Mike, I will be shooting them myself, thanks for info
Brian