Ferox

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Ferox

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Will Smith wrote: Wed May 08 2024 09:40 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed May 08 2024 06:27 -
I've had about 6 in total Will, the best one 9 lb so not the ones you're searching for !!
You'd need three lifetimes and that's assuming they are even present.
Well they certainly are present Steve, just need a big dollop of luck to speed the job up a bit :laughs: .
I am a relatively new crusader to be fair, we only started fishing for them about 15 years ago now, we never ever picked one up when piking though.
Going to try a new (to me) method next week, just to keep things interesting.

Will.
Are 20+lbers (30+ were always rare) still showing Will ?
They are certainly willing to hit big lures in proportion to their size and if they miss the hooks they don't seem bothered to try again, although I've not caught lots of Ferox I'm sure it's a higher percentage than you'd ever see with Pike.
So I wonder what I'm doing (wrong ) to catch the odd one then ? :grin:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I have heard of a couple of thirties, both probably from about ten years ago at a guess, and a number of twenty plus fish but, a rear beast indeed is a fish of that sort of calibre Steve.
I do not set myself unrealistic targets in my fishing, but I would really love to get one into double figures, a twenty or thirty will probably remain the suff of dreams, however, in it to win it so they say.
We will fish six days straight next week 50-60 hrs, and it is highly likely that we will blank on each of them :laughs: :laughs: .

Will.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

6 days with all that scenery - Heaven ! In those surroundings a fish should be a bonus so why do they get you tearing you hair out :laughs:
Best of luck :thumbs:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

It's one of the hardest waters to fish for them but when you finally get them they are definitely a bit special.
:thumbs:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu May 09 2024 07:20 -
6 days with all that scenery - Heaven ! In those surroundings a fish should be a bonus so why do they get you tearing you hair out :laughs:
Best of luck :thumbs:
Not much of my hair left to tear out Steve :laughs: , but agreed, fish up there are always a bonus and are certainly not guaranteed :thumbs: .

Will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've got a mate with some whacky rod ideas who's going ferox trolling with his downriggers. He brought me a pair of 9.5ft Normark 8/9 fly blanks to build up for the job. :dizzy:
_7514118.jpg
_7514120.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I can see the idea Dave rigger rods are generally soft action rods and easy to bend into the clips . But do they have the cohones to control a double figure ferox. ?

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Mon May 13 2024 16:35 -
I can see the idea Dave rigger rods are generally soft action rods and easy to bend into the clips . But do they have the cohones to control a double figure ferox. ?
That's my concern. They don't feel like there's much power in the butt half to me.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

He could end up killing fish if they totally exhaust themselves. We use salmon/ pike rods and purpose built trolling and Rigger rods with 18lb mono or heavy braid .
Are people fly fishing for pike with this weight of rod. ?

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Mon May 13 2024 18:13 -
He could end up killing fish if they totally exhaust themselves. We use salmon/ pike rods and purpose built trolling and Rigger rods with 18lb mono or heavy braid .
Are people fly fishing for pike with this weight of rod. ?
Having only caught one ferox of 6lb odd myself, I would have thought something at least 2.5lb test would be more like it.

I've seen 8/9 weight rods recommended for pike fly fishing, but there is always the matter of action and poser distribution to bear in mind. These feel very much like trout blanks to me. I'll have to put a line through one and see if the waggle test has deceived me.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

It's a fairly long rod for down rigging too but that could be part of the plan. When the bait is ripped off the clip the rod pops up and helps to set the hooks . So if these rods are bent right round ....but a normal rigger rod or even a medium spinning rod can do the same.
It's a interesting one this.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Also just thinking about fly rods and large fish. The fly line being dragged around must add to the fight and the tiring of the fish. If this guys thinking about braid of something I don't think they will be up to it.
I had a 8.5lb ferox last week with a fairly heavy rod probably slightly too heavy for down rigging a okuma multiplier with 18lb mono and at some points of the fight I had No control over the fish at all.

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I'll rig one up tomorrow and get back on this.
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

If you read upon saltwater fly fishing, there is plenty of info on what decent fly rods can/cannot do.

For example, Trey Combs (author of ‘blue water fly fishing’) talks about snapping 2x 10 wt rods in an afternoon - because the rods broke before his 16lb leader. He was fishing for jack crevalle - so not huge fish.

I’m going to Cuba next week and will use a 9 or a 10 rod for permit (10wt when it is windy). I will use a 12 for tarpon. Both scenarios are in shallow water - so no major issues with ‘lifting’ the fish until it is right beside the boat. In deeper water ‘lifting’ the fish becomes an issue and an 8wt won’t be much use……

Another point worth making is that the top guys tie close to 100% knots as they are often line class fishing - so 16lb line actually breaks at 15 ish rather than the 10 or 12 that would happen with ‘normal’ knots.

As an aside, many years ago I went ‘mooching’ for king salmon off Vancouver island. Long soft rods and mono lines with plug cut herring as bait in very deep water. A total disaster….The fish took the bait, the rod bent right round and then shortly afterwards the fish fell off. How I wished I had had my Terry Eustace big pike rods with me !
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

A lot of people who troll use much heavier rods than we used to did in the 80s . I do not do any downrigging but did have half a day after coho salmon while on Vancover island. Old fashioned bendy glass rods. A friend of mine uses uptide rods bent well over when clipped. I troll with 6 ft 6 jerkbait rods which seem fine to me. I would never go lighter
Happy to be alive!!!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Having run a line through the rings, tied it to the hook in my garage wall and given one of the rods a good bending my conclusion is that there's not enough 'grunt' in the butt. The power does increase as you bend the rod but not enough to my mind.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

davelumb wrote: Tue May 14 2024 15:39 -
Having run a line through the rings, tied it to the hook in my garage wall and given one of the rods a good bending my conclusion is that there's not enough 'grunt' in the butt. The power does increase as you bend the rod but not enough to my mind.

They could be excellent perch rods. ?

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Tue May 14 2024 17:12 -

That's my thinking. I've also rebuilt a 6ft Winklepicker quiver tip rod for him for vertical jigging for perch. I said he has some whacky ideas...
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

davelumb wrote: Tue May 14 2024 17:52 -

That's my thinking. I've also rebuilt a 6ft Winklepicker quiver tip rod for him for vertical jigging for perch. I said he has some whacky ideas...

What would you suggest for a DR Rod then Dave if you were asked to make one.?🤔

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Tue May 14 2024 19:43 -

My first step would be to consult Andrew Nagel! :grin:

I sold a few of my Baitblaster Lights (a cheaper, softer version of my P-1) for ferox on Awe. Not sure if they were for downrigger's though.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

IMG_0528.JPG
.......... did someone say DR rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

davelumb wrote: Tue May 14 2024 20:25 -

I sold a few of my Baitblaster Lights (a cheaper, softer version of my P-1) for ferox on Awe. Not sure if they were for downrigger's though.

I think a few more of your rods made it to Awe. My pal Danny has a few I believe and Alan KW.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue May 14 2024 20:31 -
IMG_0528.JPG

Classy. 👍🏻

FEROX 85 GROUP
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fergie68 wrote: Tue May 14 2024 21:09 -
davelumb wrote: Tue May 14 2024 20:25 -

I think a few more of your rods made it to Awe. My pal Danny has a few I believe and Alan KW.
I remember Alan having some, and the name Danny rings a bell. :thumbs:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue May 14 2024 20:31 -
IMG_0528.JPG
It reads dast?
Happy to be alive!!!!
Steve Le maitre