Firkin rats

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Firkin rats

Post by The predator »

Getting a fair few round the property.
The foundations under the single storey bathroom extension are pish poor and not very deep (gotta underpin it when the weather is better)
With the bath discharging, it has created a nice warm environment for the little t***s to make nest under the floor.
I've tried rat traps and caught a few but I quite often find the trap has gone off but no rat. Also, one trap went missing, so I think maybe a fox has picked up the trap, complete with the dead rat and sneaked off somewhere to remove and eat the rat.
Poison is a no go because they could die in their nests under the floor and stink to high heaven.
Any of you yokel types got any ideas of getting rid of the feckers (the wife wont have a dog yet!!!)
Incumbam, et sternebant
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Firkin rats

Post by Andrew »

The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Bloody hell Andy......even I couldnt miss with one of those bad boys! :afraid:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

MK4 fen Traps is what you want pal not these wooden or plastic ones you get from the garden centre Andy. What are they feeding on? please tell me you are not feeding birds in the garden :eek:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Woodchucker wrote:
MK4 fen Traps is what you want pal not these wooden or plastic ones you get from the garden centre Andy. What are they feeding on? please tell me you are not feeding birds in the garden :eek:
:laughs: no, I'm conscious of the effects of rat poison, both taken directly by wildlife and the build up in the food chain Ade.
Will take a look at those traps.
Tyke would have been a bunus here mate!
Incumbam, et sternebant
Piker Nick
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Piker Nick »

Have used a "4 figure deadfall trap" before with good results up the farm for rats. All you need is a paving slab and some sticks. Plus a steady hand when setting. :laughs:
Make sure you block the sides and front in from preventing cats from getting in. Otherwise you will have a flat moggy. Plenty of vids on YouTube.
Also used a see saw trap. Basically it's a bucket with a piece of wood perched on top, baited with peanut butter. Rat falls in bucket. :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

them flatlands breed some wopping great rats, we had tons of them when I had the kennels nr Boston, never ending supply courtesy of the Hobhole Drain.
We tried the fen traps but the big rats wouldn't go near them, we only caught them by accident if they got disturbed and bolted into them. Plus in spite of putting them behind bits of planking etc we caught too many blackbirds and robins in them. Eventually we found that scooping out some soil and putting a small dead fish under the trap then covering the trap lightly with sieved soil got the feckers every night. We had some that must have weighed 2lb or more. Tie the trap to a building brick with a good length of baler string cos they will drag it off if only a paw gets caught---and yes they will (or their mates will) chew a foot off to get out of it, sometimes found my traps and bricks upto 10yds away from where I set it with a rats foot still in it.
They right little swines for digging under foundations, especially raft ones. They dug a great amount from under the stables we had hundreds of the things underneath, closed most of the holes off and run the stihl saw exhaust through one for a while---should have seen them come out, 3 terriers we had couldn't keep up and missed loads.
You need a good air rifle (gas not piston) mate , put a bit of corn on the ground just out of cover ,or any bait small enough so they have to eat it on the spot and not run off with it, put a red light over it so you can see them (they cant see it) get a nice comfy chair a few tins and a score card and have a good evening plinking rats. Gets addictive :smile:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

The trick with traps is to never touch them with bare hands so you leave no scent on them, I left mine hanging outside on a tree when not in use again to stop scent. Rats and rodents have a major problem with new objects and it can take a while for them to go near anything. always put traps against a wall because rats use their hair to guide around areas so they always like something to keep in contact to a wall etc. so like its been said above put a slab against a wall and set the plate against the wall :thumbs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Woodchucker wrote:
The trick with traps is to never touch them with bare hands so you leave no scent on them, I left mine hanging outside on a tree when not in use again to stop scent. Rats and rodents have a major problem with new objects and it can take a while for them to go near anything. always put traps against a wall because rats use their hair to guide around areas so they always like something to keep in contact to a wall etc. so like its been said above put a slab against a wall and set the plate against the wall :thumbs:
probably why my dead fish and a bit of sieved soil worked, walk in traps would take upto 2 weeks before they started catching, but very few big rats went in them.
they used to nick my eggs out the hen house.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Kev Berry wrote:
Woodchucker wrote:
probably why my dead fish and a bit of sieved soil worked, walk in traps would take upto 2 weeks before they started catching, but very few big rats went in them.
they used to nick my eggs out the hen house.
Horrible little feckers Kev :mad:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I like rats, make lovely little pets :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:

Cheers Alan
Ever heard of bubonic plague Al? Used to be very common at one time........and still about! :afraid:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

I like rats laying on their side leaking , the other side of the cross hairs on my Daystate :shoot:
Andy Carpenter
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

The predator wrote:

Cheers Alan
Ever heard of bubonic plague Al? Used to be very common at one time........and still about! :afraid:
cousin had two as pets. actually pretty cool things had one sitting next to me for a good while getting some heat of my leg or somethin, friendly too. hair feels really wirey plus its freakin hillarious when it looks like their shaggin like peoples :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

The predator wrote:

Cheers Alan
I'm quire sure "Sweety and Cheeky" were in the clear of the plague as the were flees :laughs: .
Incredibly clean creatures that would spend time washing themselves after being handled :grin:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mr_Kosh
Roach
Roach

Post by Mr_Kosh »

:thumbs: ratkillers.com twas a topper , best twas blow gun joe , he did popp some madness , alas tiss gone ....!!! :cry: :cry:

:pale: Abit like thee best post from pike and preds ...!!!
Rampton time tiss in of deed a pleasure , but Dr Vange can blow thee stack .
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

The predator wrote:

Cheers Alan
I'm quire sure "Sweety and Cheeky" were in the clear of the plague as the were flees :laughs: .
Incredibly clean creatures that would spend time washing themselves after being handled :grin:

Cheers Alan
Are you sure they weren't Siberian Filigree Hamsters Al? :eek:
Incumbam, et sternebant
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

The predator wrote:
The predator wrote:

Cheers Alan

Cheers Alan
Are you sure they weren't Siberian Filigree Hamsters Al? :eek:

Am I sure they weren't what'as :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

The predator wrote:
Getting a fair few round the property.
The foundations under the single storey bathroom extension are pish poor and not very deep (gotta underpin it when the weather is better)
With the bath discharging, it has created a nice warm environment for the little t***s to make nest under the floor.
I've tried rat traps and caught a few but I quite often find the trap has gone off but no rat. Also, one trap went missing, so I think maybe a fox has picked up the trap, complete with the dead rat and sneaked off somewhere to remove and eat the rat.
Poison is a no go because they could die in their nests under the floor and stink to high heaven.
Any of you yokel types got any ideas of getting rid of the feckers (the wife wont have a dog yet!!!)

Just get a dog anyway!!!
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

They do come in handy at times :laughs:
Mick.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Freako wrote:
if they your slippers I take it you havnt got a dog :laughs: would last about 5 mins I reckon in a terrier house
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Kev Berry wrote:
Freako wrote:
if they your slippers I take it you havnt got a dog :laughs: would last about 5 mins I reckon in a terrier house
I have got a dog of sorts Kev :laughs:
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Freako wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Freako wrote:
I have got a dog of sorts Kev :laughs:
A dog that probably wears slippers. :roll:
adam11
Roach
Roach

Post by adam11 »

Snares are effective on small quantities and are working for you 24\7 till full, don't be told theyre humane but they do work. or a night vision unit on an air rifle can be fun but on small quantities probably be best to expect a blank or two and in reality I doubt that would put you on top of em
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Biffs slippers :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Cyprio wrote:
image.jpeg
\\

:boing:
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Cyprio wrote:
image.jpeg
:thumbs: :laughs:
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

So....I bought one of these:

Rat and Mouse Repeller

The Beacon FM89 Advanced Mouse & Rat Repeller is the best available rodent repeller from Rentokil. This device uses both ultrasonic and electromagnetic technology, emitting a high-frequency sound and transmitting an electromagnetic field through the electrical cables of a building to drive rats and mice from nests within cavity walls, under floors and in roof spaces, where the majority of rodent problems are found.

One repeller can cover up to 232 square metres (2,500 sq ft), although it is recommended to purchase one unit per floor, i.e. upstairs and downstairs. It does not have any adverse effect on wiring or electric appliances. The repeller is perfectly safe for use around children, cats and dogs, but should not be used in a location with other rodent pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs or hamsters

Does it work though?

DOES IT FECK!!!!!!
Incumbam, et sternebant
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

The predator wrote:
So....I bought one of these:

Rat and Mouse Repeller

The Beacon FM89 Advanced Mouse & Rat Repeller is the best available rodent repeller from Rentokil. This device uses both ultrasonic and electromagnetic technology, emitting a high-frequency sound and transmitting an electromagnetic field through the electrical cables of a building to drive rats and mice from nests within cavity walls, under floors and in roof spaces, where the majority of rodent problems are found.

One repeller can cover up to 232 square metres (2,500 sq ft), although it is recommended to purchase one unit per floor, i.e. upstairs and downstairs. It does not have any adverse effect on wiring or electric appliances. The repeller is perfectly safe for use around children, cats and dogs, but should not be used in a location with other rodent pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs or hamsters

Does it work though?

DOES IT FECK!!!!!!
did you not read my post in the "b*****d mice" thread about these things Pred ???

told y'all they don't work :laughs:

how far have you managed to throw it :laughs:
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Not bothered about mice Kev......aint no feckin room for them! :eek:
Never read that thread (not properly anyway! :red:
Thought of making a tunnel with some rat grub inside. Then a few flying trebles on traces inside to snag the c***s.
Then I thought about having to unhook the feckers! :laughs:
Incumbam, et sternebant