Zander bites.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Re: Zander bites.

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

With straight ledgering, do you prefer fixed or running leads?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Neville Fickling
Catfish
Catfish

Post by Neville Fickling »

Have always fished running Leads but plenty on sunken float paternosteres dragging up to 6 oz of lead around including the same fish twice at 19.02 and 19.04
Happy to be alive!!!!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Neville Fickling wrote: Tue Feb 14 2023 13:42 -
Have always fished running Leads but plenty on sunken float paternosteres dragging up to 6 oz of lead around including the same fish twice at 19.02 and 19.04
Agree with the paternosters amount of resistance. The last two I had were both on fixed leads.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

What do you guys (or should I say thems?) find the best/worst conditions? the only thing I can say through personal experience is night time and particularly moonlit nights for being good. The zander stocks here are low so its tricky to make any conclusions about why I dont catch and its certainly not for lack of rod hours! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
Neville Fickling
Catfish
Catfish

Depends where you are. This time of year daylight runs are possible on some waters. If you have limited time early morning until 1 pm is worth a go
Happy to be alive!!!!
dropped_run
Eel
Eel

Post by dropped_run »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Mon Feb 20 2023 21:22 -
What do you guys (or should I say thems?) find the best/worst conditions? the only thing I can say through personal experience is night time and particularly moonlit nights for being good. The zander stocks here are low so its tricky to make any conclusions about why I dont catch and its certainly not for lack of rod hours! :laughs:

Cheers, Alan
On lures I’ve stopped bothering with those nights Alan. Total waste of time for me on my venues.
The biggest thing for me this season has been wind, the windiest nights have been by far the most productive over a range of venues. Not all been warm nights either.

Dave, bait rods stayed in the car….probably should have got them out but stuck to lures instead. Jumped out of a swim and a mate went in a few hours later and had a 16 so I’m sick as piglet, obviously 🙄
James Dobie.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

dropped_run wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 11:33 -

Cheers, Alan
On lures I’ve stopped bothering with those nights Alan. Total waste of time for me on my venues.
The biggest thing for me this season has been wind, the windiest nights have been by far the most productive over a range of venues. Not all been warm nights either.

Dave, bait rods stayed in the car….probably should have got them out but stuck to lures instead. Jumped out of a swim and a mate went in a few hours later and had a 16 so I’m sick as piglet, obviously 🙄
Thanks for that :thumbs: its those kind of variables Im looking for.
I do know of a tip from Rob Shallcroft re wind in that on windy nights the zander kept their dorsals up for photos, so to get the dorsal up he blew on them and it works most times!

Has anyone got anything on water clarity/colour or anything else for that matter. I have thought that with the zanders excellent low light vision that colour in the water would give them an edge?

Cheers, Alan
Emma Hamilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Emma Hamilton »

On the two rivers i fish for zander there are always acceptions to any rule but for overall 'batting average' i follow the following.

Go pike fishing if the water temp is below 6d, the bigger zander rarely turn up below this (for me). Not many big zander photos in snow/frost seen. Windy & non biblical rain is good. Big tides are good. Big moons = fish shallower water.

rob
Neville Fickling
Catfish
Catfish

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 13:20 -

Cheers, Alan

I do know of a tip from Rob Shallcroft re wind in that on windy nights the zander kept their dorsals up for photos, so to get the dorsal up he blew on them and it works most times!

Has anyone got anything on water clarity/colour or anything else for that matter. I have thought that with the zanders excellent low light vision that colour in the water would give them an edge?

Cheers, Alan
They are adapted for exactly that having a Tapetum lucidieum ( check spelling! ) which reflects light back onto the retina rather than allowing it to escape the eye. Walleye the American cousin of the zander have an even better adapted eye
Happy to be alive!!!!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Emma Hamilton wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 15:33 -
On the two rivers i fish for zander there are always acceptions to any rule but for overall 'batting average' i follow the following.

Go pike fishing if the water temp is below 6d, the bigger zander rarely turn up below this (for me). Not many big zander photos in snow/frost seen. Windy & non biblical rain is good. Big tides are good. Big moons = fish shallower water.

rob
:thumbs: Water temp is over 8 at the moment and the rods are out. Had a tip from another angler that if he had time to feel the lead down, it was to deep.

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Neville Fickling wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 16:55 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 13:20 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan
They are adapted for exactly that having a Tapetum lucidieum ( check spelling! ) which reflects light back onto the retina rather than allowing it to escape the eye. Walleye the American cousin of the zander have an even better adapted eye
Always nice to see those cats eyes come up in the dark!

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Just had a 20........lb pike!

Cheers, Alan
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Big fish. :eek:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
The great Gavino
Perch
Perch

Post by The great Gavino »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 19:41 -

Cheers, Alan
Brilliant mate. Result!
The great Gavino
Perch
Perch

Not been able to get out much this season as I have a 16 month old, another one on the way and signed off work for 9 weeks so far. Not conducive for driving to the fens for overnighters. Plus, on the nights I have done I’ve not seen a single Zander. Plenty of small pike though. I have a river 10 minutes down the road that I caught a Zander from years ago. Maybe these days I’ll be sticking closer to home
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

The great Gavino wrote: Wed Feb 22 2023 09:12 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Feb 21 2023 19:41 -

Cheers, Alan
Brilliant mate. Result!
Thank you :thumbs: had another three pike tonight but confidence for a big Z is good!

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

The great Gavino wrote: Wed Feb 22 2023 09:16 -
Not been able to get out much this season as I have a 16 month old, another one on the way and signed off work for 9 weeks so far. Not conducive for driving to the fens for overnighters. Plus, on the nights I have done I’ve not seen a single Zander. Plenty of small pike though. I have a river 10 minutes down the road that I caught a Zander from years ago. Maybe these days I’ll be sticking closer to home
We have to make our fishing suit us sometimes and not the other way round!

Cheers, Alan
Neville Fickling
Catfish
Catfish

If you pm
Me I might be able to tell you the status of the zander in that river
Happy to be alive!!!!
The great Gavino
Perch
Perch

Neville Fickling wrote: Thu Feb 23 2023 09:49 -
If you pm
Me I might be able to tell you the status of the zander in that river
PM sent
dropped_run
Eel
Eel

Post by dropped_run »

Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Feb 22 2023 08:38 -

Sixth fish this season out of a swim I’ve fished the same day, or that I’ve weighed for someone bigger than my PB…at least I’m in the right areas :laughs: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
James Dobie.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

dropped_run wrote: Thu Feb 23 2023 23:09 -
Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Feb 22 2023 08:38 -

Sixth fish this season out of a swim I’ve fished the same day, or that I’ve weighed for someone bigger than my PB…at least I’m in the right areas :laughs: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Then it will happen, look at the quote at the very bottom of my posts!

Cheers, Alan
The great Gavino
Perch
Perch

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Feb 23 2023 00:06 -
We have to make our fishing suit us sometimes and not the other way round!

Cheers, Alan
Very true, Alan. I’m due a few!
Mark Phillips
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mark Phillips »

Cheers, Alan
"Zander stocks are low" :scratch: If you're talking about the river system I think you are, then OK, they're not as numerous as they once were; but quality has replaced quantity, and there's still good numbers of zander about. We never struggle to catch them when we target them on baits or lures :shrug:
Piking Plonker
Emma Hamilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 18:46 -

Cheers, Alan
"Zander stocks are low" :scratch: If you're talking about the river system I think you are, then OK, they're not as numerous as they once were; but quality has replaced quantity, and there's still good numbers of zander about. We never struggle to catch them when we target them on baits or lures :shrug:
Yeh, you need to up your game , Alan :laughs:

rob
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

dropped_run wrote: Thu Feb 23 2023 23:09 -
It'll happen James.

I had a monkey like that on my back for years, one of these days it'll be YOUR time mate. :cool: :thumbs:

(and I suspect you'll savour it even more face)
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Emma Hamilton wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 19:30 -

Cheers, Alan

rob
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Cheers, Alan
Average size is good, Mark at around 8lbs but numbers are quite low for me and my couple of angling neighbours, I am also involved in the local angling society. Done more time lately with course baits and they are certainly not climbing up the rods but I do plan to push on into the warmer weather and hopefully get a few more and bigger.

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Cheers, Alan

rob
Well I have maxed the rod hours out now so must simply be a bit sh1t! :red:

Cheers, Alan
Emma Hamilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Emma Hamilton »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Feb 26 2023 10:42 -

Cheers, Alan

rob

Cheers, Alan
Your'll find them Al. :thumbs: Like everyone, with a bit of time on your hands, good baits and simple methods your'll catch a good sample of what's available. Hope your sample includes a monster.That's the nice buzz.

rob
cookiesdaughtersdad
Catfish
Catfish

Emma Hamilton wrote: Sun Feb 26 2023 10:54 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Feb 26 2023 10:42 -

Cheers, Alan

rob

Cheers, Alan
Your'll find them Al. :thumbs: Like everyone, with a bit of time on your hands, good baits and simple methods your'll catch a good sample of what's available. Hope your sample includes a monster.That's the nice buzz.

rob
Thanks :thumbs: my little target is to catch a few more, one or two a week would be nice with a double included although a pb would be simply magic :clap:
Running low on the bait now so must get the float rod out today for a few hours.

Cheers, Alan