Must have lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Must have lures

Post by martin green »

Hi everybody
This is my first post on here and I have just started to get into lure fishing. My question is what are your must have lures that you would always want with you ? I am trying to get an idea of a good allround set to start with, before I end up bankrupting myself by buying hundreds of them ! I will mainly be fishing gravel pits and rivers, with the odd day afloat on the local Trout reservoirs. Be grateful for any pointers from all you experienced guys out there. :thanks:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Re: Must have lures

Post by Lee7499 »

You need to identify what sort of size lures you are going to prefer using . Jerkbaits and swimbaits are usually the larger of most lures and will require a sturdy rod , reel and mainline to fish them safely and correctly. If you could let us know what rods and reels you have maybe some of the more experienced lure guys will point out some of the goto lures .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

You need one of everything in every size & every colour - and spares too.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Welcome to the Pit Martin. Oh, and what John said is correct :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs: .

Will.
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by martin green »

jonsykes wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 20:33 -
I know that feeling ! I do a fair bit of fly fishing and have more fly boxes than I know what to do with, with all sorts of patterns in all sizes, but probably only use 20% of patterns on a regular basis. :laughs:
The lure rod I have is rated up to 80 grams and I will be using braided line of 45lb bs. Does this seem a reasonably balanced set up ?
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

Different lures work best at different depths, although some are more versatile than others. So it would be helpful to know more about the depth of the waters you intend fishing.
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by martin green »

Most of the time I will be fishing rivers and gravel pits with depths up to 15 feet approx. I will have an occasional trip to the Trout reservoirs near me Grafham, Pitsford . I am looking for some general pointers on what have been successful patterns that are ones that you always feel confident when using.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

martin green wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 21:21 -
jonsykes wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 20:33 -
I know that feeling ! I do a fair bit of fly fishing and have more fly boxes than I know what to do with, with all sorts of patterns in all sizes, but probably only use 20% of patterns on a regular basis. :laughs:
The lure rod I have is rated up to 80 grams and I will be using braided line of 45lb bs. Does this seem a reasonably balanced set up ?
Seems okay as I use a similar rated rod with a 4000 size reel and 50lb braid with lures like Savage gear 4 plays and Salmo sliders and able to cope with most of the smaller swimbaits also. You may find that if you decide to go down the road of jerkbaits a baitcaster may be a better setup and stepping up the rating on the rod.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
thisonesmine
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by thisonesmine »

First buy 5 lure boxes, the largest you can find.
Proceed to fill the 5 boxes with any lure you like the look of.
Then buy 5 more lure boxes, and proceed to fill those.
After repeating the above many times over, then buy a small lure box and fill it with the lures you will actually use :thumbs:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

We've all done it...
and I reckon you'd catch most of them with just a few cheap shads...
Peter Newman
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Haha that's a classic. I progressed from Lure boxes to 8 very big stacking trays (a bit like bread trays but solid sides & base). They are overfilled now - & I still have about 20 Lure boxes full too - and a few buckets overflowing. And yet I still keep buying more, just done another £200 at Franglais tonight - well the wife will insist on putting strictly come dancing on, what's a man to do when he gets bored & his mind starts to wonder??
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by martin green »

Thanks for the replies. I have been to my local tackle shop this morning and picked up a few different types to start with, so will have a go on the river tomorrow and see what happens !
I can see I might have to buy some bigger lure boxes, here is so much choice available.
Phil Blakey
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Phil Blakey »

Spinnerbaits are a must have for me; they're the only lure that i always carry.
Single hook will help you with unhooking too.
Phil.
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

A Voblex. :thumbs:
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
LB
Inaugural Member
Inaugural Member

Post by LB »

Bulldawg, rep, Burt, buster jerk and you will catch anywhere.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

LB wrote: Sun Nov 05 2017 19:15 -
Bulldawg, rep, Burt, buster jerk and you will catch anywhere.
:thumbs:
Adam F
Perch
Perch

Post by Adam F »

Squirrely Burt
Bassharasser
Buster Jerk Mk2
Rep
Fox Mega Mouse

:thumbs: :handshake:
Adam Ford - Pike fanatic!
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by martin green »

Many thanks for the suggestions, looks like another trip to the tackle shop is in order. The madness has started :dizzy: I am having a few hours on the local river tomorrow, so hopefully I can christen some of the lures I have got. :grin:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Buy used, get your money back if you don't like them or use them.
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Post by norwich lad »

one i thought might get a mention for river's, was a ondex spinner size 4/5/6. also big 's' or manns minus 1. had some good fish on those 2 lures, including a 5-14 chub to the ondex. was a total surprise at the time.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
Timbo1
Roach
Roach

Post by Timbo1 »

Like most of the guys on here I've over a 100 lures :eek: , but a mate of mine cut out the decades of research (cough) and simply brought lures I caught on when we went out. So he has about 15 lures perfectly matched to the waters he fishes with me :laughs: Even so, there are days when none of the regulars work and I dig out some random lure, which becomes the lure of the day :thumbs:
martin green
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by martin green »

Fished on the river Monday morning and had around 15 Pike and 3 Perch, most were taken on some Shads fished with a jig head and also caught a couple on a shallow diving plug. Stopped at the tackle shop on the way home and added some more to my collection :thumbs: and am having a morning on a local trout fishery I am a member of later this week.
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

brian donnelly wrote: Sun Nov 05 2017 17:35 -
A Voblex. :thumbs:
A Voblex could well be a good choice on a shallow water or if the fish are up near the top. But there are better choices if the fish are say 10 feet down.

That's why I asked about the depth of the OP's waters.

For me, this is the single most important factor in choosing lures. Only then would I look at the different types and patterns.

In fact the first thing I ask when someone has caught is how deep they were fishing.
Mappie
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mappie »

I found picking a few lures that suits the casting weight and water depth your fishing and stick with them. Learn to work them sorta say. Most lures will catch most fish. But as above boxes full of the blighters is what youll end up with
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

If I was forced to fish with one lure all day for pike it would be a spinner bait. The most versatile lure you can clip on IMO. You can bottom bounce it, fish it vertically, fish it on the surface or just plain retrieve it. God knows how many pike I have caught on them over the years. Definitely a must have lure if your starting out. I'd go for something around 1.5oz and a single blade...

Wish I could start my collection from scratch. I comfortably have in excess of 1,000 lures stuffed into many planos. I have a clear out every now and again, but it gets harder each time to let go of some. Even ones I don't use or have little with. Having said that, at least I rarely have to buy any lures these days.
Piking Plonker
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

martin green wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 18:02 -
Hi everybody
This is my first post on here and I have just started to get into lure fishing. My question is what are your must have lures that you would always want with you ? I am trying to get an idea of a good allround set to start with, before I end up bankrupting myself by buying hundreds of them ! I will mainly be fishing gravel pits and rivers, with the odd day afloat on the local Trout reservoirs. Be grateful for any pointers from all you experienced guys out there. :thanks:
To be honest before you spend anymore money on lures a sound investment would be Dave Pugh's book " Lure fishing,presentation and strategy". :thumbs:

Lee Hall
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

2nd that, it's not about what lure or even what colour, it's about where put it and more importantly why...
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I know what you're saying and you're right, but occasionally, it can be simply be about what lure and what colour... more than a few times I've witnessed someone get a big pike on a trout water who's virtually done no lure fishing at all. They just chose the right lure in the right colour and cast it out... bang. In fact I saw a 26 and a 29 caught by someone who'd never lure fished before. He had found out that reps in trout pattern were catching and bought two of those. He was casting them out on a 12ft rod if memory serves. Hey ho, he did better than me that day anyway. Good pointer to do some reading. These days, you'll find almost everything you need to know on the internet. Forums like this, Youtube, etc.
Piking Plonker
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

c14r4n wrote: Sun Nov 12 2017 00:52 -
2nd that, it's not about what lure or even what colour, it's about where put it and more importantly why...
I'd "third" that! - great book I re-read.
He'd endorse Mark's points on spinnerbaits - good 'cos they're versatile.

Fear I've got 1000+ lures - but slowly realise I probably catch 90% on 10% of them!
Peter Newman
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

When you troll you realise colour is very important certainly in clear water, I find it less so in dirty water but that's not rocket science as under those conditions other factors far outweigh colour choice don't they. A 350 hp car ( with wrong coloured bonnet ) will beat a 150 hp car to the top of the hill but not today if it's got flat tyres, you can always worry about the bonnet some other time but for now just get the tyres fixed. In your favourite water they may love Perch pattern and it's the winner but today the water is so coloured that fixing the tyres is more important than a bonnet respray. Placement of lure and choice of the lure can be absolutely vital, of course it can but then who would sacrifice lure choice and it's running depth just to have the correct colour ? not me I want all three.